46. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

41 89.13%
  • no

5 10.87%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default I had a good time in a GW store

I'm sure many of us have horror stories and many a complaint when it comes to GW and the way they conduct their business, no doubt their models are over priced and the'yre gaming system is extremely unbalanced. Yet today as new person to the hobby of 40k i spent what must have been a good 3 hours in aGW store in the Uk the Cardiiff branch to be exact and I can honestly say I enjoyed myself, the gaming tables and models I used were beautiful and the staff when not trying to sell me something had some generally interesting and useful advice when it came to painting and the rules.

I just thought that maybe we could get some GW lovin'? What other company offers a narrative lore as vast as 40k or Fantasy and a ream of products both digital and physical, the production values on some of there stuff is simply incredible!

Now I can only say this from the perspective of my local gaming community and stores but I can honestly say my local GW will be my regular haunt!

Does anyone else have a good word for GW?

Yep! I like my local store, helpful staff, good atmosphere.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Initiate

When we go to the Bunker we have a good time. The local GW store just closed - which was smaller than the previous, closer, GW local store. The previous GW store we went to was a great store, but it closed when the landlord raised the rent. The next closest GW store - the one that just closed - was way too small and hard to park near. So it's the Bunker. Good store.

First-Captain

yup my local GW store is quite a nice place as well (except for the usual one or two annoying dudes, but hey that's part of the atmosphere^^) - the staff can't do much about their management after all...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

My nearest GW store is about an hour away. It's tiny, with only a couple of terrain tables. If they have events, they don't advertise them. The one time I went there, the staff was polite and engaging and did a good job of intuiting how much interaction I was interested in. If they offered discounts or had some kind of awesome event, I'd be all over it, but since they don't, I prefer...

My FLGS has a half a dozen terrain tables in a half-loft upstairs, overlooking the main store. They have an enormous stock of all sorts of games, and are just as polite and welcoming. Also, they constantly run events, from competitive tournaments to narrative campaigns.

I don't have a problem with my local GW store. I'm just not impressed by it.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Can't stand the hard sales approach; I absolutely despise the way they come over and talk to me. Actively keeps me out of their shops.

I had a mate who worked for GW and explained the whole policy isn't the staff's fault, and that's fine. I just hate it.

Hate it, hate it, hate it.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Can't stand the hard sales approach; I absolutely despise the way they come over and talk to me. Actively keeps me out of their shops.
    Damn them for making you be social. How dare they try and communicate!

And the cheek of a person who works in a shop trying to do some their job and sell you something!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post

I had a mate who worked for GW and explained the whole policy isn't the staff's fault, and that's fine. I just hate it.

Hate it, hate it, hate it.
    I know right, nothing worse than going into a shop and having people try to sell you stuff.

In seriousness though, the hard sell can be slightly annoying. I make a point of getting to know the local staff by talking to them whenever I go in, and as they get to know me and how much interaction I need. I'd be foolish to expect to take part in a social hobby and expect to do it without interacting with people, so I just make do with avoiding the sales thing by befriending people.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Iron Father

Used to love my local GW store. I got on so well with the Manager I offered him a job when he left and he took it. Then I poached the temporary lad that worked there too. The current manager whilst he seems a nice guy he did try and sell my mrs some Beastmen minotaurs when she asked for some terminators I had sent her in for. Not too impressed by that I will be honest. As for GWs mail order service, that's second to none here in the UK. Order on Monday, here by Wednesday. Which is why despite the offer of discounts I don't order my plastic crack from anybody else.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Damn them for making you be social. How dare they try and communicate!
    Quite right. I got enough friends.

Joking aside, I have no interest in being social with them, or any shopkeep. I find the whole thing excruciatingly awkward.

And the cheek of a person who works in a shop trying to do some their job and sell you something!
    I hold salespeople in the same regard as I hold visiting Jehovah's Witness', or a spider crawling across my face. If I could, I would punch them in their faces to get them to leave me alone. They might be trying to sell me something I genuinely want at a knock down price, it doesn't matter. I have a really irrational hatred of salespeople. Like, I can actually feel myself getting angry at just the thought of them. I am fully aware other people don't react or feel like this, that it is a weird reaction, but seriously, mention to me that I might like to buy something (even if you have my best interests at heart) and it just makes me want to hurt you. In spectacularly and definite ways.

I only get this reaction with sales people. I have no idea why.

I'd be foolish to expect to take part in a social hobby and expect to do it without interacting with people, so I just make do with avoiding the sales thing by befriending people.
    Salespeople aren't people. They're these weird creatures that inhabit shops in the same way trolls inhabit bridges. I don't like 'em, and I don't trust 'em.

There's a reason I shop online...
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast