BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default A Rule You Would Change

What one rule would you change and why? I'm thinking of the core ruleset, but if something really bothers you about a rule in a Codex, you can list that too. This topic comes up every now and again, but now that we're a bit deeper into 6th Edition (and now that we've seen a good number of 6th Edition codices), it seems more relevant.

There are a few things that are annoying about 6th, but my single change is:

If a unit is falling back or pinned, it cannot fire overwatch. This is a pretty simple change, but it makes the penalty for being pinned or falling back a bit more severe. Plus, it adds an interesting tactical element of trying to pin or break units in preparation for a charge.

What else is out there that you would change?

Banned

Get away from trying to create a cinematic experience. This leads to misformed language that can lead to disputes as opposed to a fun game.

I wish hull points were different. I wish some vehicles had more. Idk tanks dont feel like tanks anymore. Or give tanks an tank save. Light armor vehicles have a 5+. Heavy tanks have a 4+. Idk just its sad seeing a land raider this super heavy tank that has more armor then titans get glanced to death turn one. Like i agree on dark eldar wet paper bag skimmers with their 3 hp. But your telling me that has the same durability as a dreadnought? I just think armor should feel like armor. Or have vehicles have different versions of weapons, im looking at you predators >.> like predator autocannon would be s8 or is not s8 an extra shot. Because the size difference in the round in the cannon vs the havoc sized one.
    Purge the Weak!

Assaulting the vehicles...5th ed was SO much better in this. Stationary should be auto hits, normal movement 4+ to hit, turbo-boost/flat out 5+...
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Veteran-Sergeant

assaulting from all vehicles should be permitted , open topped as normal, enclosed vehicles (rhinos and such) should be treated as assaulting through difficult terrain movement wise.

Chapter-Master

Challenges and Look out Sir are both terrible ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vangrail View Post
    I wish hull points were different. I wish some vehicles had more. Idk tanks dont feel like tanks anymore. Or give tanks an tank save. Light armor vehicles have a 5+. Heavy tanks have a 4+. Idk just its sad seeing a land raider this super heavy tank that has more armor then titans get glanced to death turn one. Like i agree on dark eldar wet paper bag skimmers with their 3 hp. But your telling me that has the same durability as a dreadnought? I just think armor should feel like armor. Or have vehicles have different versions of weapons, im looking at you predators >.> like predator autocannon would be s8 or is not s8 an extra shot. Because the size difference in the round in the cannon vs the havoc sized one.
    Hull points was the single best thing 6th did to improve over 5th. Not scoring in transports is probably second best. I wouldnt be opposed to removing the explodes result from the damage table altogether, though.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

I would like to see 3D Blast Templates, and their ability to hit flyers. Explosions don't always operate in a 2d plane, and if aircraft are within 12 inches of the ground, a blast template should easily be able to affect them, especially with the more powerful ones causing turbulence issues from their explosions.

Edit: it would also be a way to introduce partial hits, and/or strength modifiers.
    Last edited by Mr.Pickelz; 10-29-2013 at 12:42 PM.

True Line of Sight and the new method of assigning wounds. I know some people like them, but they were the main reasons behind me giving up playing 40k

Quote Originally Posted by Badtucker View Post
    assaulting from all vehicles should be permitted , open topped as normal, enclosed vehicles (rhinos and such) should be treated as assaulting through difficult terrain movement wise.
    Gotta strongly disagree here. Although things are different enough to avoid the perfect storm of Rhino Rushing we had in 3rd Edition (lack of hull points, smoke launchers causing auto-glance, generally weaker shooting), assault through difficult terrain out of vehicles is not an idea I'm a huge fan of.

This may be a lingering effect of my Rhino Rush PTSD (millions of Black Templar jumping out of speeding Rhinos and overrunning your gunline on turn 2 or 3), but I think assault out of moving, armored vehicles makes things a little too easy for assault armies, even with overwatch in place. I think assault is somewhat underpowered at the moment and would be up for bringing back assault from stationary vehicles, but I think that assault from moving vehicles overdoes it.

Rule I would throw out: Challenges. Most utter BS rule in the entire game, and (IMHO) only introduced in order to bring 40K and Fantasy closer together.

Rule I would amend: Look Out Sir. I would change it so that a given model may claim a Look Out Sir roll once per turn, period. After all, supposedly all the incoming rounds are coming at the same instant, right? The way it is right now, I picture either an entire group of Chaos Marines acting like a bunch of ballerinas dancing Swan Lake - with the music playing in the background - each of them throwing themselves in front of the Captain in turn, or an Ork breakdancing in front of the Warboss.

Alternatively, for every successful Look Out Sir roll, the specific model getting in the way must be indicated, AND must take a wound with no save of any kind permitted - not even FNP. The boss would quickly run out of meatshields, and that might restore some semblance of sanity there. As it stands it is the most abused rule in the game, bar none.

Rule I would add: Saves for vehicles vs glancing hits, probably a flat 4+ or 5+. The vehicle still suffers the bad effect of the glance (crew shaken, etc) but if saved, no hull point loss. Cannot take a cover save AND the glance save - one or the other, IAW established rule concerning multiple saves.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast