BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
    That is the rumor.

My recs:

Shinzō Ningen Kyashān [anime] and Casshern [live action movie based on the anime]
    Predator [1987]
    Heavy Metal [1981]
    CASSHERN SINS pissed me off. Although I liked Casshern robot hunter. I want to see the old Casshern tv series though.

I say Angel Cop. Simply space marine vs psyker. Angel Cop is one of my favorites. Must see if you like a bad *** female character.

Black Lagoon is good too. Revy kinda reminds me of Angel from Angel Cop. Thinking about it I would say Revy is nicer, but mory sadistic. Angel would blow your brains out, while Revy would tortue you before she blows your brains out.

Beserk is a good anime as well. More of a fantasy setting.

I like the first season of the Guyver series. The original cartoon. The second series was nit as good and the remake was ok, but got through more of the story.

Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood was good.

Macross Plus was cool.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Skullchewer View Post
    Ugh, the Tank Girl adaptation was dreadful.
    Back to printed sci-fi, I strongly recommend [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz"]A Canticle for Leibowitz[/URL]. It isn't action oriented pew pew lazzorz sci-fi. It has some very 40K style themes, with the religious links.
    Attachment 5307

Canticle is da bomb. Want to add The Deathworld Trilogy to any 40k readers its one of the best deathworld books from early 60s laser and sword scifi-fantasy if you ever a must read for any catachan player.

had a good thread on Warp Shadow for a bit about this ago, also to read is Voyage of the Space Beagle.

Also Im sure some yall have read this but any 40k fan should read all the way through 2000 AD comics at some point in his or her life

Found on reddit so I'm not familiar with this game, the trailer feels a bit like an Imperial Army officer narrating the outset of the Great Crusade. The aesthetic isn't quite as gothic as 40k but the tropes are there.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owdjizoiqVY[/url]

Nice drop pods eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    What about tank girl?
    Not really. Rebecca would not fit in the Grimdark, nor would Booga. Sisters of Battle are NOT Riot Grrrls. Tank Girl fits more with Animal House/Counter Culture [drugs, sex, punk rock, anti-establishment] than 40K's grandiose marshal themes. Plots involving sodomizing a talking toy koala with bananas, colostomy bag delivery, and a character called "The King of Farts" don't fit, either. It doesn't fulfill the OP's request for dark scifi.

And, yes, the movie is terrible... the costuming wasn't too bad?

Brother-Sergeant

Predator is an interesting one ha what in the 40k universe would you relate it to? Catcachans?

Quote Originally Posted by xbenblasterx View Post
    Predator is an interesting one ha what in the 40k universe would you relate it to? Catcachans?
    Dutch could totally be Straken [minus the land shark bionic body parts thing] leading a rescue team that gets attacked by genestealers or some other xenos attacker.
    Last edited by The Girl; 10-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Chapter-Master

Check out Darker than Black and Psycho Pass. Psycho Pass is basically an anime version of Blade Runner with a hint of Minority Report.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Dutch could totally be Straken [minus the land shark bionic body parts thing] leading a rescue team that gets attacked by genestealers or some other xenos attacker.
    I think Sergeant "Stonetooth" Harker is pretty clearly Dutch, straight out of the minigun scene in fact!

Not really. Rebecca would not fit in the Grimdark, nor would Booga. Sisters of Battle are NOT Riot Grrrls. Tank Girl fits more with Animal House/Counter Culture [drugs, sex, punk rock, anti-establishment] than 40K's grandiose marshal themes. Plots involving sodomizing a talking toy koala with bananas, colostomy bag delivery, and a character called "The King of Farts" don't fit, either. It doesn't fulfill the OP's request for dark scifi.

And, yes, the movie is terrible... the costuming wasn't too bad?
    I actually think the Tank Girl setting gets more at some pf the weird counter-culture themes present "the behind the lines" in 40k, albeit with a more absurdist twist. Hive gangs and crapsack war-worlds or prison worlds rife with internecine conflict like Necromunda and/or Savlar. Consider the "Moody Hammer" hive gangers briefly mentioned in Eisenhorn; punk-esque drug addicted street thugs with massive steroid boosted/implanted muscles and teeth surgically implanted in their tongues apparently "just because."

People have mentioned the Dune series before but its worth noting it again because it was a very clear inspiration for the whole grandly dystopic and technologically incongruous vibe that IS the Imperium of 40k.

Similarly, the Sharpe series has been mentioned and Abnett has pretty clearly stated that it was one of his inspirations for the Ghosts novels. Similar works of historical fiction are often good parallels in my mind for the anachronistic culture of the Imperium as a whole. One of the reasons that the Imperium can be so hard for people to "get" is that they operate from a pre-20th century mindset (alternatively Roman, medieval, Georgian, or Victorian depending on where you are). I like Patrick O'Brien's novels because they really give an inside feel for the aristocratic military structure that I think transplants rather well into 40k, plus naval culture and combat in 40k has some very strong parallels with the golden age of sail.

Finally, I love H.P. Lovecraft and feel that he really gets at the vibe of existential horror that I think underpins the 40k setting; individual human smallness in the face of a vast and terribly uncaring (if not hostile) universe. Depending on the story there are some very Chaos-like themes of sorcery and what happens when humans meddle with unnatural entities and powers, or gets at a Necron/xenos feel of the impossibly ancient and alien.

Of course this is all very personal, what carries over for one person will just not do it for the next.
    Last edited by Just_Me; 10-17-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    Canticle is da bomb. Want to add The Deathworld Trilogy to any 40k readers its one of the best deathworld books from early 60s laser and sword scifi-fantasy if you ever a must read for any catachan player.

had a good thread on Warp Shadow for a bit about this ago, also to read is Voyage of the Space Beagle.

Also Im sure some yall have read this but any 40k fan should read all the way through 2000 AD comics at some point in his or her life
    Hell yes! Harrison's Deathworld had a big influence on 40K.
    Voyage of the space Beagle was the inspiration for D&D's Displacer Beast.

2000AD beats Marvel and DC hands down, in my opinion.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234