BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

In the same way they do with CCTV from other sources?

But seriously we are also talking about if I walked in off the street to the police station with the recorder going showing no break no opportunity to tamper with it on the original device.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Fair enough.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

[URL="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3879137.ece"]Driver who killed two cyclists avoids life ban and jail term[/URL]

Background:

Mrs Fyfe, 75, died two days after McCourt clipped the back wheel of her bike as she cycled through Edinburgh in August 2011.

At the end of his trial at Edinburgh Sheriff Court, it emerged that McCourt, 49, had previously been jailed for two years after being convicted in 1986 of causing the death of another cyclist, 22-year-old George Dalgity, by reckless driving.
    The Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh rejected claims that the sentence of 300 hours and 5 year driving ban was insufficient.

Lord Menzies wrote: “Despite the sheriff’s error in treating the fact that Mrs Fyfe was not wearing a cycle helmet as a mitigatory factor, we are unable to say that the sentence of a community payback order with the maximum number of unpaid hours was unduly lenient.

“It did not fall outside the range of sentences which the sheriff applying his mind to all the relevant factors could reasonably have considered appropriate.”
    So the original judgement which failed to take into account the previous murder also wrongly took into account a "mitigating facotr of not wearing a helmet" it was still considered the correct sentence.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

See the second one, I'm not sure warrants jail, it's an accident same as clipping a car parked near a corner. It's unfortunate that a cyclist will just come off worse in this case.
    But the first should have warranted jail.

Occuli Imperator

Still sounds very similiar to involuntary manslaughter.

Chapter-Master

If you're in an accident, and they can't apportion blame, and the other car driver dies, you're very unlikely to go to prison for it.
    It's just unfortunate as a cyclist the death part is more likely.
    Especially as blind spots are getting worse in modern cars. Did you know you can hide an entire bus behind the front pillar of an insignia they've made them that wide?

Occuli Imperator

There is no such thing as an accident, they are collisions since under normal conditions they require someone at fault to make them happen.

But this is where strict liability comes in, so if you drive into the back of someone it is always your fault, regardless of how erratic their braking is or whatever, similiarly cars coming out of side roads are always at fault for a collision. Hence they are two of the most common insurance scams. This one he deliberately drove into the back of a cyclist no whether that was because of inattention or whatever you whould have thought having been in a collision with one before he would be more wary.

I didn't know that about the insignia, it is worrying. It also suggests that cyclists to avoid such issues should be more central in the lane, though I know that that will not be what you would want.

Chapter-Master

I would imagine it's even worse the closer you're sat to the windscreen?
    But I've certainly noticed it in modern cars, the blindspots are far bigger than in my older car.

Occuli Imperator

It is also that cars are getting wider.

Chapter-Master

That too. But I've also realised the smaller the oncoming car, the more likely it is to be on my side of the road...

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast