BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

This is sweet EP! I'm thinking about what it means for him to move and I am wondering what you were envisioning. Are you thinking that the tree is walking around with him on the "Throne of Vines" as it were, or more of a "where ever he goes, his magical presence is so powerful that the earth sprouts tree after tree that carry him along like a conveyor belt?"

I'm hoping it's the latter, it's a cool image.

Chaplain

This is very cool, I've been wanting to do something similar but I was probably going to be a bit lazy and use a tree from the terrain kit. It looks like you have got some extra height on the model which is good as I am always nudging Temple Guard over using the Slann on the flying stand.

Looking forward to seeing a completed model.

Chapter-Master

Ha! Take that mother****er!

As you may know - probably you don't - the skull-vortex-thing from the Balewind Vortex/Magewrath Throne kit cannot be had for love or money anywhere in the Internet. I don't believe I had mentioned this yet, but I was planning on using one of those in a similar way - to replace the flight stem - for my living Slann. I like the idea of my dead Slann on a living tree and my living Slann on a pillar of faces. I don't know - it appeals to the perverse in me to make my zombie Slann into some kind of Lore of Life/Lore of High Magic vivomancer while my living Slann delves into Lore of Death/Lore of Shadows and other nasty stuff. The trouble is that the kit is nigh-impossible to find, and although the tree has come out well, I'm not confident in my ability to sculpt a vortex with skulls in out of greenstuff.

Anyway, I finally found one on eBay. I've been searching for months, ever since the last time I saw one and it vanished before I could make up my mind to jump on it.

I can't really afford it, but it's the best $20 I ever spent.

Watch this space for updates on both my first Slann (delayed by my finishing up a squad of Skinks) and my second.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2013-11-04 at 7.20.10 AM.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	5549

This is the bit I was talking about. Could not find it anywhere. But now it's MINE.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    and my living Slann on a pillar of faeces.
    You're weird.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Alpha Legion Operative

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    You're weird.
    Sic.

Chapter-Master

Here, have some more lizard stuff.

First, a "finished" Skink unit. I say finished because my current 1.5k list has squads of 10, but my 2k list has one squad of 15. Damn Fantasy and its unlimited unit sizes, making it impossible for me to wrap up a unit and call it "done."

Anyway, I'm happy with how they turned out:

And here are some WIP shots of stuff that's flat-painted and ready for the dip.

And some stuff that's only primed, to give you an idea of what's coming up next:

Fly Lord

I like em!

I would suggest doing an experiment on a single model with a very light wash of either an earth tone, or perhaps a slightly bluish brown. I find that for naturalistic minis like orks, lizardmen, tyranids a wash can help unify the various colors and give a more "realistic" feel to the finished piece.

All that deep relief and stone and tarnished gold are practically screaming for washes of some type.

Have fun with them - they are looking great!
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try rewashing the gold bits.

The models are dipped, so in person the contrasts are quite striking. I think it's a combination of my ****ty camera and the general effects of being inexpertly photographs that makes them look so flat. I'm not saying that they can't be improved, but they do look a lot better in person than they do in this photo!

Looking good! You are somewhat motivating me to get back to work painting my Lizards. Now I just have to get over all this crap I have (ear and sinus infection).
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast