BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    8th may be a better edition, but Dwarves still suffer.
    I still see dwarfs relying on Artillery, you just can't do a Melee based Dwarf list and expect to win, they're the Tau of Fantasy.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. an army composed of big blocks of warriors, long beards, and iron breakers, 30 dwarfs per unit, is an absolute nightmare. they are a superb army at the moment, just ignore the 'internet wisdom' for dwarf lists because they are totally wrong.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

About the only thing I agree on is your #7, the army book balance thing (barring TK who I think got shafted all to hell for no apparent reason). I may not like some of them, but they are generally more balanced now .

Otherwise I will just bow out of this discussion so as to not detract from the positivity you are obviously trying to stir up.

Cheers, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Aegwymourn View Post
    With all that I'm reading in this thread I might have to revive one of my old armies. I quit playing shortly after Ravening Hordes was released. I hated how the magic system changed from the cards to "look I can do basic math to determine how many spells I want to cast each turn". I don't know how many times I played against a "dodge the comet of cassandora" army.
    Magic has certainly changed. I'd say it has the best bits from the previous systems.

Barring signature spells, you can only have one of any given spell, as ever, one rolled up per Wizard Level. Except Loremasters, who know all the spells of the specified lore, and don't ' lock out' those spells.

Wizard Level is added to casting and dispel rolls.

Must importantly, if you fail to meet the casting level, that Wizard can't cast again that turn, which helps prevent low dice spam.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I'm going to get into some GOD DAMN WAR HAMMER FANTASY BATTLES EIGHTH EDITION.

Who's with me? RAAAR!

We should have a thread. Make it an event. Post pictures. Swap war stories. Set challenges. Generate buzz.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Agreed on all points. I've been playing since 3rd edition and 8th has so far been my favorite. Is it perfect? Nope. But the flaws it has are small by comparison to earlier editions.

The biggest single change that I love is no more remove models from the front rank (thus reducing the number of attacks back). That made playing against elite armies rather dull as I was lucky if I rolled any dice in the close-combat phase due to that rule.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chronowraith View Post
    Agreed on all points. I've been playing since 3rd edition and 8th has so far been my favorite. Is it perfect? Nope. But the flaws it has are small by comparison to earlier editions.

The biggest single change that I love is no more remove models from the front rank (thus reducing the number of attacks back). That made playing against elite armies rather dull as I was lucky if I rolled any dice in the close-combat phase due to that rule.
    Or against cavalry... I hated 7e and the prevalence of MSU cav units...

Chaplain

I'm definitely more into fantasy than 40k at the moment. In fact I've probably only played a couple of games in 6th ed 40k whereas I've been trying to get a fantasy game in every other week with my Lizards

Alpha Legion Operative

Well, I very recently thought I'd get back into the gaming side of our fabulous hobby (rather than the collecting side, as I've done for many years) and started with some tomb kings.

If there's an appetite, I'd be happy to do/contribute to a thread covering the collecting, modelling and gaming sides as a player returning after not playing since the 90s. What do people think, could we so this collectively to keep each other on track?

Briefly, I've decided to build a Rasettra themed army, as I'm also concurrently building a Lizardmen force, and have built my core units, constructs and some cold one chariot conversions. I've played a couple of intro games at my local GW, and am feeling my way slowly into this edotion.

Next up I'm doing terradons/carrion, and snakes based on necro knights

Chaplain

Yeah definitely up for more fantasy content. I'm trying to get my Lizards painted for a tournament at the beginning of November but have got into a bit of a painting lull recently. Once back on track I've got to start up a painting thread

It's up to us, we are the community after all!

I'm half way tempted to do 'beginners guides' to the Army Books, based on a fixed template of common Fantasy Strategies. Won't be intended to be a comprehensive guide on how to win, but to give a broad idea as to what you can and can't do with each army.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast