BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Iron Father

Default Iyanden Wraith Themed List

Hello guys, right then I'm so close to having my 1st eldar army complete. As it stands I am looking at my 1st 2000 pts and boy am I excited. I'm sure my list isn't über competitive but I don't want to be steamrolled every game either. I'm using the Iyanden supplement too.

Here's where I am at (or will be by the weekend)

HQ
    Spiritseer with Wraith forged Stone

Troops 1, 2 and 3
    5 Wraith guard with Cannons

Troops 4
    5 Wraith guard with Scythes

X 3 Dedicated Troop Transports
    Waveserpents with Scatter lasers and Shuriken Cannon

Fast Attack 1
    Crimson Hunter with Exarch

Heavy Support 1 and 2
    Wraith lords with x 2 Bright lance, Flamers and Sword.

Heavy Support 3 (Warlord)
    Wraith Knight, Sun cannon, Shield and Scatter laser

Clocks in at 1980pts I believe. I'm a complete novice as far as Eldar are concerned and my list is a mix of what I have read is good and what I liked to look of. I'm happy to buy more stuff etc and my meta is mostly marines, chaos marines and grey knights. Partly why I decided to take a break from marines in the 1st place. So any tricks you can offer me I'm all ears and will very much appreciate what you have to say. I think models I'm likely to face that worry me are Heldrakes and Dread knights.
    Cheers
    Deadlift.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

I'm pretty new to Eldar, myself, but I do have a general note: you have very few boots on the table. Twenty scoring dudes at 2000 points? I know wraithguard are hard, but man, that's not a lot of bodies for 2000 points. What if someone does something smarmy, like bog you down with a horde of cheap bodies (or even a large unit of durable bodies, like Blood Angels 3+ save/5+ FNP?).

I'd recommend - to the extent that the Iyanden book allows this, I'm not sure - breaking theme a little for at least one bigger squad of guardians or dire avengers or something. Something with a lot of bodies.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Iron Father

Thanks EP

Yes I was concerned about my lack of boots on the table. I was considering dropping a Wraithguard unit or 2 and replacing it with 20 Guardians including x 2 Weapons platforms. Could be used as one big troop choice or split into 2 to hold home objectives. Should be around 220 pts and that would give me another 100 pts to play around with. I really do plan on making this my main army to collect and really any things open. But not finecast. I hate painting finecast unless it's a single model then I can struggle though with it.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

I wouldn't be overtly worried about the scoring issues. With 3 wave serpents you can demolish most hordes out there. The combination of lots of shots + twin-linking + the serpent shield will just chew through hordes. All the while providing the dudes inside with one of the toughest transports out there. The biggest thing I would change up is to make sure they have the +1 cover save wargear. Going from a 5+ cover save for moving to a 4+ is awesome. Even better if you can hide behind some ruins for a 3+.

Hellturkies are a pain for everyone unfortunately. However if you can stay inside your rides until after they come on the board you should be able to use your superior speed to stay away from them. Also IIRC the math would suggest if you can get rear arc with a wave serpent on one you get 1-2 glances. I think the biggest thing here will be field experience of the generals.

With you list I wouldn't be overly worried of dreadknights. If you can get one volley of fire from a squad of wraithguard off you should either maul it badly enough to finish off from other units or get a lucky distort wound and remove him all together. They only have a 5+ invulnerable save.

Although you might consider getting some more psychic power going. I know that a lot of people are not huge on the eldar powers, but situationally they are very good. The problem is that you need quite a few for them to have any sort of reliability.

You have four survivable scoring units that can hang out in Wave Serpents. Scoring won't often be an issue. I would personally drop the Wraithforged Stone and/or generally try to make some of those units of Cannon boys 6-man. Then again I run two 10-man blocks of Wraithguard and love them to death.

If it were my list, I would drop a Wraithlord to round out my Guard squads and then add a fifth troops choice - I would recommend the cheap but ever-effective Bikes.
    Last edited by Garradh; 10-14-2013 at 11:16 AM.