BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Most likely, they determined it was a product that would produce diminishing returns over time. They could make a handy profit in the short run, but the molds aren't the only​ cost, and it wasn't profitable enough to continue production for whatever reason.
    Just seems highly contradictory given the projected high cost of tooling coupled with cheap designing and materials. Though I suppose the large amount of card components probably cost them a bomb.

Scarcity is an economy all of its own. If something is Limited Edition, you're going to sell out in a quick burst. Pays for itself all in one go, and then you don't have to worry about warehouse storage and so on. Dreadfleet didn't manage this, but that's because it wasn't as strong a property as Space Hulk (certainly was as strong a product).
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Captain

People also seem to be forgetting that AS A RULE (not always) the GW plastics are cheaper than their old metal equivalents when held up to the current GW pricing scheme.
    "Why is GW stuff so expensive?" is a different question, but generally speaking when a GW plastic comes out it does drop the price compared to the metal of finecast mini.
    Sternguard are a notable exception, and IMO about £5 too expensive, but they also got a buttload more stuff than the previous box so at least there's an argument for value increase.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

The Good Kaptain has the right of it.

Yes, plastic prices continue to rise. But overall, the price of an army hasn't gone up that much.

Let's look at Chaos Warriors for Fantasy shall we? Prior to 1997, and the first multipart kit of 12, they were in metal, and around £2.50 each. So, for 12 of them, that would be...£30. Fast forward 16 years...second incarnation of the multipart plastics, and they're £20.00...... Yes the multipart plastics have doubled in price in 16 years, but they remain cheaper than the metal ones they replaced.

Ogryn and Troll sized models. Were in the £15-18 each price bracket. Post plastics? £28.50ish for 3. Which is of course cheaper.

Steam Tank? I remember people freaking right out when that went to plastic. £50 for the metal one, £36 for the plastic one. Yep. Cheaper again.

And now to 40k....

Necrons. I'm familiar with Necrons. Warriors have had a price rise. BOO! EVIL GW! But...hold on....Wraiths....those were at least £12 a pop in metal, but now in plastic...£28.50. Well paint me green and call me Kenneth! That's a price drop on that unit! Ditto Immortals, Lychguard/Pariahs (same role in army, massive saving) And given Immorals are now a Troop choice, that's a significant saving when building up your army.

Yes, prices do go up overall. But far too few people take into account the drops that occur when a metal/finecast kit makes the jump to plastic. Indeed, all you get is whining that the price drop wasn't enough.

Someone on Dakka once compared me to a beaten wife, happily taking it from GW time and time again. Which is entirely inaccurate, as having a decent job, I'm not at all fussed about the price. I can either afford it, or I can't. But those who constantly go on about prices, and then make dodgy comments when a price goes down? Nothing is ever good enough for them, and they lash out. Like the abusive spouse GW were compared to....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Word MR M.
    The analogy that was used is not wholly incorrect, we justify because despite what we put up with from them we feel we're getting more good than bad.
    Much like the abused partner without the self esteem to escape.
    The difference of course being that we have dalliances with other miniature companies, and lo and behold they really don't ask for much less.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Another example...

2nd Ed....Assault Marines with Jump Packs. £25 for 5....now? £20.50.......

Average armies of course have enlarged, but there is precisely nothing preventing anyone playing smaller point games, so that argument has to be weighed accordingly.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Another example...

2nd Ed....Assault Marines with Jump Packs. £25 for 5....now? £20.50.......

Average armies of course have enlarged, but there is precisely nothing preventing anyone playing smaller point games, so that argument has to be weighed accordingly.
    I don't ever recall them being that expensive. I can recall 2 metal marines for £4. And GW can charge £30 for 5.

Anyway it seems that it's largely a matter of affordability and opinion. I guess the fun:£ ratio isn't good enough with GW for me to get any more stuff.

The other thing is that with plastic kits like Sternguard, the price isn't just based on the five figures, but on all of the pieces on those crammed sprues. You can think of it as £4-5 per figure and the rest is made up by shoulderpads, heads and guns you can seed throughout the rest of your army.

That is quite true. In the same vein as the death company box. It's really more of a 'blood angel upgrade' box.

I think it's a deliberate strategy with those boxes, yes. Like the Dark Angels Veterans, also, possibly Patient Zero of this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast