BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default eldar v space marines, dark angels and space wolves?

as the title shows, I am having quite a rough time dealing with drop pod rune priests, large mobs of invul save packing bikers, and getting my eldar to work for me versus astartes. I have nearly all eldar models,so alladvice is welcome,especially Re dealing with the runepriests. Thanks.

I face mainly BA or GK, but the Space Puppies need spanking sometimes too . Mobility is the first element i use, and Wave Serpents to be exact. Dire Avengers (Exarch with PW+SS for that 5+ invl. save) inside the WS. The drop pod assault is hard and annoying, but secure the rear of the rides if you are going second. Then comes the War Walkers. I outflank almost every time (and i have at least 2 x 3 War Walkers) and cause havoc in the rear. Warp Spiders dropping in are great too. If the opponent doesn´t use Aegis a lot, then Crimson Hunter. Just an Exarch upgrade and you have at least 4 shots of S8 AP2 doom! This is how i eliminate Terminators usually. Bikers are tough cos they are...tough! I tried the Wraithguard with the D-Scythes, but the 5´s you need to wound, were bit too much and they got ran over. BUT...when they get their hands on some power armor dudes, oh, yeah! Fire Prisms are good too (can you see, i prefer heavies? ), they can deal with any armor or vehicle, but when pods are bound, i would bring them from reserves. Wraithknight is an expensive way to gather some fire from your lesser units, but if still alive after first turn (watch out for Force Weapons!), can do some REAL damage...sorry about the randomness of this answer, but writing while at work so the ideas are all over the place .

To summit up, a) DA´s + WS´s b) War Walkers c) Warp Spiders d) Dammit, you need bikes! I forgot! 2 x 3 Bikes at least e) The Heavy FOC-slot is your friend...and a Crimson Hunter...occasionally...

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

thanks dude, anyone else want to chime in? Id really appreciate it]

Veteran-Sergeant

I play marines and usualy play vs eldar and the eldar always gives me a tough fight. The eldar fields reapers in combo with a farseer (reroll shooting and ignor cover is a b**ch!). warwalkers work pretty well, they can be very shooty or anti tank. Wraithlord is pretty scary he can challange so characters with power fist are no problem. Wraightknight is pretty scary, aspecially with suncannon 3 ap2 blasts murders marines. Your best weapon is waveserpents, twin-linked scatter laser (for rerolls), shuriken cannon and the serpent shield makes a scary gun platform, i lost many tanks due reroll d6 ignore cover shooting! Jetbikes are your win units, they can score a last minute vp or grab ovjectives.

Brother-Captain

Generic Marine killing advice.
    Focus and discipline. Recognise the biggest immediate threat and hammer it until it's all gone.
    The temptation with Eldar is to use them like marines, but they're not that forgiving. So make sure your units work in teams to get good clean kills, and use your mobility to pull slower units away.
    You're not going to win a protracted, or even brief, firefight with marines. So make sure they get to shoot back as little as possible.
    Hold your assault units back, and use them to counter-attack.
    When you do dedicate yourself to an assault do so either through one of your own unengaged units (if you're worried about having to take cover saves) or after a chaff unit to soak up the overwatch. Remember that even banshees, your MEQ killers, likely can't down a tactical squad in a single round of combat on their own so use overwhelming force where required and avoidance everywhere else.

Ravenwing / Drop-wolves;
    Arg, bloody ravenwing.
    Against the assaults on turn 2 ravenwing army biker-spam ANYONE has a hard time.
    Use buildings and ruins to get your most dangerous shooting units off the ground floor and safe from assault at least.
    Engage their units in melee to rob them of extra attacks (since you can shoot and assault it's a double win), and again try to target the big threats and eliminate them first.
    And remember that in a game where cover is everywhere high AP was never that big a deal against infantry anyway, it's all about forcing them to take buckets of saves.

That said I'm a predominantly DE player when it comes to pointy-ears, and an Ork player by choice, so I'm not the best source of sage advice.
    Much the same applies to drop-wolves TBH, except hiding upstairs won't help so much.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chaplain

I rather think the advice has the right of it. Use unit combinations, I ran storm guardians the autarch and a wraithlord against GK while sitting back and sniping with a guardian unit with star cannon and rangers. Though with the rangers these days are off my list given they lost the pathfinders rule. I have also used Scorpions and Storm Guardians as a combo. Now with the blade storm on shuriken weapons, there is a bigger chance of causing that critical wound when shooting before assault.

Up until recently I tended to load my troops in wave serpents and blast across the terrain, but given the issues with assaulting I'm switching to Falcons. Set them with a scatter laser for laser lock and then blast away with the pulse laser and shuriken cannon and re-roll those misses. See if you can punch holes in the SM line to isolate his units from range with the Falcons and then work your way up with the assault troops.

Of course, the issue is points dependent but a unit of Wraithblades and or Dark Reapers are a big threat to SM. Especially now Reapers can move and shoot.

Basically give the other guy multiple threats so that he can't neutralise you in one shooting turn.

The question I have is with Drop Pods, when they land the troops disembark and shoot but can they assault?