BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran-Sergeant

The update!

Let's finish off one unit round up before starting another!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	5483
    Here's the finished unit, eyes attempted and all! As always, comments, critiques and ideas for areas of improvement always welcomed!

I've gone on about one unit for far to long, so here we got with the dreaded..HYDRA! Originally I was going to build a Kharibdyss, however the temptation to build a hydra took over me, as well as some persuading from the wifelette!
    Let's start off with the sprue!

Name:	2013-10-23 17.46.23.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	5484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-23 17.46.33.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	5485
    Hopefully you can see all the pieces well enough to get a good idea of "what's in the box!" What I really liked what the fact that their are seperate parts for a lot of the kit for each monster. The only thing that really stays the same is the body.

I kicked off with the handlers, and they went together really easy. Like the Crossbowmen, the kit was restirctive in positioning, only offering one way for them to go together

Name:	2013-10-23 17.51.44.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	5486
    However, it's almost a godsend with the size of the beastie and the footprint of the big guy.

The Hydra as a whole was another very eay kit to build. In typical Hydra style, it still needed some minor gap filling, mostly down to my poor building skills. Theres a couple areas in between necks the required the filling. A quick attack of LGS sorted this out in no time though.

What I did find interesting was that the front claw, something which quite a few people dislike, is only molunted to a tiny hole with body detail scuplted all around. It wouldn't be too hard to fill in and sculpt the skin lines into if you didn't want to have this part on the model.

I've reached the image limit on this one folks, so continue reading to know more!

Name:	2013-10-25 20.41.03.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	5487

-KaiZie

Veteran-Sergeant

I took a few pictures of the built Hydra to give an idea of the size and shape of the heads. I know a few guys that have said the heads look odd and I figured it was down to bad photography in White Dwarf. So here's a few for you guys to make your own decision.

Name:	2013-10-25 20.41.03.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	5488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-25 20.41.25.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	5489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-25 20.41.40.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	5490

SO that's the Hydra build and ready to go. When the weekend rolls around I can get him sprayed and get painting, however when I finishw ork it's very dark and I don't like spraying in the dark and cold.

I also picked up this little beauty to use as a Supreme Sorceress!

Name:	2013-10-23 17.45.19.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	5491
    Raging heroes do some grand looking Dark Elf models. This one in particular comes with 3 heads (Vamps, Dark Elves and Chaos) 4 arms (Sword, shield, staff, spell book) and looks absolutely stunning. I don't know when she'll grace my painting table, but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into painting it.

Finally, the girlfriend, after hijacking my desk for the weekend has completed her second ever model. She's keen to get feedback so please, fire away! This is all her own work using White Dwarf guides I suggested and following a few step by steps I'd writen down for my own reference. What do you guys think!? She even mixed in some glitter into the snow to make it sparkle, though the photo doesn't show it all that well.

Name:	2013-10-30 19.09.34.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	5492

As always guys, thoughts, ideas, comments, critiques, all are welcome! I'll answer any questions you have as well!

Until next time!

- KaiZie

Veteran-Sergeant

I really like your girlfriend elf. Some good looking colours. Maybe some more painting in the face? The hydra looks awesome, how do you find the claw coming out of its gut? Its the only thing I dislike about the model. The crossbowmen turned out well.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    how do you find the claw coming out of its gut? Its the only thing I dislike about the model.
    I don't like the claw either, and whilst the claw itself is pretty large, the actual connection point is very small, I left it off my hydra and there was only a very small square hole to fill with greenstuff, and a tiny but of rough texture to put into it with a sculpting tool, very easy.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I don't like the claw either, and whilst the claw itself is pretty large, the actual connection point is very small, I left it off my hydra and there was only a very small square hole to fill with greenstuff, and a tiny but of rough texture to put into it with a sculpting tool, very easy.
    Yeah that pretty much sums it up. It does look as thougj it was designed to cover over easy if you didn't want chest spikes and mouths all over the gribbly thing. It does suggest somewhat gw had no faith in the sculptor and nade it so it was easily removable

Veteran-Sergeant

Managed to finish the hydra?

Veteran-Sergeant

He's coming along ok thus far. I haven't had much time to crack on with him of late sadly, but my Naggaroth Warhost arrived the other day so there is sooooo much for me to be getting on with once Mr Stompy is finished. Here's a quick WIP for ya

Name:	36.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	5709

Most of the skin is done. It does need a fair amount of cleaning up though and I want to add some darker scales to his back. What do you think so far? What would you do next?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by KaiZie View Post
    He's coming along ok thus far. I haven't had much time to crack on with him of late sadly, but my Naggaroth Warhost arrived the other day so there is sooooo much for me to be getting on with once Mr Stompy is finished. Here's a quick WIP for ya

Name:	36.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	5709

Most of the skin is done. It does need a fair amount of cleaning up though and I want to add some darker scales to his back. What do you think so far? What would you do next?
    I love the hydra colours. The green look amazing. The red is a nice contrast to the green. I feel the tail red can use a wash. I like the balance of colours. Looking forward to more.

Veteran-Sergeant

I aimed for the "Classic" dragon type creature look. Since I've got a Har Ganeth theme, I thought the red would tie into the armour of the army, while the green would contrast to that. I've attempted to give him a nice pale underbelly as well. I've got a few free days coming up where I'll really crack on! I can't wait to get this guy finished!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123