BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 182 of 276 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2758
    Chapter-Master

The likes of 6/7 have always been referred to as JRPGs for as long as I can remember. It's only the modern ones that have gone down the diablo esque route isn't it?

Dragonage as I said is a dumbed down for consoles RPG

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

It's not at all dumbed down though, if anything there is more of a focus on actual roleplaying than most popular classic RPGs. There is certainly far more choices and opportunities for shaping your characters development than any Baldurs Gate game, except in a purely mechanical stats and abilities sense.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

The story maybe not, the gameplay certainly is.

Your BG character is fully yours to evolve, no pre scripted cutscenes or other BS it's all down to what you do with it.
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 03-24-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Well I wouldn't say it is dumbed down, DAO had as much depth as most RPGs of its generation, DA2 focused perhaps too much on roleplay and not enough on gameplay with its simplified more action-y gameplay but DAI has got a good balance. I've always believed that a RPG is defined more by its ability to facilitate roleplay, immersion and charcter development than by raw gameplay mechanics.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    The story maybe not, the gameplay certainly is.

Your BG character is fully yours to evolve, no pre scripted cutscenes or other BS it's all down to what you do with it.
    There were cutscenes in BG, in exactly the same way as in DA:O, I don't know what you're basing your assumptions on, but you're totally wrong about Origins. 2 was tighter in its focus but this allowed it to tell a different type of story, you still to to role play how your Hawke got the job done and interacted with the city and its inhabitants

Chapter-Master

Not really. there were a few story setting ones nowhere near the DA ones.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair you could argue that was down to the tech of the day though.

First-Captain

Depends what you mean by cutscenes, DA:Os cutscenes were almost all part of the conversation system or were triggered by your choices within a conversation, not many where you had nothing to do but watch what happened, its just a prettier version of BG conversations

First-Captain

I was pretty unimpressed with Origins somehow, especially the story - felt extremely generic and predictable to me... and most of the party were either bland or annoying as well...
    2 I've skipped so far, dunno if that'll change
    Inquisition was totes amazing though - except from the rather bad console port, especially with the crummy interface it had on PC. Rest of it, be it gameplay, world, characters or story, are just plain great imho
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

The story of Origins was fairly generic, but it made up for it by excellent characters and world building and the way it propelled you through the story. DA2 had a much better story, and it was more unusual in that you completely fail to stop the poop hitting the fan, which I think is something a lot of people didn't like because they are used to sweeping in as the Heroic Protagonist and forcing everyone to do what they want.

[URL="http://www.allthatsepic.com/cosplay/nigris-death-knight-cosplay-is-darkness-divine/"]Jessica Nigri as a WoW Death Knight[/URL]