BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Mad Mek's Workshop

Starting on some conversions and scratch-builds for my Ork army. I'm still petty new to this, and all pics are WIP.

The large tan tire is a Beywheels toy that I bought to find out whether it could be used to make an absurdly oversized [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocycle]monocycle[/url] for an Ork Nob Biker. If anyone else thinks about doing such a conversion, note that the wheel is made of a fairly soft rubber compound, and cutting out the hub means cutting through a more rigid plastic skeleton hidden inside. A dremel-type tool with a sanding wheel is most useful for carefully smoothing out the rough chop job necessary to get it all cleared out.

Also note that the deffcopta has had the blade removed. Earlier pictures shown below have my earlier attachment system. I'm not sure how I want it to look, but that wasn't right yet?

Two of the zzap guns are made from cannibalized Bionicle tie-in Happy meal toys. Wheels are from broken cars and toy motorcycles, along with some insulin vial caps I got from a diabetic family member. The drop tank racer will eventually get a gun platform behind the engine. I think I'll just glue in a regular ork torso for the driver instead of trying to find a surplus gunner grot from someone's fighta-bomma kit.

Here is the older deffcopta pic, along with a cybork Nob. You can see more clearly here how the kopta is made from a 1:72 F-15 (green), a 1:48 F16 (light gray) and sprue segments along with some Ork bitz. The Nob's arm is made with gears from broken Happy Meal wind-up toys, Ork bitz, and a rod from the F-16 kit

And here's a close-up of the cybork arm

Ideas for things I may want to build later on: a deffkopta resembling a Borderlands 2 Buzzard, a Nob Biker on something like a Brute Chopper from Halo, and a scratch-built trukk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture025_zps9e2becd7.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	5400  
    Last edited by Lord Tothe; 10-23-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    "Tothe" rhymes with "cloth."

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tothe View Post

Ideas for things I may want to build later on: a deffkopta resembling a Borderlands 2 Buzzard, a Nob Biker on something like a Brute Chopper from Halo
    These are both brilliant ideas.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Skullchewer View Post
    These are both brilliant ideas.
    Why thank you! Those ideas are of course copyrighted by me and can't possibly be built by anyone else unless they pay me vast sums of money first. But of course I owe nothing to Gearbox or Bungie :P

Seriously though, I'd like to see if other people with more experience want to try any of my ideas and do a better job. If an Ork dex is around the corner in 2014, maybe new units will be available for even more Mad Mek builds

Go forth and ork on, copyright me... oh and post picture strictly so I don't copy.... or infringe on I mean. Oh and the cybork arm looks gimpy. But who cares.

Veteran-Sergeant

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	5447

Have another pic of the nob. This one has a blurry muzzle on the gun due to me not having the camera focus quite right. It shows what I did for a kombi-rokkit shoota better though. That's a bit of sprue for a rail holding a much-trimmed bomb from the F-15 kit I cannibalized.
    Last edited by Lord Tothe; 10-28-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tothe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	5447

Have another pic of the nob. This one has a blurry muzzle on the gun due to me not having the camera focus quite right. It shows what I did for a kombi-rokkit shoota better though. That's a bit of sprue for a rail holding a much-trimmed bomb from the F-15 kit I cannibalized.
    Ha, he looks great! Have you tried any of the Spellcrow or Kromlech stuff? Been messing about with some Cyborks using their stuff.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyborks.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	5463
    Not the best paint job ever, but you get the idea. Really fun ork bits.