BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: =I= themed IG?

Brother-Sergeant

Default =I= themed IG?

So I'm working on getting the models for my IG army together, but I'm not really sure how I should paint them up. After harkening back to when I wanted to start a SoB army, I thought, "Could I paint an Inquisitorial Guard army?" I'm aware that there are =I= Stormtroopers, but with the new IG codex, they aren't very competitive choices. So could Inquisitorial Vets work out?

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocrap View Post
    but with the new IG codex, they aren't very competitive choices.?
    You act as if they ever were... Inquisitorial stormtroopers have always been crapfests.

I sincerely doubt anyone is gonna object to it. Call your CCS officer an inquisitor, and his CCS is his main retinue, and voila.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    You act as if they ever were... Inquisitorial stormtroopers have always been crapfests.
    Yeah, that's true. Probably should have phrased it differently.
    The only thing I'm iffy about is if people give me weird looks when they see =I= painted on my Griffons and Demolishers. Would the Inquisition have personal IG vehicle variants?

Abbess Sanctorum

It's very possible. If all else fails, you could say that they're remnants of a PDF force that was inducted into Inquisitorial service.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Brother-Sergeant

Now that's a nifty idea. Would the vehicles and guardsmen be painted black and dark red, like the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers in the SoB Codex? Though if they were once PDF, I'd see them in more of a navy color or maybe grey.

Abbess Sanctorum

I don't see why not. Inquisitors can make them paint it whatever color they want.

Librarian

The fact is there is no reason not to do this. When the Inquisition needs soldiers they routinely induct Guard and PDF forces, look at Hector Rex and the siege of Vraks, he inducted the entire 88th siege army, hundreds of thousands of men and vehicles (more like a few million actually…). After they are done with whatever military action they were conducting, they might well decide to keep some or all of their inducted Guard allies and permanently second them to Inquisition service, or even roll them into their own household troops. As a case in point the 99th Elysian, they were originally a unit with experience in fighting aliens, were subjected to some experimental surgical enhancements by the Ordos Xenos, then the remaining veterans were made permanent Inquisitorial forces complete with new regimental insignia bearing the “=I=”.

Given the rather high attrition rate of Inquisition operations, it would make lots of sense for your guard regiment to be whittled down to nothing but the very best die-hard troopers (i.e. Hardened Veterans). The army design you are proposing would be very characterful and cool. If you really want to do it right you can include an Inquisitor Lord alongside your Command Squad as an HQ awith the “allies” rules, that would also give some options like Officio Assassinorum Operatives.

And if anyone gives you a hard time (unlikely) cite the abundant fluff precedent and find someone who’s less of a jerk to play against .
    Last edited by Just_Me; 11-23-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Brother-Sergeant

That would most definitley work! My IG army is comprised of vets and I could see the Inquisition utilizing them as their personal troops on a particular planet or sector. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Librarian

It was my pleasure to help, I love the lore surrounding the Inquisition and am more than happy to help others get into it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Veteran-Sergeant

Do it! I got a guard army which is infact my inquisitors private army (and a big one it is to!). I'll post some pics if you want.
    Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.