BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Got back into 40K in 2007, because of several reasons:
    1. I hadn't realised how much I missed the smell of poly cement. No word of a lie.
    Amen to that. Nothing brings back my early days nostalgia like that smell.

The reason I came back was surplus cash from a new job. Well, the thing that actually kick-started it was my in-laws hearing me talk about when I used to collect and play way back when, then buying me a £20 GW for my birthday a few weeks later. 3 years down the line and hundreds of pounds later I find myself still going strong with no signs of slowing.

First-Captain

Playing at different stores really help me stay interested. I play at about 7 different stores which really helps to keep the game fresh and less boring.

I got out of it over money issues. I needed money and figured I had armies people wanted to buy from me. That, and a diminishing interest to play and paint. That was around early 2009.

Then in 2012, I got back into it to get something to do with my time. I had some money I could burn monthly and that's how I got back into it. For some reason I think that still having paints from a few years back and the fact that I had a miniature around which I painted late 2011, just to kill some time, were factors though.

Still, I don't have a lot of drive to play games. I prefer painting over playing; I just put it into more perspective now I guess. I'm buying less and thinking over what I want a bit more now. That, and the fact that I'm also looking into other games. And I might mention the fact that a friend of mine got into the hobby through me in 2012, which is rather convenient if I want to play a game here or there. Even more convenient he lives around the block. Those are some factors that played a part into getting into it and staying into it with some interest. Slowly, I'm losing interest in GW products in general, but the painting and gaming aspect sticks around though. Luckily there's a few good alternatives, heh.
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    [*]I hadn't realised how much I missed the smell of poly cement. No word of a lie.[/LIST]
    Man I don't miss the smell of that stuff! Humbrol/Airfix glue had a real kick back in the day and I had the smallest room in the house for my hobby stuff, leaving an 8 year old alone with glue and craft knife was perfectly acceptable in the eighties, even if they did look a bit pale and had pin prick eye's when they were called down for dinner. The headaches and the thirst were the worst part.

For me personally it was the Rogue trader RP book that got me to start doing the hobby again... that and the lust for battle fleet gothic ships that aren't way over priced

I quit in the mid 90s purely because the people I gamed with (my older brother and a few friends in his school year) all went off to university and I didn't know any other gamers in my area. I never was much of a gamer to begin with -- my brother was a committed powergamer and would manipulate his army lists for maximum asshattery, whereas I was much more interested in painting and modelling and would be more inclined to field lists with my most attractive models.

About eight or so years later, my better half and I were visiting my folks where she saw some of my old models. She thought they were cool and that it was awesome that I used to paint such tiny things, and persuaded me to paint again. Since then I've still not played any games, but I've painted a whole bunch of Orks and a handful of other things. I have no idea if I've even got enough of anything to field an army -- I just pick out the things that look fun to paint.

Veteran-Sergeant

Going back to my early early teens, or even just before I found a game called Heroquest, that literally blew my noodle. I spent many hours with family playing that game to death, I painted the miniatures up, not brilliantly but hey a dab of colour was better than drab plastic and who cares if the barbarian was orange, it was the closest colour I had to skin tone (yes, yes I realise one could always have mixed some colours up to create different shades). I progressed onto a box of Marines, the one with the Crimson Fists on the front and picked up a few additionally kits as I went and wound up getting 2nd edition as a Christmas gift. Back in those halcyon days I pretty much only painted them up, nobody I knew was interested in actually playing games and so over the course of my life I collected and painted. Right up to about halfway through The Lord of the Rings releases and then suddenly just stopped, cold turkey. Cold turkey with boxes on boxes of painted, unpainted, assembled and un assembled models.

A colleague/ friend kept trying to swing me round to actually playing 40k towards the end of my collecting and painting to which I always politely declined. A few years later whilst at said friends house chatting I saw a beautifully painted Tyranid on a shelf and for reasons unknown caved in and agreed to give it a go. That was about 3yrs ago and I have never looked back. I get to game pretty much every week or so, the painting is back, and yes I blend colours and shade my models and have started a number of armies and haemorrhaged a pile of money to the hobby and I couldn't be happier about it...
    http://eldar-40k.blogspot.co.uk/

My son starting to play a few years ago.

I started wargaming and rpgs back in the late 70's aged 11 and played a variety of systems right through university. Then I started work, got married had a family and drifted off. When my son got into 40K I started helping him, first with painting, then terrain, then I found myself with an Eldar army.

Never left :P
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

Chaplain

I started back in 1993 shortly after 2nd edition came out. I was a MtG player... One day I walked into my LGS and saw the 2nd edition box set and was blown away, so I jumped in head first.

Once 3rd edition came out all of the regular players disapproved of the rules and had all decided to move onto to other games. I think I played maybe two or three games of 3rd before the player pool dried up completely. I had moved onto other games myself, primarily Legend of the Five Rings.

I don't think I ever really stopped gaming, but my interests had certainly gotten focused on many other things over the years... Girls, Cars, Girls, Partying, Girls, Cars... You get the idea.

So I ended up meeting the proverbial "one" and settled down. And one day in early 2008, completely out of the blue I got nostalgic about 40K. I'm not even sure what triggered it, but I then started looking online to see what was what with 40K.

I found that a new edition was on its way, 5th edition, and started reading up on it. One site / picture lead to another and I had stumbled into a thriving, global 40K community that never existed when I first started playing (internet wasn't widely available back in 1993). I was caught (again) hook, line and sinker.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast