BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by jcflanker View Post
    Just a fun to know thing here: I was looking through the original Rouge Trader book this morning and in the credits the play testers are listed one of them is Peter Cantor (what’s Spanish for Peter people?).
    Pedro Kantor is named after Peter Cantor.

[url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pedro_Kantor#Side_notes[/url]
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by person person View Post
    Pedro Kantor is named after Peter Cantor.

[url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pedro_Kantor#Side_notes[/url]
    yeah thats waht i was getting at. I just stumbeled on the name on the credits page while looking at the RT book. I didn't know it was a known fact. I just thought it was a fun kinda "did you know" type of thing.

do you know if any other named characters are named after real people?

Librarian

Lion'el Jonson= Lionel Jonson

Found this too..

[url]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tycho[/url]

Tycho appeared in the first battle report for the second edition of Warhammer 40,000 in which the Blood Angels player named his general "Tycho". Tycho was armed with his now characteristic weapons of a Bolter-Meltagun and the digi-lasers in the gauntlet on his left hand. During the course of the battle Tycho succumbed to a psychic blast from an Ork Weirdboy, and in game terms "killed". This was later incorporated into the character's background, as him having survived the attack grievously wounded. Tycho's special rules concerning his hate for Orks make him a good HQ choice for Blood Angels players when fighting Orks.
    Last edited by person person; 09-05-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Battle-Brother

look what i found out

Konrad Curze, also known as Night Haunter Primarch of the Night Lords. The character's name is inspired by the novel 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad, where a former ivory trader in the Congo named Kurtz rules over the native population as a charismatic demigod. The book was later adapted into the film Apocalypse Now

Librarian

Similarly, Ghazkull was originally a warboss from Andy Chambers' army. I think he did something that generated random powers, and that's where the Adamantium Skull came from.

Brother-Sergeant

Default Spoiler alert

I don't know if I have a favorite secret but I know alot of them. (I have read almost every single Black Library Book, Codex and Rulebook GW has ever made. I also am close friends with a store manager and several employees of a GW store.) Some are more commonly know then others but all are considered "secrets"

SPOILER ALERT!

- The Deciever evolved the Tau (specfically the Etherals).

- The Void Dragon is trapped at the heart of Mars (which is a Blackstone Fortress) and is the Machine God.

- The Outsider is the Hive Mind (If I had a favorite this would be mine.)

- The Tyranids seen so far are nothing but a mere sliver of the total swarm that is slowly completely surronding the 40k galaxy and will consume it whole and move on to find new biomass until more life evolves in the 40k galaxy again. (thats right sorry Space Marines, Tyranids win in the end... well them and Necrons as they have no Biomass to eat.)

- The Eldar are not a dieing race, most of them are just hidding in the webway.

- The Dark Eldar do not worship chaos, they actually hate it more then regular Eldar. Thats why they kill and cause pain, its to saticfy Slannesh so she/he doesn't go after them.

- The Grey Knights were started by the Loyalsit surviours of the Traitor Leagues of the Istaan V massacre.

- Half of the Dark Angels fell to chaos during the Heresy. Those are the ones called the Fallen and are still hunted to this day by the Loyalist Dark Angels.

- The Old Ones created the Eldar, the Orks and several other races to fight the C'Tan. Then they created humans and with that humans emotions created the 3 orginal Chaos Gods (Khorne, Nurlge and Tzeentch) and they killed the Old Ones.

- Slaanesh will eventually over power all the other chaos gods (as she/he feeds on desire and they all desire things alot) and either subjigate them or kill them.

- The Emperor is stuck in his human form and once dead will be re-born as the Star Child in the Warp he will kill all the Chaos Gods and bring peace to the Warp.

- The Necrons will eventually activate all the Plyons across the galaxy and shut the warp off from the material world forever, instantly killing/damaging ever pysker in the universe.

There a few more I know I'm forgetting but no biggie, I'm sure these ones will have people thinking enough as it is.

Librarian

That blew my mind...

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

- The Tyranids seen so far are nothing but a mere sliver of the total swarm that is slowly completely surronding the 40k galaxy and will consume it whole and move on to find new biomass until more life evolves in the 40k galaxy again. (thats right sorry Space Marines, Tyranids win in the end... well them and Necrons as they have no Biomass to eat.)

- The Dark Eldar do not worship chaos, they actually hate it more then regular Eldar. Thats why they kill and cause pain, its to saticfy Slannesh so she/he doesn't go after them.

- The Necrons will eventually activate all the Plyons across the galaxy and shut the warp off from the material world forever, instantly killing/damaging ever pysker in the universe.

Where did you get these choice little bits of information?
    I would like to read the sources for these if you can remember them. I have encountered the Necrons while reading, but nothing that ever really explains them.
    And while I have suspected that piece about the nids, mostly, when I read about them, they were the barely understood enemy.
    The part about the Eldar makes sense, considering that Slannesh really wants all the Eldar souls. Close contact with Chaos would just serve him lunch reagrdless of any appeasement attempts, which is why I suppose they live in the Webway.
    When there is no peril in the fight there is no glory in the triumph. Pierre Corneille(M2)

Battle-Brother

Ok maybe i'm just being a little silly but I would like to think that the rest of the founding marines for the gray knights would be Gravel(i so butcher his first name) Loken, and Saul Travitz they were some of my favorite characters I was so angry at the end galaxy in flames

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    [FONT="Georgia"]- The Deciever evolved the Tau (specfically the Etherals).
    Except possibly it wasn't him, and was the Eldar. See Xenology. Of course, there is some sort of link between him and the Harlequins. And Xenology could well all be lies.

- The Void Dragon is trapped at the heart of Mars (which is a Blackstone Fortress) and is the Machine God.
    Whilst The Dragon is definitely at the heart of Mars and inspired the Machine God, I'm not convinced he's in a Blackstone Fortress. I thought the Blackstones were the Swords of Vaul, forged by the Old Ones to fight the C'tan?

- The Outsider is the Hive Mind (If I had a favorite this would be mine.)
    Except the Hive Mind is a psychic force (Synapse is a psychic power, for example) and the C'tan can't do psychic ****. Also, note how the nids steered well clear of the Outsider, presumably due to his psychic dampening interrupting the Hive Mind.

It's certainly possible.

- The Eldar are not a dieing race, most of them are just hidding in the webway.
    Except that a lot of them DID die. That's how Slaanesh was born, the souls of the Eldar merging (not all that different to the Emperor being the souls of the Shamans, when you think about it...) Of course, they may be regrowing their numbers.

Oh totally, they're called the Soul Thieves. Their aim is to gather souls to appease Slaanesh by letting Slaanesh eat the stolen souls rather than their own.

- The Grey Knights were started by the Loyalsit surviours of the Traitor Leagues of the Istaan V massacre.
    It's certainly possible.

- Half of the Dark Angels fell to chaos during the Heresy. Those are the ones called the Fallen and are still hunted to this day by the Loyalist Dark Angels.
    Unless you believe the contradictory accounts that the Fallen are the ones who DIDN'T turn to Chaos. Which is a much cooler story, IMHO. But hey.

- The Old Ones created the Eldar, the Orks and several other races to fight the C'Tan. Then they created humans and with that humans emotions created the 3 orginal Chaos Gods (Khorne, Nurlge and Tzeentch) and they killed the Old Ones.
    The Old Ones disappeared before humanity was created/evolved. The Old Ones were destroyed by Enslavers, which are a very different type of warp creature to the Chaos Gods. On the other hand, the Old One / C'tan war and the death of the Old Ones MAY have been responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs, so they may have pushed our world down the path that eventually led to the evolution of humans. But they didn't do it directly.

- Slaanesh will eventually over power all the other chaos gods (as she/he feeds on desire and they all desire things alot) and either subjigate them or kill them.
    It's possible. Mind you, it's possible any of the Chaos Gods might win...

- The Emperor is stuck in his human form and once dead will be re-born as the Star Child in the Warp he will kill all the Chaos Gods and bring peace to the Warp.
    Technically the Star Child already exists in the Warp. But yes, it's being shackled by the Golden Throne and would be more powerful and could be re-born if the Throne was destroyed.

That's their plan! Of course, it may not come to fruition. Fundamentally the conflict is Psykers vs Nulls, and there are a lot more Psykers than there are Nulls...

Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast