BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-GW Vehicles

Chaplain

Default Non-GW Vehicles

Every Ork Player comes up with his/her own creation(s) for Ork Vehicles. Many of them are great! And I believe that G.W. should loosen their tight grip allowing Ork Players to use their artistic license.

But what if this becomes abuse?

Let's say an Ork Player creates a HUGE Battlewagon and puts a MekBoy with Kustom Force Field in it? The vehicle is SO BIG that the Kustom Force Field's 6" Range can cover his/her entire army!?

And then, another Ork Vehicle is SO SMALL that line-of-sight is nearly impossible to draw to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery.Shadow View Post
    Every Ork Player comes up with his/her own creation(s) for Ork Vehicles. Many of them are great! And I believe that G.W. should loosen their tight grip allowing Ork Players to use their artistic license.

But what if this becomes abuse?

Let's say an Ork Player creates a HUGE Battlewagon and puts a MekBoy with Kustom Force Field in it? The vehicle is SO BIG that the Kustom Force Field's 6" Range can cover his/her entire army!?

And then, another Ork Vehicle is SO SMALL that line-of-sight is nearly impossible to draw to it.
    a guy had one at our local tournament that wouldn't fit into his DZ lengthwise. Of course, he decided it was in the spirit of the rules to allow it to hang 6 inches over the DZ edge and tank shock on the first turn.

Brother-Captain

It's pretty easy to limit it to models roughly the same size and shape. Even 100% GW conversions should stay roughly the same size and shape for gameplay.

It's my understanding that the conversion in question must (in the "spirit of the rules") fit easily within roughly the same measurements/footprint of the model that it is trying to portray.

So, it must be reasonably sized (close to the original model that is converted or the model that the conversion is to represent) and no using other pieces that overhang and then trying to count that piece as the hull or body of the vehicle.

Librarian

That's pretty much the spirit of "counts as" or conversion work in general. As long as it's roughly the right size, shape and carries the spirit of the original then it should be ok.
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery.Shadow View Post
    And I believe that G.W. should loosen their tight grip allowing Ork Players to use their artistic license.
    Wha...????

What tight grip are you talking about?

You do know that 40k is a modeling hobby right? Where on Earth does GW tell you to only use their models when playing 40k? You must be a newer generation of gamer, probably post 3rd edition.

You should see my Squiggoth. Its a TMNT Dinosaur with plasticard platform on its back.

Or, you should go to the Indy Necronomicon, a 3 day event like any other GT, which is supported by GW. It actualyl was part of the GT scene for one year I believe. You can bring whatever models you want from any toy line as long as its not confusing to your opponents.

So yes, even at a large convention for 40k where GW comes and gives massive massive massive prize support, you can bring your converted Mageknight 'space wolves' and compete.

As far as abusing the game, well, if someone shows up with a vehicle that is clearly made to abuse the rules without a shadow of a doubt, um.... don't play that person?

If anyone showed up to play me with those examples you gave, I would not play them. Sometimes a friend of mine tries to pass an old school 2nd ed demon model, regular sized base, as his demon prince. Other players let him, but I tell him Hell No! You ain't using a marine seized model so you can hide behind tree trunks when your prince is supposed to be gigantic!
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Banned

I think he means that GW don't allow non-GW stuff in their stores.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post

You do know that 40k is a modeling hobby right? Where on Earth does GW tell you to only use their models when playing 40k? You must be a newer generation of gamer, probably post 3rd edition.
    Always nice to see a little bit of veteran elitism show its ugly head.

Chapter-Master

You should see the Stompa's and battlewagons one of our ork players uses. They're pretty cool, and probably no GW parts involved.

So long as they're the right size and shape (or close enough), and it is easy to tell what exactly they are, you can get aways with pretty much any conversion you want, with the possible exception of major GW sponsored tournaments.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

My friend has about 9 squiggoths, all converted from plastic toy dinosaurs with rhinos and a land raider stuck to their backs.
    Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast