BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default 1750 Eldar with Marines

Hi everybody!

Given that Allies of Convenience isn't a huge penalty I've started tinkering with how to mix Eldar and Marines. Fluffwise Eldar are second only to Tzeentch in manipulating the fates of 'lesser' races so I don't have any real issue with mixing these books. Also while not uber competitive like Taudar I think there are some synergies to build from. This list focuses on speed.

Anyhow here's the first draft of the list. Any suggestions, criticisms or pointing out of blind spots would be very much appreciated.

The Need for Speed

Primary
    1 Farseer, Jetbike
    6 Jetbikes (2 x Shuriken Cannons)
    10 Guardians
    1 Wave Serpent (TL Scatter, Shuriken Cannon, Holofields)
    10 Guardian
    1 Wave Serpent (TL Bright Lance, Holofields)
    6 Swooping Hawks
    3 War Walkers (2x Scatter Lasers)

Allied
    1 Captain, Bike, Artificer Armor, Shield Eternal, Burning Blade
    5 Command Squad, Bikes, Apothecary, Champion, 3xMeltaguns, 3x MB, 3x Storm Shied, 1 x Lightning Claw
    8 Bikes, 2x Meltaguns
    1 Attack Bike, Multi-Melta

Clocks in at 1746 points and 53 models.

11 KP's and can expand to 5 scoring units by Combat squading the marine bikes.

My thought with flyers is basically to ignore them and try to maul the enemy ground forces as quickly as possible. Expanding to 2k I would drop in an Eldar Nightwing Interceptor but it eats a lot of points at 1750.

Thanks mates!
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 10-23-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Chapter Masters can't take Command Squads, just honor guard. You'd need to demote him to a captain to take a command squad along. Maybe use the spare points to get a power weapon or something else into the command squad? I can't really speak to the Eldar half of the list so much.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Boyle View Post
    Chapter Masters can't take Command Squads, just honor guard. You'd need to demote him to a captain to take a command squad along. Maybe use the spare points to get a power weapon or something else into the command squad? I can't really speak to the Eldar half of the list so much.
    Yikes! I got so excited that Chapter Masters can now ride bikes that I forgot they don't get Command Squads! That does free up a decent chunk of points that can spread the love around the command squad to make it a little tougher.

Thanks for the correction!

looks interesting... what do the hawks do that the marine bikes cant do better ? ... other than die horribly of course !

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    looks interesting... what do the hawks do that the marine bikes cant do better ? ... other than die horribly of course !
    When it comes to Hawks I'm just a big old softy. I've used them in the last 20+ games. I usually start them out of sight turn 1 and skyleap so I can start annoying my opponent turn 2.

I've used them for linebreaker, sniping scouts and pathfinders with their grenades and actually taking down tanks with Haywire. They are typically not a high priority target for most opponents so they tend to last through most games for me.

You are correct about the marines doing a lot of what I just listed better though.

Chapter-Master

Question

Here's a variant that replaces the bikes with drop podding Space Wolves. It also has room to squeeze in an Autarch, Spiritseer or 2nd Farseer. I really like this one too as the potential mayhem caused by 2 rune priests with JoWW has a lot of entertainment value. The big downside is that the KP's skyrocket with this type of build due to all the HQ's and Pods that hit the table! So do you prefer bikes or pods?

Primary
    1 Farseer, Jetbike
    1 Autarch, Jetbike, Fusion Gun
    6 Jetbikes (2 x Shuriken Cannons)
    10 Guardians
    10 Guardian
    6 Swooping Hawks
    3 War Walkers (2x Scatter Lasers)

Allied
    1 Rune Priest, Chooser
    5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun
    1 Wolf Guard Termie, Combi Melta
    Drop Pod

1 Rune Priest
    5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun
    1 Wolf Guard Termie, Combi Melta
    Drop Pod

2 Wolf Guard, 2xCombi Flamers
    1 Wolf Guard Termie, Heavy Flamer
    Drop Pod

Chaplain

"I would drop in an Eldar Nightwing Interceptor but it eats a lot of points at 1750."

Not really.
    145 points for a Nightwing.
    BS 4.
    Twin Linked Bright Lance.
    Twin linked Shuriken Cannon.
    Ninety Degree Turn - Move - Ninety Degree Turn.
    2+ Jink Save.
    It soaks up a disproportionate amount of enemy fire that would otherwise be aimed at the rest of your force.
    Seriously.
    What's not to like?

I rarely leave home without one.
    Only once has it failed to make its points back.
    Last week - Two Chaos Land Raiders.
    Yesterday - Game One - One Contemptor and Six Terminators.
    Game Two - One Land Raider and One Rhino.

I can't recommend one enough.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
    "I would drop in an Eldar Nightwing Interceptor but it eats a lot of points at 1750."

Not really.
    145 points for a Nightwing.
    What's not to like?

I can't recommend one enough.
    My biggest problem is bad reserve dice karma. Darn thing doesn't usually show up until turn 4!! I feel like I need to squeeze in the Autarch to support it's arrival.