BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

The majority of road users of course.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    The majority of road users of course.
    Ah pedestrians!
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Aren't they on the pavement?

Occuli Imperator

They count as road users and are invariably higher by number.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    The point is that it should be only through roadworks which you would be expected to drive more slowly through anyway, because the lanes are narrower. The bigger issue is that there was an illegal expectation that the cyclist should dismount and how that passes onto the other road users, like you suggest that you have some kind of "right" to do the speed limit, which really isn't the case, you only have the duty not to exceed it. In the same way if I were driving a milkfloat at 10mph you would have no possibility of overtaking me.

I would find that equally as selfish although milk is at least useful. It might not be a 'right' to drive to the speed limit. You would probably consider it pretty crap as a cyclist if I chose to stay 30 cm from the kerb and you couldn't undertake me - but I'd be within the suggested limits of my duty to obey all road signs. The thing is that if I go to work by my choice of transport, my doing the top legal speed does not hold anyone up. Whereas a cyclist very rarely cycles at the top legal speed for any length of time. So of 2 peoples individual choices, 1 impacts selfishly on others and one doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    They count as road users and are invariably higher by number.
    Ha by that argument a pig having escaped from a farmer's field is also a road user, as is a poxy muntjack dear bounding out of thetford forest and smashing up cars. I think seeing how silly that is we can call road users as people who purposely transit via roads and whilst pedestrian's may do this accidently from time to time, they are not road users.

That is the exact inverse of calling me a pedestrian if I lose control and mount the pavement.

Pshaw.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Occuli Imperator

Ok, firstly cyclists very rarely travel at the legal speed, because, like horses, there is no top legal speed. So that is bunkem.

Also, cyclists don't undertake, they filter, this is legally enshrined in UK law, also, if you were going slowly enough for me to pass and there was not sufficient room on the one side, I would pick the other. I've done it before and will do again.

Of course you should obey all the rules of the road, as cyclists should. Unless you suggest cyclists are all law breakers, which if you are, then I suggest you observe that more cars on the road without tax, insurance, valid MOT, or being driven by those without a licence than there are commuters

Secondly, how by cycling am I selfishly impacting on others?
    + Is my method costing more money than it raises, causing unfair taxation of those who choose not to use it?
    + Does my method contribute to air pollution that impacts millions?
    + Does my method contribute to general obesity and massive costs to the NHS for obsce related illnesses?
    + Does my method contribute to global warming and climate change?

You seem completely persuaded that you have some right to do the speed limit. If I drove my car at 20mph you would be held up. As it is when I travel to work I do not hold anyone up, and even if I did, that isn't illegal or shelfish.

Non-humans do not count as road users. Pedestrians generally, walk in the direction that the road goes and flow and ebb just as traffic do. Indeed, it is quite often traffic engineers forget totally that pedestrians exist and the ease of pedestrians movement is vitally important. Getting people walking or cycling would massively decrease the amount of cars on the road which will massively decrease:
    + Congestion
    + Cost of road maintenance
    + Pollution
    + Obesity costs

Let us have a look at some figures from the NTS:
    +18% car journeys are under 1 mile
    +67% car journeys are under 5 miles

Heck, imagine what would if one in five cars weren't on the roads. I imagine the next traffic queue is 20% shorter.

You know that whole issue is that during road works cyclists were being told to dismount when there is no legal justification for doing so and the signage once again reinforces the notion that they are some kind of second class road user. If there isn't room to over take someone, don't do it. The white line is not some force field that you must keep within when overtaking a bike.

Chapter-Master

They are second class road users.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

The 20% thing can be observed during School Holidays.

And for an extreme example, weekends. I worked yesterday, and drove in (have free parking in Nodnol, which is nice!). Need to be in by 8:30, so left at 7:00, as thats the same sort of time the coach takes during the week.

Yeah, I was in the office by 7:54.....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    They are second class road users.
    No, and this is the problem, it is people who believe this are the sorts of people that kill cyclists.

Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast