BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scout

Default Crimson Fists hobby thread

Well, the possibility of winning some death guard has pushed me over the edge to share some pics of my progress . These are models for my crimson fists army, which i started early this spring. I hadn't played 40k for years, but decided to get back into it this spring. I have been having a lot of fun painting marines, though I have to admit it has been more of a challenge than I expected--lots of precise line highlighting on these guys!

Here is what is on my workbench right now:

Here is my recently completed landspeeder, just finished a pair of heavy flamers (one pictured) that still need to be varnished.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1588.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	5063

Here is a sternguard vet who also needs some varnish but is otherwise done:

Name:	IMG_1589.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	5064

Here is my drop pod which is extremely close to being done. I can't believe how long it has taken to paint it--doing the inside and out has something to do with that!

Name:	IMG_1585.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	5060

Name:	IMG_1586.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	5061

Name:	IMG_1587.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	5062

Fly Lord

I feel your pain - I finished my second droppod and said "good enough" My infantry can just request more "non-opening transports" in the future.

That said, your highlighting is SHARP! Some of the cleanest, crispest work I've seen in a while.

We need more pictures
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

I'm loving the look of these guys! Very clean work indeed!!! It'll be a striking army for sure, and I can't wait to see a full marine unit completed!!

Chapter-Master

Very very nice. I tried doing something similar on some and they ended up looking like they were from Tron...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

For me, the blues are a little over highlighted, but I think that is more personal taste.

Th execution is really good though. Clean and crisp
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Scout

Wow, thanks for the nice feedback! I will have to take some more pictures soon! This is just what is on my workbench, I do have several other units done

SotonShades--I know what you mean about them looking over highlighted. I decided to push the highlights really far in this army so they would pop out while playing (from farther away, in dimmer lighting, etc.). I have overall been happy with doing it this way, but sometimes I have the same reaction to how the look up close!

p.s. the drop pod just needs to be varnished and have its storm bolter painted! Finally!!

Brother-Sergeant

At tabletop view, the models will look brilliant. Digital Cameras are completely unforgiving. What's your recipe for the blue? I've been fighting off a Crimson Fists project for months now, but it's not going away unless I start building it. I've been looking for a decent formula that isn't as labor-intensive as some I've seen.

Scout

Hi Digitarii, sorry for the slow response. I do a basecoat of Necron Abyss, which is an old foundation color (I have like 5 pots hoarded for this army!!). Then I do a layer of P3 Cygnar Blue Highlight (sometimes I blend the two layers together with a 50/50 mix but sometimes it isn't necessary). Then do a 50/50 mix of that and Screaming Skull. Those are the basic mixes. Sometimes I will do other layers in between and a brighter final highlight on certain edges. Hope that helps.

I have finished the drop pod, but don't have pics at the moment. I have been meaning to try to take some higher quality pictures of the stuff I have done but it hasn't happened yet. Instead I have some more workbench pics. Vindicator and rhino/razorback! I am doing these up somewhat quickly because I want to do the forgeworld old-school rhino and the not yet released old school vindicator because I think they look way better.

Name:	IMG_1602.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	5287

magnetized the dozer blade and added some brass etch:

Name:	IMG_1610.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	5288

surprisingly cute looking!:

Name:	IMG_1613.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	5289

Here they are at the moment. Tape around the bottom is to prevent paint wearing off while I hold them--something I thought of while working on the drop pod.

Name:	IMG_1623.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	5290

Name:	IMG_1624.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	5291

Brother-Captain

Very nice Crimson Fists there, and I like the tape idea, might have to start doing that myself. I feel your pain with the Drop Pod, I've done one so far which ended up being painted in 10 parts before assembling it all and it took forever to do. Brilliant kit, but man did I want to punch whoever created it by the time I was done with it.

Nice Las/Plas Razorback. That's an idea I'm going to pinch as that's the only turret option I'm still lacking for my Razorbacks. Where do the parts for it come from?
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Fly Lord

Really nice work on the Plasma glows and the glass viewports!

I also appreciate how you are keeping the crimson areas minimal. Often times when a chapter has a trim color, painters will overdo it and you end up with that "football team" look. Sometimes less is more!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast