BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Kroxigors: Troll eBay for Metals, or go Finecast?

I've decided to add some Kroxigors to my collection.

The question is, should I just spend $52 to buy a trio from GW (via my FLGS, so no shipping) or should I try to get them used and metal for $12 - $13 each (plus shipping)?

The former option: a little more expensive, but not too stupid, actually.

The latter: a little less expensive, but I have to do a bunch of legwork (finding deals, making offers, blah blah blah blah blah).

Additionally, there's the matter of the finecast. Can anyone tell me how the finecast Krox are? Were sculpts updated (I can't really tell, because all the metal Krox on eBay are poorly photographed or disassembled)? How is the quality on most of the casts? I've had pretty bad experiences with finecast, in general, but if someone posts to say "the finecast Krox have better poses and don't have bubbles," I'd consider it.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

The Krox are the same as the old metal ones. From my experience, new stuff created for Finecast seems to cast well. Old metals that are converted to Finecast normally have more problems. Customer Service swears to me that the problems have been fixed, and that any problems are just old stock sitting around, but then they can't give a manufacturing date to go with the batch code (or won't because it invalidates their excuse). Not sure either way is really better, if you want to use them right away and there isn't metal readily available on eBay when you want them, go Finecast.

Scout

I personally dont mind the fine cast got my girlfriend 2 for xmas so far.

Chapter-Master

Since the sculpt wasn't improved with the finecast version, I went with metal from eBay. I know that finecast has improved, but it just isn't worth the risk. Since I'm not planning on doing any conversion on the Krox, the weaknesses of metal don't really apply. Additionally, I was able to save about $10 off the finecast price for a trio of Kroxigors.

They should be at my apartment by Thursday...
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com