BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

By the way, what are the thoughts here on the dread fleet commander? There is something really off about his entry. He is worse than a dread lord and has -1 a,i,ws and bs. Oke this can be justified by the extra rule (unbreakable if he kills a character in a challenge). But why has a weak lord to begin with only 50 points of magic items..makes no sense. And the greatest corsair leader (lokhir) is just a hero but with same abilities as a fleet commander. Hope he gets a faq.

I was sick yesterday and couldn't collect my order and I forgot to send my brothers down to get it for me so I don't have my book yet.

Do people think all Witch Elf core is a viable build at low points cost games, around 1000? The sack of save will hurt them but they will kill most things they meet at that level based on what I've seen. I don't think it is possible to fit in a Cauldron at 1k, it's over the 250pts threshold even with a plain Hag.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I was sick yesterday and couldn't collect my order and I forgot to send my brothers down to get it for me so I don't have my book yet.

Do people think all Witch Elf core is a viable build at low points cost games, around 1000? The sack of save will hurt them but they will kill most things they meet at that level based on what I've seen. I don't think it is possible to fit in a Cauldron at 1k, it's over the 250pts threshold even with a plain Hag.
    Sure they may not be as optimal as corsairs but they are pretty good for their points. Most armies don't use much range anyway.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post

Depends entirely on who you are facing. Anything that can put out templates on them will destroy them long before they get into combat. Personally, if you are going to take witch elves in any number, they need a cauldron with them. All witch elves at that level is viable, but it's a big gamble. You going to win big or lose big every time you play with that list.

To pick up on surfs earlier point, there is picture of the witch king model. Check out page 70.
    Last edited by Wildeybeast; 10-06-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I have the ipad version so the pages don't match up, but I'll take your word for it. Thanks!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

Ah. He's in the background of a picture with two units of Blackguard. Though that is his only appearance. I would guess that they don't want to show off a crappy old model, especially when they have lovely new plastic dragons. They missed a trick with not including a plastic model of him in that set. Sadly I doubt there are new sculpts for either him or Morathi on the way. I noticed as well that the godawful harpies don't seem to have a picture in the book, but I'm not taking that as indicator of new models. Given they got a 4 point increase and moved to special, Ward seems to be doing his best to make sure no one uses them ever again.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Harpies are still useful to me. They're a cheap and cheerful artillery hunting unit, and be pressed into service as march blockers.

Yeah the points increase isn't great, but with the increased availability of Monsters, they're still advisable for the above reason.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I agree with their uses. At 11 points they were effectively eagles. But a points increase for no benefit makes them less viable and moving them to special means they have to compete with other, better stuff, especially at low points costs. To give you an example, at 1000 points in the old book, two units of harpies were an auto include in my army. Now, they have to fight with either cold one knights or a hydra for my special points at that level. That is a fight they are not going to win. Sure, at higher points level games they are more viable, but if I have to consider whether a distraction unit is worth it for their points cost then they have automatically failed to fulfil their purpose. All that combined with the fact you either have to convert your own models or buy from another company means that very few people will be using them.

Chapter-Master

depends who you are playing really. one of my main opponents is a dwarf player so you can guarantee lots of warmachines that need destroying/tying up, I could use some harpies.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

And now time for a rundown of the new toys we get to play with!

Starting with the High Beastmaster! Yes. I like this guy! I've always taken a Beastmaster on Manticore as I have a thing for big monsters. Previously a fairly weak Hero choice, he's now a Lord, and a good bit hittier. Also comes on either a Manticore, or a Scourgerunner Chariot. Pretty dashed useful overall, and if you take him on a Manticore, and give that Blind Rage, it's a horrendous killing machine, with up to 11 attacks from the beasty before Thunderstomp!

Next up....Black Ark Fleetmaster. Yeah. OK. I got nothing. Whilst his Show No Weakness thing is kind of cool, I just don't get this character. More expensive than a Dreadlord, with lesser stats, and reduced Magic Item allowance.... Quite baffled on this chap!

Nothing new in Heroes section.

Core now!

Warriors and Crossbows have been mixed up a bit. New unit are the Bleakswords. Same points cost as the Dreadspears. Personally, I'll take the extra rank fighting over the Parry Save any day. Darkshards still have access to shields too. Yes it makes them fairly pricey (13 points), but it removes the need for Bleakswords in my mind entirely. Other of course may disagree. But yeah. Bleakswords....not for me I'm afraid.

Witch Elves. Now of course not a new unit, but new to the Core section, and a welcome addition they are too! Still do what Witch Elves do, namely make with the frenzied, poisoned stabby. Though the Hag no longer has access to poisons and that.

Corsairs are worth a mention, due to the change of the Sea Dragon Cloak to a standing 5+ Scaly Skin. Same cost as a Witch Elf, which feels about right. Whereas Witch Elves are an entirely aggressive unit, the Corsairs offer one less attack each, but do come with that all important 4+ total save...

Special. New entries here are the Scourgerunner Chariot, and the War Hydra moving slots.

Scourgerunner. Well, it's a chariot. A chariot with a freaking move and fire Bolt Thrower on it. Suffice to say I love this unit. It's not especially tough, but it is tasty, and quite fast with M9! Oh, and the Ravager Harpoon is not only a Bolt Thrower, but can drag Monsters toward the unit, potentially doing another wound on top of it's standard D3. Very cool in my book!

War Hydra.... Now a wee bit cheaper, but has to upgrade to a ranged attack. It's also changed quite a bit. Souped up Regen which you keep rolling for. As long as it's below it's starting wounds, every turn you roll to get them back.... This is horrible! Get munched up early on? Retire from the front line for a couple of turns and let it heal, then throw it back in toward the end game. Lovely!

Oh, and Reaper Bolt Throwers got a 30% points drop......but only have two wounds now....

Rare time! And this is where the most new toys have been added.....

Doomfire Warlocks. Low save, T3 Fast Cavalry...which can chuck out Magic Missiles! One of which is Doombolt..... The other Soulblight. Minimum unit is 125 points, which isn't too bad. Not sure I'd want a much bigger unit of them though, as the increased cost only brings +1 to cast. They're also not too shabby in a fight, as two attacks each, which are poisoned. Oh and they're S4. Pretty fragile though, so naturally you'd want to be careful when choosing whether or not to engage with them.

Bloodwrack Medusa. Lovely. Genuinely lovely! Cheap, and quite potent. Excellent support unit! Decent ranged attack thanks to the Killing Blow, and a nice 'base contact' attack.

Kharibdyss.... Good points cost, and a melee monster with a significant bonus against sole models. Abyssal Howl is absolutely golden, as it forces re-rolls on all Leadership Tests.... All of them!

Bloodwrack Shrine. The Medusa is back, and this time, she's brought her Car! It's a Chariot, and a very, very nice one at that. Aura of Agony boosts friendly Ld, and reduces enemy Ld. An absolutely brilliant supporting unit! Oh, and due to 'Will of the Gods', it can make march moves.... I cannot say how awesome that is!

Sisters of Slaughter. As per my earlier post, I love these. A nigh 'must have', as they strip off enemy ranks, and have enough attacks to mess up enemy units. And as with all the other Rare choices (all of which are new additions....not one existent unit in Rare!) definitely best off being used in conjunction with another unit. I think I'll stick them in with Chariots to really give my opponents Infantry a bad day!

And that's my thoughts on our new toys. I'm a little bit hungover from last night, so it's not been too in depth. Now over to everyone else.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast