BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    If I recall correctly neither of them dies in Legion. Supposedly the Primarch of the Alpha legion has been killed in the later fluff, though this is from the Imperial POV and not knowing there are two of them. Also, given the way the Alpha legion works, I would be surprised if either of them was actually dead.
    So in this case the Imperial POV is not the Emperor POV? The Emperor created the Primarchs, why shouldn't anyone else in the inner circle of the Emperor know of Alpharius and Omegon? Ok, it's been quite a while since creation. But the Empire is quite good at archiving stuff...

If the Imperium knew everything the Emperor knew the Imperium would be a vastly different place.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by originoo View Post
    But the Empire is quite good at archiving stuff...
    I wonder if this is sarcasm or not. I mean, they are losing territory to the Tau.

Quote Originally Posted by originoo View Post
    So in this case the Imperial POV is not the Emperor POV?
    Definitely not. The Emperor did not keep anyone in his inner circle.

For a long while, there was an official behind the scenes story for the fluff: The Emperor is a Chaos God.

If you examine the fluff closely, you'll note that there have always been four gods of chaos. None of the fluff indicates that there were only three before the rise of Slaanesh. Also note that the fall of the Eldar and the rise of Slaanesh coincide directly with the first sightings of the Emperor on earth

The Emperor was able to take over earth because he was such a powerful being, and also a powerful psyker- the fall of the Eldar provided the stabilization of Warp Space such that other planets could be reached and brought into the Imperium.

- If the Emperor were simply a human who had been born with superior psychic abilities, then creating Primarchs from him would, at best, create powerful psykers. Instead, we got twenty primarchs who seemingly had little or no innate psychic power (Magnus the Red learned sorcery from books). But their strength and endurance were beyond superhuman. They were godlings.

- Also note that the Imperial Cult began to surface during the crusades- before the Emperor became comatose. The only instance of him discouraging this religious fervor in his name was when he told the Word Bearers that they were going a little too far.

- If all of this is true, then the Golden Throne itself is part of the designs of Tzeentch. If the Emperor were to truly die, then the power he would have from all of the devotion to his name would allow him to quickly overpower the other lords of chaos and rule them.

Now, I believe that this line of thinking has been abandoned by some of the later fluff writers, so there is probably something that contradicts it somewhere. But this is the older "behind the scenes" fluff.

www.GardenNinja.com

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    If the Imperium knew everything the Emperor knew the Imperium would be a vastly different place.
    Well, if The Imperium knew everything that the Emperor knew, the Emperor would have had to find another way to become a god, now wouldn't he? Whether he wanted it or not, eventually, the Emperor figured out that no matter how much you disbelieve it, chaos isn't going anywhere.

Being an athiest makes perfect sense. If there aren't actual gods who are out to eat your entire race.

Quote Originally Posted by odinsgrandson
    they are losing territory to the Tau.
    They lose much more territory to bookkeeping errors every century than they do to the Tau. The Tau are about as important as humanity was during their expansion period in the 22-29th century, which is barely anything on a galactic (Eldar Race) scale.

Quote Originally Posted by The Undying View Post
    It says on Lexicanum that Abaddon was guided to the resting place of his daemon sword by a Gold-Skinned Stranger now who do we know with gold skin cough* deceiver cough*, and what does this mean. Why do the C'tan want to help Chaos when they hate it as much (possibly more) as everyone else.
    I may be waaaaaaaaaaaay behind on this convo, but I wanted to chime in. I have not read this before, about Abaddon, but dont forget Lorgar was also gold-skinned, so was the Emperor is some tellings. not that that says much at all, I just wanted to point it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Forhekset View Post

I realise I'm coming into this thread late, forgive my last post.

What bugs me is that if the Emperor is so awesome and powerful and farseeing, couldn't he have predicted the end of Chaos by allowing Horus to win and blow itself out in a immaterial armageddon, as the Cabal forsaw? If he did infact see it the same way, why on earth would he have stopped Horus? Did he change his mind in the last second? Is he mad? What's the reasoning there?
    In an old trilogy by Abnett: Xenos/Malleus/Hereticus (the Inquisitor Eisenhorn series): (man, I hope I am quoting the right set of books here): apparently the Emperor has gone a bit mad, or schizophrenic, as the Inquisitor actually gets an audience with the Emperor on the Throne, and realizes he is speaking with multiple facets of the Emperor, NOT a single being.But,t his is also from the 2nd edition rules days, waaaay back. They also had something in that series where Space marines were actually mind wiped after any battles with Chaos, as the memories of the encounter would otherwise drive them mad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaximum View Post
    In an old trilogy by Abnett: Xenos/Malleus/Hereticus (the Inquisitor Eisenhorn series): (man, I hope I am quoting the right set of books here): apparently the Emperor has gone a bit mad, or schizophrenic, as the Inquisitor actually gets an audience with the Emperor on the Throne, and realizes he is speaking with multiple facets of the Emperor, NOT a single being.But,t his is also from the 2nd edition rules days, waaaay back. They also had something in that series where Space marines were actually mind wiped after any battles with Chaos, as the memories of the encounter would otherwise drive them mad.
    Not the Eisenhorn series, it's the Ian Watkinson "Inquisition War" I think. that you're thinking of.
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 09-29-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Appalling spelling.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Not the Eisenhorn series, it's the Ian Watkinson "Inquisition War" I think. that you're thinking of.
    Is one of the books 'Demon Child'? Maybe its that series instead. But at least you know what I meant
    Yeah it was a weird read, after reading much of the fluff based on the revamped universe and rules.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaximum View Post
    Is one of the books 'Demon Child'? Maybe its that series instead. But at least you know what I meant
    Yeah it was a weird read, after reading much of the fluff based on the revamped universe and rules.
    Not sure, only read it as a trilogy. But it was always weird....

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Not sure, only read it as a trilogy. But it was always weird....
    It was Draco, Harlequin, and Chaos Child by Ian Watson.

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast