BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Best way to use Apocalypse Tzeentch War Coven

Hi, everybody, we have a 3000 point per player Apocalypse game coming up in November and I've been thinking about using a Tzeentch War Coven.

There's always putting that unit in a Land Raider but that's almost certainly going to get blown up Turn 1, and since we end up with basically an 8 foot x 18 foot table, I'm not sure that will get them far enough to shoot the psychic choir attack.

Should I give them all wings and/or Terminator armor for deepstriking? Or should I mount them on bikes? Or I could put them in a Dreadclaw too.

Dreadclaw is probably the cheapest option overall....so far I have a Slayer of Souls Daemon Lord in there, and the 3x3 Obliterator Cult of Destruction which also requires 1 unit of Mutilators (ugh), and a Doomblaster of Khorne, possibly a Skyshield Landing Pad and Manticore too.

In case you couldn't tell I'm keeping the model count to a minimum

What say you?

I'm unfamiliar with the formation, can you state the formation composition and the special rules that it has?

Ah yes, sorry about that. The Formation requires Ahriman or a Mastery 3 Chaos Sorcerer, plus at least 3 other Mastery 1 Chaos Sorcerers. Otherwise they can take anything they want as far as upgrades and such.

The psychic choir power is Warp Charge 2, 48" range, Strength D/AP1 Vortex, small blast, Assault X where X=1 to 3 Chaos Sorcerers who get sacrificed for each blast desired....so gotta go with 3 per shot! Definitely about the most expensive shooting attack in the game, but 3 Vortex blasts floating around should spell trouble for the enemy

Of course in Apocalypse, surviving until a shooting phase could be tricky. So that's why I'd probably keep the unit in Strategic Reserves, which in new Apoc rules, can come in Turn 1 by my choosing if I remember correctly. But it sure would be nice to have more than 1 round of blasting with those guys!

Ok, this is a titan hunting squadron if I've ever seen one. Dreadclaw, deepstrike next to a Warlord or Reaver, sacrifice 3 and destroy a Warlord in one turn. Easy.

Alternatively, find the largest formation of troops set them down in front of them and vortex away.