BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new to necrons

if you are playing friendlies ... just proxy stuff until you find the balance you like...

i play v necrons... so imo the 10 man immortal squad is the 'best' standard 'troop' unit.. the 20 man warrior blob with lord is also v. useful

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    the 10 man immortal squad is the 'best' standard 'troop' unit.. the 20 man warrior blob with lord is also v. useful
    Somewhat agreed. I've had far more success with the blob than immortals. I do still love me some tesla immortals though.

Battle-Brother

I find the ghost ark a wonderful model ,so i will use it .
    But i am still thinking about what to build: the tesla immortals or the gauss or deathmarks ?

Warriors and scarabs are in.
    Nightscythe and annihilation barge are build
    Wraiths with whip coils or maybe with an another option

Does anybody use tomb blades , the models look nice but the rules are meh ?

Scout

Tomb Blades are a waste of time, they look awesome but they die far too easily. The problem is that you can only have 5 in a unit, they will get shot to ?*&$, and they take up a fast attack slot that is much better spent on Wraiths and Scarabs.

Immortals really depends on what you want them to do, if they are going to kill vehicles then Gauss, if not the Tesla. To be honest your first unit should probably be Tesla, you have the Warriors to deliver the Gauss.

As for Deathmarks, they are really good against one or two things but not so hot against others. A big enough unit with a mark on a Wraith Knight for example will likely do a fair number of wounds, to hit on a 3+ then wound on a 2+, they will get mowed down though, if you can hide them in cover you could keep them alive a bit longer. As is the problem with most Necron weapons though, its only range 24, it is however a Rapid Fire Sniper and not a Heavy as most Sniper weapons usually are. I would consider them for a more specialized force and start with the Immortals.

Battle-Brother

So now I managed to get some games with and versus my necrons .
    What I think , is I need more wraiths , a second Ghost Ark and some little Lords .
    A night scythe with lord and warriors is a breaker .
    Just close combat is in most instances a lost thing .
    with the notable execption of wraiths .
    Gauss Immortals are very good if the are pointed at eldar and such 4+ armor save guys
    but I will buy some tesla Immortals too.
    Tesla is awesome .

Battle-Brother

I'm with rxcky on the converting Lychgaurd into Crypteks. I've generally been disappointed in how Lychgaurd perform (although not much experience in 6th with them). They make good, relatively cheap Crypteks with the Deathmark heads, and Crypteks are a huge boon to a Necron army, in that they provide an avenue to good anti-tank shooting and fun bits of wargear. Also, Lychgaurd make great generic Lords with Warscythes. Honestly, I just love the models and try to find places to use them.

Brother-Captain

You have so much Gauss in the Warriors already that I think it would be good for your Immortals to have Tesla.

Battle-Brother

Well there is room for crypteks , but mine will be the szeras and orikan models .
    Lychguard may be cheaper to convert but , i will give them a try either as guard or pretorians .

Stretch your scarabs by only using 3, not 4, per base. Just make sure to have enough other stuff on the base so it doesn't look too plain.
    Army - W/L/T
    CSM - 2/3/0, Necrons - 2/2/1, Tau - 0/0/0

First-Captain

I would like to see lychguard more, but they don't work so hot.

The fast jetbike guys aren't bad. They are well costed, but since you have immortals it is redundant.

I think my favorite modelnin the army is the cryptech. The Cryptech gives the army character and makes playing necrons not so cut and paste.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast