BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default scout squad with a storm unit idea :)

now that the storm is where it belongs and can be taken as a dedicated transport it opens up a nice little option that i have been wanting to try for a while. Take a min sized squad 5 scouts give 4 of them shotguns or take a heavy bolter as well and give the sarge a combi flamer. this should make a nice cheap and points effective harassment unit. the scouts on their own will not win you games but when you combine the squads firepower with that of the storm you have a nice cheap unit that has decent mobility can score and can harass lightly armored troops as well as clear those pesky infiltrator units. The unit would be good at coming to grips with smaller units as well as tackling some larger units if you needed to pin them down in place for a turn. being able to get off up to 8 shot gun shots plus the flamer template should cause some damage to most units.

Now im not saying use them to hunt terminators or power armored units but if you use them in conjunction with other units say drop podding tactical's or sternguard or even iron clads. This should provide a decent amount of threats in your opponents face early on. For me i know i like the idea of having a smaller easy to hide less of a threatening unit that can harass and disrupt enemy lines from turn 1. I like that if your opponent takes the time and units to eliminate your unit that his guns are firing on a unit of 5 scouts and a land speeder instead of targetting other units wether their sternguard or terminators.

Personally, I feel that the main advantage of the Storm is that it's an Assault Vehicle, and Scouts are plenty good enough to beat up on cheap backfield objective holders such as Cultists, IG Veterans, Fire Warriors, etc. With their charge and a Heavy Flamer on the Storm, they should be able to clear an objective of enemy troops and then hold the objective themselves. That makes them more threatening to the opponent's plans than the relatively small amount of damage that they actually put out.

Librarian

I know i personally look at taking 1-2 of them most likely 2 they would not be a very heavy points investment and honestly the fact that they would be scoring can assault from their transport and the transport can be equipped to deal with most opponents there is a very large return on such a small investment. I know that alot of their effectiveness will come down to what is in the list. They are not there to own most units but they are their to do damage to squads of a similar size or to threaten larger squads. take those chaos lists who take min cultists sm scouts will shred through them eliminating their troops. those pesky tau hiding in the back field you can burnenate them and blast them with buchshot to your hearts content