BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Pure Drop Pod SM

Consider the following and apply corrections were needed/feedback

Lo' mates,

1250p

5 Drop Pods,3 arriving on first turn

4 x 5 Sternguards with 2x5 armed with combi meltas and 2x5 armed with combi flamers, in the first two drop pods

One Librarian with Null Zone for them pesky invas and maybe Smite and 10 assault/one captain with command squad with storm shields ( Feel no Pain and Inv 3)/10 tacticals with Vulkan He'stan

2x5 tacticals dropping with the last two drop pods on turn 2+

At 1500 i guess i could put two more drop pods and put a thunderfire or Dread/perhaps ignore the extra pods and put shrike with command squad with storm shields who assault on turn one.

Possible side-effects include: The boredom of buying,modelling and painting 7 Drop Pods.

Gimme Feed and sorry for spamming

Brother-Sergeant

sternguard are elites your only allowed 3 choices of them, unless there is a special character that allows you more. ( i can't remeber if Vulkan does )

all drop pods is of intrest to me as i am wanting to do the same, exept i can't get the list down to less than 2000 pts... i just like too many options
    -Chris
    tied more games than i've won and still have fun every time i lose.

Brother-Sergeant

Space Marines tactics bro, you re fielding actually 2 units of Sternguards,you just divide them to 4 when they hit the ground via drop pods,for all game purposes they re counted as 2 elite units.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Forteller View Post
    Space Marines tactics bro, you re fielding actually 2 units of Sternguards,you just divide them to 4 when they hit the ground via drop pods,for all game purposes they re counted as 2 elite units.
    Only problem is you can't split the squad after it hits the ground so half of it would be hoofing it across the board.

The Librarian in term. armor w/ the assault termies would probably be your best bet and it'd cut down on the number of droppods you need.

A Dread with a Multi-Melta and Extra Armor in a DropPod would work out as a very nice anti-armor punch for you as well. If you don't take the Termies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsday View Post
    Only problem is you can't split the squad after it hits the ground so half of it would be hoofing it across the board.
    Yes, you can. Squads are split into combat squads when "deployed," which is not necessarily the start of the game. "Deploy" means the first time the unit hits the board, which could be during the pre-game deployment, or could be when the squad arrives from reserves. You can absolutely put a squad of marines into a drop pod, drop the entire squad, and combat squad when the marines exit the drop pod.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Yes, you can. Squads are split into combat squads when "deployed," which is not necessarily the start of the game. "Deploy" means the first time the unit hits the board, which could be during the pre-game deployment, or could be when the squad arrives from reserves. You can absolutely put a squad of marines into a drop pod, drop the entire squad, and combat squad when the marines exit the drop pod.
    Yeah he's right! The first time a marine player did this to me I asked to see his book. It makes taking stern guard a bit more worth it.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master

Are these, pray tell, Salamanders? Or just another bland marines who happen to have hired the services of Hestanomong?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.