BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iron Father

Default Wraith "counts as" Aspect Warriors.

Right a quick questions and some thoughts on my Iyanden army and an idea I have had.
    To begin with my Iyanden army is getting close to 2000pts. This is all mainly wraith units as the boots with the exception of the hq who of course is a spirit seer.

I am now looking to add some aspects to the army but I have hit a bit of a wall. I hate finecast. I'm not talking about the usual gripes. I just hate painting it. Now I have been thinking of alternative plastic models I could use in their place. Then it struck me, why not buy more Wraithguard plastic kits, using the right size bases convert and paint them to represent the aspects I want to play. A kind of Wraith "counts as" I was wondering what you guys think. I have added to this section as I don't want to enrage the fluff bunnies too much. But I did think it could work. How say you ?

Warp wraiths.
    Striking Scorpion Wraiths.
    Fire Dragon Wraiths.
    Just 3 examples.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

sounds like a gr8 idea for a kitbash... and in friendly games you can claim they are all St5 T6 !

Very achievable, Paint job will get you over half way there.

Striking scorpions will be hardest as getting a large chainsword is not easy.

I think it's a good idea. I get the fluff objection, but I don't think even that is hard and fast. I say go for it.

First-Captain

great idea - problem is, the right base size will be quite tough, with how widespread some of the wraithdudes are standing...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Base extenders, a stray piece of slate or 'wraithbone' can help bridge that gap.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    Base extenders, a stray piece of slate or 'wraithbone' can help bridge that gap.
    Yes I had considered that, I usually like to use cork on my bases anyway and I will try and alter the poses from the norm as well.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    Very achievable, Paint job will get you over half way there.

Striking scorpions will be hardest as getting a large chainsword is not easy.
    A large Chainsword shouldn't be too difficult.
    Wraithguard come with a lot of swords in the box set..
    Notching the blades with a craft knife or rat-tail file would be a cinch.

Personally though, I'm not too keen on your idea.
    The existing Aspect Warriors are more than adequate and if you don't like Finecast there are plenty of metal models out there on eBay.
    The Fire Dragons are a particular joy to paint.

From a pure gaming perspective, you may find that the larger size of the Wraithguard models means many more of your enemy's models will be gaining Line of Sight to them compared to using the much smaller, genuine models. That's certainly something I'd be looking to exploit.

Anyway, good luck to you should you carry out your idea.
    I'll be following it with great interest.

This one might sound a bit weird, but instead of trying to fit big wraithguard onto 25mm bases, maybe convert up from Dark Eldar warriors to represent smaller wraith constructs? The armour style is a bit different from typical Eldar, but not too different - plus, they have tabards, like the wraithguard.

Trim off the spikes/blades/top knots/ragged bits of tabard (pretty easy), greenstuff over the visors (also pretty easy), then kitbash the variety of weird weapons you get with the kit to represent the aspect you want.

Also, I don't think there'd be much problem with it fluffwise! If an Iyanden house needed Aspect Warrior support it didn't have, it wouldn't be crazy at all for them to build small, specialized wraith constructs for the spirits of Aspect Warriors.

Thought about doing it myself a while back. Here's my ramblings on how I would do a couple of the aspects
    [url]http://nexusofshadows.blogspot.ie/2013/06/wraith-court-of-young-king.html[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast