BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

But thats the point, the people being hit with it haven't any victims, and the people with victims are normally ordered to pay compensation.
    They're hitting people convicted of (not necessarily this individual case) relatively minor offences (like littering or speeding) with extra costs to cover for their failure to enforce compensation awards.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

No, that would be through a civil case and damages

Revenue raised from the Victim Surcharge is used to fund victim services through the Victim and Witness General Fund
    A court must order the Victim Surcharge when it deals with an offender in respect of an offence committed on or after 1 October 2012.

List of funded organisations: [url]https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/victims-and-witnesses-funding-awards[/url]

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why they don't include that in any fine and just make it clear that it is proportioned to state and to fund vicitim services
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Occuli Imperator

Stop me if I have done this one before.

As part of the Glasgow Games, Malawi sent across a pair of cyclists who took their bikes into FLBS (Billy Bilsland Cycles) for repairs, after explaining what they were for, the shop repaired and replaced as necessary to get the bikes into good working order. Then thinking about it contacted the team and lent them two of their top of the range bikes to ride for the competition (which were signficantly better than those they brought in to be mended).

The bike shop was founded by Bill Bilsland (former British pro-cyclist, who competed in the 1968 Commonwealth Games) and now run by his son.

The news has flooded the cycling newsites with general adoration for this simple act by the shop.

In response to this overwheling internet love Bilsland said:
    “We have been humbled by the amount of interest our small gesture has generated. We have decided to donate the 2 Genesis Volare 20 road bikes to Leonard and Missi.”

It also provided a link to the Scotland Malawi Partnership charity, in case “any of our lovely customers would like to help out as well.”

[url]http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/charity-web/charity/finalCharityHomepage.action?charityId=1002718[/url]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I saw a carbon fibre bike at weekend in a shop, so had a go at lifting it.
    They're practically weightless, was amazed. But it was £1100

Occuli Imperator

Worryingly that would be one of the heavier cheaper CF bikes.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a beautiful bike which if money were no object I would be riding:

Scott Foil Premium Di2 £8,999

Frame+fork 340g +/- a few g depending on sizing

Then add all the kit on and it bulks up to a UCI defying 6.57kg.

Chapter-Master

Yeah I can believe it.

Occuli Imperator

But the technology is getting cheaper all the time, so you can ride a professional frame for as little as say 4 grand, then you add the components and it puts the price up.

There are a couple of sub £1000 CF bikes out there at the moment, 5 years ago there was none.

The biggest draw back at the moment is the rules which specify a lower weight limit so there is no point building a bike that would be used by professionals, only they can't as they are underweight.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    You get red light jumpers on all forms of transport unfortunately, though I dodn't see you advocating for those to be involved in potentially life threatening situations, despite the result of car/bus/lorry drivers skipping them being far more fatal than bicyclists.
    For a couple of reasons Wolfy. Firstly, I didn't advocate for the cyclist to be involved in a potentially life threatening situation, I just said i don't mind if people like that are knocked off. A subtle difference to be sure, but I am not advocating it in the statement above. Not minding something is different from 'I am casting the knuckle bones and beseeching my gods to bring him crashing down'.

Secondly, this thread is not about buses/cars/lorrys - so I have not commented on them. Tbh I wouldn't mind if light jumping examples of any of these forms of transport were involved in accidents, especially BMW/Audi drivers. Were this the 'Crash course in bus driving' thread I would similarly comment.'

Finally, as a supporter of the Darwin Awards I really don't care if any road user removes themselve from the genepool and simultaneously provides a real life example of why breaking the laws imposed by a democratically elected government is a bad thing. Especially if it is all attributable to their own action and an ordinary decent road user is not liable.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Occuli Imperator

I still find it hard to fathom that you are ok with the idea of someone who breaks the law being assaulted.

Chapter-Master

Tbf I wouldn't wish the inconvenience on the innocent party.
    Though I would laugh (wrongly) to see one of those chav mopeds they ride with three on and no helmets under a couple of tons of defender...

Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast