BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Hallucination Effects on Deathwing Knights

Very specific question:

Hallucination is successfully cast on Deathwing Knights and you get the result where they attack themselves. If they have not yet activated their Mace's in the game would they use the once per game activation to attack themselves with their best weapon?

Veteran-Sergeant

I don't have my rule book with me, but I think your example falls under the 'no effect' because the Dreadknight can't attack itself.

It does make me think back to those 'Why do you keep hitting yourself?' moments with one of my younger brothers though

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by biffster666 View Post
    I don't have my rule book with me, but I think your example falls under the 'no effect' because the Dreadknight can't attack itself.

It does make me think back to those 'Why do you keep hitting yourself?' moments with one of my younger brothers though
    Deathwing Knights, not Dreadknight. One is in the Dark Angels book, the other is in the Grey Knights.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Veteran-Sergeant

I was chuckling at the memory more than thinking about your question, totally my bad 40kgamer My DA codex is another book I didn't bring with me , but does Hallucination make any reference to activating powers/weapons/items abilities? I don't think so (don't have the rule book with me though), so I'd say they'd just bash each other with standard CC attacks. Hopefully someone with access to their rules/codex will be able to provide a more helpful response than Tynskel and I did dude.

Brother-Captain

biffster666, don't take everything so personally. You were incorrect, so just take it and move on.

As for the Hallucination effect: no, they are not able to activate a special ability to hit themselves. Instead they would simply hit each other with their power mauls/maces.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Sergeant

I don't agree with you guys...
    If the targeted unit has a cc weapon with special abilities you should be able to activate them.. Also, even one-model units like dreadknighs, deamon princes, wraithknights etc. will hit themself..
    For example a dreadknight is likely going to instant kill himself with his force weapon.

Just read the description: "Every model inflicts a single hit on his own unit, resolved at that models' own Strengths, but using the Strength bonuses, AP values and special rules of their most powerful close combat weapons."

Librarian

Hallucination wold only be able to use the ability if its tied to the weapon. If the ability is tied to the unit, then no. IE:
    Hammerhand is a Unit Psyker Power. Therefore, the ability would not force that power to be used.
    Force Weapon's Activation is tied to each individual weapon. Therefore, they could be activated by the Hallucination power.

Something to note against Grey Knight Terminators/Paladins, is the inclusion of the Brotherhood Banner, as it allows the unit to "Auto-Pass" their force weapon tests.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by biffster666 View Post
    I was chuckling at the memory more than thinking about your question, totally my bad 40kgamer
    No worries mate. I do the same thing all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    "Every model inflicts a single hit on his own unit, resolved at that models' own Strengths, but using the Strength bonuses, AP values and special rules of their most powerful close combat weapons."
    This is what trips me up. The activated weapon profile is their most powerful ccw but it seems odd to force them to use up their single use weapon. Poor Deathwing Knights...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    Force Weapon's Activation is tied to each individual weapon. Therefore, they could be activated by the Hallucination power.

Something to note against Grey Knight Terminators/Paladins, is the inclusion of the Brotherhood Banner, as it allows the unit to "Auto-Pass" their force weapon tests.
    Hadn't encountered this with force weapons before. That is just nasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    Hallucination wold only be able to use the ability if its tied to the weapon. If the ability is tied to the unit, then no. IE:
    Hammerhand is a Unit Psyker Power. Therefore, the ability would not force that power to be used.
    I concur. Since Smite Mode is a property of the Mace of Absolution itself, I see no reason why Hallucination couldn't force it to be used, just like it can force a force weapon activation.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 09-25-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

hhhmmm, that is a definite head scratcher for sure. Thanks for adding the power description Hal. I'm going to take a look at the FAQ's because I remember seeing Hallucination mentioned in one or more of them. I'm not sure I agree with the Force weapon example, because it has to be activated by the Psyker. It's not an ability the weapon has without the psyker 'charging' it. It would also depend on if the GK used all hs Warp charges before your turn because aren't they 'renewed' at the start of the players turn? I don't have my rule book with me so I can't confirm that. If it's not already, it's something that deserves a FAQ entry IMO.

biffster666, don't take everything so personally. You were incorrect, so just take it and move on.
    Just because you say I took it personal...you know the rest, right? I made an error (a funny one IMO) and have no problem admitting that. The statement I made about Tynskel's and my posts up to that point was just that and 100% correct as well. 40kgamer understood that even if you didn't, so it's all good.

If I wanted to take a poke at Tynskel because I took his/her comment 'personal', I would have made some snarky comment about quoting a statement about himself/herself, or asked Tynskel how many 'I love me some me!' T-shirts he/she has. Just a suggestion, but you want to be careful about reading into things too much. Nice of you to respond to 40kgamers question as well though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast