BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there an army you can't beat?

I have a pal who plays both skaven and lizards on a regular basis and is a very good player. With most of my armies, I can put up a good fight, but for some reason, I can not win against his skaven with my tomb kings.

I have no idea how to stop them.

If his hell pits don't get me, his magic rips through me. If it's not being beaten up by plague monks, I'm getting roasted with fire. It's almost like I'm jinxed but my TKs just can't seem to keep the rats down.

Fear isn't a factor with all of the leadership bonuses he can stack and I've tried all sorts of builds (catapults, magic, hoarde, monster stomp...) but those rat *******s always get the best of me.

Does anyone else have an army nemesis?
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

well as I have said in other threads I think skaven are too good
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Warhammer can be a very rock-paper-scissors type game. There will always be unfavorable matchups, which can be magnified when fielding themed armies. My friend and I used to play a lot of High Elves vs Tomb Kings battles, and those frequently went poorly for his Tomb Kings (although his wins were particularly memorable). He is currently playing Chaos Warriors, which I have been having trouble against, with my only victory so far primarily due to one incredibly lucky charge.

Occuli Imperator

As Jervis said, there is no unbeatable army, just pitch it against itself and one side will lose.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

For my Skaven the closest fights are against Vampire Counts. They aren't unbeatable but they are usually tough fights although the shriek lists don't phase me much.

@cactus - Against Skaven try using the casket, War Sphinxes (with fiery roar), catapults, and/or a Light Council setup. The key to Skaven is to largely ignore the chaff. If you kill off the Weapon Teams, Cannons, Doomwheels, and HPAs, the rest of the army isn't that hard to handle. So archer the weapon teams, Casket the Doomwheels/HPAs/Cannons. If they bring Plague Monks... charge the war sphinx in, breath, Thundercrush, Thunderstomp.

That's a bit general but that's the best way of dealing with Skaven (coming from a Skaven general that also plays TK).
    Last edited by Chronowraith; 10-16-2013 at 05:17 AM.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Wood Elves.

I've only beaten the Stick Pixies a couple of times. And both were in 8th Ed
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Tomb Kings have the most magic enhanced armies in the game. A casket of souls, with magic hierophant, and a level 4 Nehekarian caster will dominate the magic phase. You will be getting so many bonuses in casting. Plus you have access to T8 monsters which would crush plague furnaces and the screaming bell hordes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    I have a pal who plays both skaven and lizards on a regular basis and is a very good player. With most of my armies, I can put up a good fight, but for some reason, I can not win against his skaven with my tomb kings.

I have no idea how to stop them.

If his hell pits don't get me, his magic rips through me. If it's not being beaten up by plague monks, I'm getting roasted with fire. It's almost like I'm jinxed but my TKs just can't seem to keep the rats down.

Fear isn't a factor with all of the leadership bonuses he can stack and I've tried all sorts of builds (catapults, magic, hoarde, monster stomp...) but those rat *******s always get the best of me.

Does anyone else have an army nemesis?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Wood Elves.

I've only beaten the Stick Pixies a couple of times. And both were in 8th Ed
    I have the opposite problem, I can't beat anything with my wood elves!
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I have the opposite problem, I can't beat anything with my wood elves!
    So if we played, quantam anomaly?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Probably. Definitely worth finding out.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast