BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default I entered my Ultramarines in a Painting Contest

My local GW store (which isn't too very local) had a painting contest this past Saturday. I decided to enter several units from the Ultramarines army I have been working on for a year now. The pictures can be seen on the store's Facebook page. [url]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.615934308459004.1073741828.178158548903251& type=1[/url]

The pictures were taken with a camera phone, so not the best quality.

I love everything except the head on that captain, it looks so out of place.

But your edge work is really solid and the freehand banner is fantastic. I hope my Standard of Devastation looks that good when it's done.

Any recommendations on the captain? That's the head the model came with. I know it looks kind of young/ungrizzled for a Astartes Captain, but I tried greying the temples and a few strands of hair to make him look older. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out well for the camera. I wish it had come with the crested helmet as an optional piece for the head swap.

The only thing I recommend at this point is a head swap. This is purely my preference, if you can swing it, the new Sternguard set has a great looking head:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m3430390a_99120101104_SMPlasticSternguard03_873x627.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	5462

A good looking, stern, bearded head suitable for the grimdark of the 41st Millenium. Otherwise, rummage around your bitz box and see if you can find a suitable replacement bare head. You don't want another helmet on there, because he'll be holding a helmet while wearing a helmet. That'd just be weird.

Again, no offence to your painting, because you clearly have skill, but man, that guy's head looks goofy.

I don't think there's much I can do then as both pieces (head and torso) are Forge World resin, and I'm not sure of anyway to break a GW superglue bond between them.