BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Frozen was one of my favourite Disney films ever and one of the best films I've seen in ages. I think you may be right too, I mean they really subverted the whole villain thing in Frozen and it worked so hopefully they will do something similar with Maleficent.
    I really liked Frozen. It was a good movie and it wasn't typical. The main villain wasn't overly obvious. The breaking of the spell was awesome and not typical, etc. I think the movie breaks the mold and is more modern.

I originally didn't want to go see it due to not seeing the Hobit yet. I would say it was the better movie out of the two. My son wanted to see it and I tried to discourage him by saying it was a girlie movie that sings all the time, didn't change his mind.

The thing I think I like the most was it wasn't predictable. Some of the foreshadowing wasn't obvious. I think that what did it for me was one scene that had you second guess one of the characters true intentions. The main villian wasn't surprising since they left a lot of context clues, but it still takes you off guard.

If they format Maleficent the same way I can see it being a better movie since you won't go into it thinking the events will be the same as with sleeping beauty. I'm confident Jolie is not going to screw it up. I am just worried that the other cast will to be honest.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Hard to say. I'd actually be ok with her being a tragic hero if they do it right, along the lines of 'powerful woman helps save kingdom, betrayed by king who doesn't want competition from a powerful woman' sort of thing. But I'm really hoping they subvert the whole expected plotline and have her teaming up with Aurora to overthrow the patriarchy.
    While I completely buy that as a fair story in and of itself I personally hope they don't do that, I love maleficent for the pure vindictiveness and evil she drips.

I mean THIS

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwOGjpxjSDw[/url]

That is just the epitome of what a villain should be like, the character, the look, the voice (Holy **** thats an awesome voice) and the Music. she's like a female darth vader....pure embodied fear.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

That's fair enough, I know there are a lot of people who have a problem with her being 'vindicated', like women can't be villains which is a valid concern. But personally I bring it back to the whole notion that she evil because she is a witch and witches are considered evil because historically they were considered a threat to male control over knowledge and particularly medicine. Regardless of how the story goes I just hope they keep her as a strong, terrifying character and just give her more depth.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

That's fair enough, I know there are a lot of people who have a problem with her being 'vindicated', like women can't be villains which is a valid concern. But personally I bring it back to the whole notion that she evil because she is a witch and witches are considered evil because historically they were considered a threat to male control over knowledge and particularly medicine. Regardless of how the story goes I just hope they keep her as a strong, terrifying character and just give her more depth.
    I'd make the counterpoint that historically "witch" as a label could be equally applied to men as women, albeit less often, and I DO understand the whole malleus maleficarum nastiness was aimed at women. Also its a fantasy stereotype that almost ANY "magic" user is persecuted, regardless of gender.

But I guess you could consider me a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to characters themselves, I tend to take the view that if a character was originally written a certain way (sherlock holmes, Maleficent, whoever) then changing that characters role and "background" merely for the sake of our current values, does the story a bit of a disservice. or to put it another way, I tend to dislike wiggish renditions of older stories.

Of Course some of my favourite modern fiction is the stuff that completely turns those sterotypes on their head. ie: the trials of blood and steal are a FANTASTIC set of books with a female protagonist, who kicks as takes names and within the first two chapters challenges and guts some prick to a duel with ease.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

She's a wingless black fairy? ??

Anyway warlocks are male witches.

I don't know how I feel with the making her misunderstood. I have yet to see Wicked, but it does give you a better understanding of the character. Today it seems that they want characters to be in the grey where different development makes them semi good or semi evil.

I think the anti hero have been heavily played out in the last 10-20 years or so. The next logical step would be the misunderstood villain.

Backstory can be good or bad. Like in the case of Wolverine it was best to leave his past a mystery, also the way he remember was garbage. Oh the house of M garbage went on and as a side effect lets give Wolverine his memory back out the blue..

On the other hand I think like in the new Oz movie, another misunderstood villain it worked out. Since the misunderstood villian thing seems to be working like Magneto, wicked witch, and ice queen. Why not do the same with Malevolent.

Just recently they did a movie to bring back interest in Mary Poppins with Mr. BANKS, I haven't seen it yet, but it reminds adults about the older Disney movies and get kids today to watch the older Disney movies. You mention sleeping beauty or Mary.Poppins to teenagers they don't know what you are talking about, I used to run surveys and I can say a decent amount of them don't know those movies.

To be honest I forgotten who Aurora was. I still think sleeping beauty was one of the best animated Disney movies out there. It had your basic elements and didn't really hold back.

I mean besides sleeping beauty getting rapped by the prince and going hey I might as well marry you. Also the way the spell was broken was via baby sucking on her fingers and not my the prince that rapped her.

New trailer:
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

May we burn her?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Absolutely not.

Brother-Captain

It's clear from Sleeping Beauty she's really into fire and thorns.

Chapter-Master

Hard to say. I'd actually be ok with her being a tragic hero if they do it right, along the lines of 'powerful woman helps save kingdom, betrayed by king who doesn't want competition from a powerful woman' sort of thing. But I'm really hoping they subvert the whole expected plotline and have her teaming up with Aurora to overthrow the patriarchy.
    So spot on the money with the female heroes bussiness Eldargal

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-XO4XiRop0[/url]

Looking brilliant

I guess my only quibble is that, wasn't it the last fairies gift that changed the spell from death to sleep?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast