BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default fortification for Dark Eldars

Imperial fortifications are for well... Imperials. They do not fit to Dark Eldar aesthetics (and other 40k races).
    Idea was born, studies have been made and I've started with :

series of sketches (last one) :

3D model and composition of repetition modules

3D print and resin casting were done by [url]www.terrains4games.com[/url] (they will also sell those modules)

and last thing for me to do was to paint a real model !
    [url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/546338-Aegis%20Defense%20Line%2C%20Dark%20Eldars%2C%20For tification%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000%2C%20Warhamme r%20Fantasy.html][/url]

[url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/546339-Aegis%20Defense%20Line%2C%20Dark%20Eldars%2C%20For tification%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000%2C%20Warhamme r%20Fantasy.html][/url]

What is Your opinion? Let me know, especially if You play Dark Eldars.

It's a bit chunky...

I do like the concept though.

First-Captain

the design itself is nice enough... but I can't help but wonder why Dark Eldar would ever build their own fortifications. doesn't really fit their style at all. if anything, they would make use of what they find on the planet they're raiding - which, let's face it, as a good chance of being Imperial, so the Aegis is just fine imo
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Perhaps use an Aegis line facing backwards, so it looks as if they're making use of it as they attack the Imperial defences? CN

@Houghten. Yes I agree it looks a bit chunky but You need to takie into account affordable 3d print quality, resin fragility and casting issues. This was a home made project. I'm not GW : )
    @Tyrendian. I had the same issue. Naturally Dark Eldars are the one who attack others not the ones who defend. This model is rather for people who wanted to use defence line fortification in 40k games with their DE army. In the end I suppose even Dark Eldars need (from time to time) to put something between them and waves of tyranid bugs or rebeling slaves or some horrors from depths of Commorragh. I guess it can be also used as roof embattlement on some buildings.
    Last edited by Xyxel; 10-12-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Battle-Brother

I understand about the chunky look, and don't think it detracts much from the concept. From that angle, nice job! But, I'm unlikely to buy some.

On the general idea of DE fortifications, I share the whole, 'we attack, not defend' viewpoint. From my POV, the webway portal is the exemplar of a DE fortification. If we were to use area fortifications though, I'd think forcefields marked by spiky mesh razorwire would be my mental image.

I have to repeat myself, though: Nice Job! I think we need more modelers like you.

Brother-Sergeant

Default Good concept and execution

You've got cool concept and execution. The other posters seem bothered by the thickness of the pieces but you have to sacrifice sometimes for durability. My only gripe would be with the regularity of the pieces. There is a lot of asymmetry in Dark Eldar construction... or at least a more individual execution of standard design. You might try having one or two more pieces printed up with the spike heights less regular or some variation of the face design. Keep them the overall same shape so that you can still make a continuous wall though.
    I went a very different route with mine, probably because they were each built separately. I wanted something that could be an obstacle for infantry or vehicles while providing cover form fire. I also wanted it to look dangerous to live around. The DE artwork from GW's books gives me that kind of impression. You can see some of my stuff on my [URL="http://wildboarblog.wordpress.com/terrain/dark-eldar-terrain/"]Wild Boar Blog[/URL].
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark Eldar Terrain with buildings landing pads walls and towers.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	5281
    Sinsinatus
    "Go ahead. Roll the dice and see if I get to eat your spleen."