BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Tyrant's Legion

Brother-Captain

Default Tyrant's Legion

Anyone out there used it, is it as fun as it looks?
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Librarian

I originally bought the book after games day 2 summers ago i mainly wanted it for the gothic list as well as the SM characters. the tyrants legion list is interesting but honestly you can get a better version of it if you just allied with guard. all you really miss out on is the arms men as well as mauranders units as well as some cool forge world options oh and the cool 20 man sm squad that can take up to 2 heavies and 2 specials. there is a cool apothecary unit but its super fragile its not as effective as the ba priest option sadly.

Battle-Brother

I'll go on record, I think the Tyrant Legion list is incredibly powerful on the table.

The blocks of cheap infantry are tough to knock out when the Space Marine character (centurion) leads them. The move to firepower over assault in sixth means those blocks of 40 have significant numbers of attack dice.

The combo of cheap infantry with big blocks of space marines is tough for many armies to deal with. 20 Marines with boltguns have an incredible amount of firepower on the table, especially when backed with guard artillery.

It is a different kind of army, with some crazy unit combinations. Hellhounds as fast attack in a marine army is amazing. The retaliators are better on the table than they look in the book. The Marauders can deliver a tough alpha strike against key enemy units very cheaply.

The key is you have to be willing to do something many players are not....simply throw units into the fray with the understanding they will be destroyed. I love playing the list.

Librarian

there are a few tasty options but you forget to mention that while you get ton's of bodies and they are super cheap they're not the same as guardsmen they lack the order's system their options aren't always the same as what you can get in the guard book.. for me the tryant legion army is cool but not as good as simply allying with guard. what you loose by running tyrants legion is not worth what you give up not running guard.

The tyrants legion is better than allying with guard imo.
    The tyrants due allows for a wall of cannon fodder that gives better protection to your 20 man squad of maureens.
    Having superior havoc squads as troops is immense and not to be trifled with at all.
    Having a funky artillery battery cover their advance too is a bonus.
    The marauders in an arvus are awesome and often a shock to the oppo with their friendly ogryn mixed in

The typo between the arvus transport option and the arvus option for fast attack is odd but hey ho.