46. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

41 89.13%
  • no

5 10.87%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Another weigh-in from an Ex-Staffer.

Here's what it comes down to in my opinion.

Anyone who walks into a GW will recieve the same treatment in that;
    A) Everyone is acknowledged and approched
    B)Questions will be asked about your hobby - This is the bit where a lot of Staffers push to get answers from you.

The difference is, some staffers can see from taking to someone in the first minute if that person is even remotely interested in talking about their hobby or they want to be left alone. At this point I just went "Cool, well, if you need anything or have any questions just igmme a shout" instead of pushing the person for more info and asking more questions. Most staff members will ignore the socials cues because that's what the book says to do and push on and hope for the best.

I personally can't stand Warhammer World because it's like wave after wave. You beat one away and another comes at ya, but that's because they are being watched by the all seeing eye.

So where do I stand in the middle of all this?

My closest store recently got a new manager. Now, i don't go into GW all that often if I can help it, personal reasons from being a Staff member, however the current manager has never acknowledged me as I've gone into the store. On several occasions I'm left waiting 5 minutes for him to even see me let alone serve me while I'm waiting to buy WD. This frustrates me greatly. I think I'm a middle ground dweller in all this. I like that fact the staffer knows I'm there, but at the same time if I want to talk I will, if not, take the hint buddy.

EDIT
    So, to answer the poll, it's subjective. GW as a company, No. GW minis, Yes. GW Stores? It's the staff that make them, some are good, some are bad.
    Last edited by KaiZie; 10-14-2013 at 05:47 AM.

I like my local store and staff. I don't like GW as a whole.

The reason you're asked what you're painting/collecting is the same reason I'm constantly asked whether I have/want a Nectar card. They have corporate directives. It's not the people's fault (and you can see that the younger/newer ones are worse at this because they're trying to impress their bosses). Hate the game, not the player.

With that said, I quite like shooting the **** with the local staff. Most of them know me by now so it's pretty fun to talk about what I'm doing, what I'm looking forward to, and so on. I've even given a couple of them painting advice.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    The reason you're asked what you're painting/collecting is the same reason I'm constantly asked whether I have/want a Nectar card. They have corporate directives. It's not the people's fault (and you can see that the younger/newer ones are worse at this because they're trying to impress their bosses). Hate the game, not the player.

With that said, I quite like shooting the **** with the local staff. Most of them know me by now so it's pretty fun to talk about what I'm doing, what I'm looking forward to, and so on. I've even given a couple of them painting advice.
    I do like seeing the new guys always watching their back for the Big Boss Man. It reminds me of myself when I started, before the curtain was pulled back to reveal all the inner workings of the great white tower.

GW is a strange beast. For new people, it's truely epic service, helping you along every step of the way and giving you everything you could ever need skill-wise to get you going. Sadly, if you've a hobbyist for many years, I'm sure you would have seen the shift away from late night gaming days, and opening gaming, and felt the sting of it if it was your only hobby outlet.

You can't fault GW for looking after the new people, they are what keeps the company rolling. Use beardy, jaded lot will moan all day long but still hand over cashy money for new toys, be it directly to GW or one of it's many independent stockists, and GW knows this. For every person that leaves the hobby, there are 2 bright eyed guys ready to grab a brush, and so they should. The hobby is awesome

Chapter-Master

I echo a frustration with the 'pitch' - although the vast majority of staffers, who recognise a vet when they see one, simply give the necessary company questions and then leave you to get on with.

For them what doesn't, I find it quite effective to use the following script:

GW Staffer: 'How are you today?'

Denzark: 'Fine thank'ee young shaver, whatabout you?'

GW Staffer: 'Um, yeah, I'm good. So, what brings you in here today?'

Denzark: 'Just a bit of browse, I may pick up some paint'

GW Staffer: 'Oh right. Are you a collector or just a modeller then?'

Denzark (with an air of mystique) 'A bit of everything really'

GW Staffer: 'So what are you working on at the moment?'

Denzark: 'Some Squats* I've had lying around for years'

GW Staffer: 'Oh. Um, have you seen the new (insert expensive plastic crack here)?

Denzark: 'Yeah, I have, but I don't like it. I think it is a rubbish sculpt and its a nasty xenos that should be brought into the imperial truth through the medium of fire.'

GW Staffer: ' uhhhn - OK well, um, if you need anything just ask..)

*substitute Squats for Zoats, Space Elves, Christmas Marines, Man O'War, Necromunda or anything highly collectable, 20-odd years old and not currently acknowledged by the firm.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

It does bother me that some of the oldest parts of my collection are older than some of the staff...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    It does bother me that some of the oldest parts of my collection are older than some of the staff...
    What bothers me is the lack of historical knowledge of the hobby some staffers have. Granted, not everyone has to be all knowing, but I always tried to know a little bit about everything so I could have a conversion about the customers hobby.

Best moment I ever had was helping to cover a store, and chatting to a guy about Warmachine and Hordes, getting the dirtiest of looks from the other staff member, even being taken away from the conversation to get a quiet caution, right before I sold the guy a tonne of paint for his Cryx. I've always found that being able to take to people about what they want to talk about really helps, regardless of the subject matter.

This was partly why me and GW fell out quite quickly. I was never really an Ultramarine, more....Alpha Legion

Chapter-Master

See, maybe my store is the exception, but I don't get the hard sell. The most I get is 'have you got all the glues and paints you need?' Maybe it's because I never go into browse, only when I specifically want to buy something. Whatever, the two guys that run the Derby store do a great job. They are genuinely passionate about the hobby, talk to me like I'm an adult who knows what I'm doing with it, as well as offering some great advice. I converted my own Dark Elf Harpies off the back of something they suggested and they have given me a great idea for some unit fillers for my Wood Elves. I couldn't ask for more. Also, once upon a time, Duncan Rhodes of WD fame used to work in our store.

As others have said, it's a big difference between not liking the policies top brass come up with and not liking the staff on the frontline. Whatever their other faults, GW does a good job at training up their shop staff.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Maybe he's taking it to the extreme. But I'm with York on this. It's simply an introverts view (and yes IRL I am on that end of the extrovert-introvert spectrum). I like to be left alone when shopping.
    I've walked out of shops that have the hard sell and paid more in a shop I'm left alone in before.
    No. Not being able to restrain yourself from wanting to punch someone when they talk to you or try and sell you something isn't introversion, it's psychosis.
    Last edited by Xenith; 10-14-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Chapter-Master

But he does restrain himself. He didn't say he goes in and punches the staff. It just triggers his fight or flight response.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast