BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Who

Chapter-Master

the only sort of baby worth considering
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Librarian

I think Colin baker hate is as much to do with the garish outfit he wore, and I can see why Tom baker was so popular and I feel Matt smith has some of the same qualities as Tom, I enjoy most of the doctors I've seen although ecclestone is average and I find David remnant isn't as good as Matt smith.

Chapter-Master

Christopher Ecclestone was wonderful
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

I agree, I loved Eccleston. Tough guy act masking incredible pain from the end of the Time War. Really sad he opted out of the 50th Anniversay special especially after he apparently reconciled with the New Who team.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    He's hilarious in The Five(ish Doctors Reboot. I can understand the dislike of some of the character traits he picked up earlier on, but I think disliking something and it being bad television are two different things. I thought it added some real depth to the character. I love Tom Baker too, actually I really like all the Doctors from 4 onwards with teh first three on a slightly lower tier though Hartnell is brilliant too, incredible mix of benign and malevolent but sometimes the mix goes a bit wrong and he comes off as a bit creepy, to me anyway. I loved Martha, intelligent, independent professional woman of colour who wasn't emotionally dependent on the Doctor? Fantastic. I thought she was the most equal of his companions in many ways. Captain Jack is lovely too.

I've noticed that too actually, a lot of older Who fans seem to be quite sensitive about the series new popularity and get quite cranky with people interpreting the classic series differently.
    I'm more into the 60's, 80's and id say the 90's era was my all time fave (read All Consuming Fire where there is dark gallifreyan mythology and references to Azathoth and great old ones and you will roll your eyes and be like "...no wonder he likes that")

I kinda think I will like Capaldi though as I prefer older, crankier and miserable doctors and he might be like that, at least the eyebrows win me over XD. I relate to them more too, being a bit of a Victor Meldrew myself :P

I really wanted to like 9 as I have a high opinion of Eccleston but the "fantastic" and "oh rose" stuff really killed it for me, I liked him when he got angry in "dalek" though, I think I would of liked him if there was more of that Withnail and I in it. Sadly he only decided to do the 1 season. Still, ill give props to the 9th doctor as that was a pretty original and fresh take on the character even if it did not click for me. I kinda hope he might do big finish stuff oneday as I might learn to like him through that like I did with the 8th doctor.

I agree, I loved Eccleston. Tough guy act masking incredible pain from the end of the Time War. Really sad he opted out of the 50th Anniversay special especially after he apparently reconciled with the New Who team.
    Agreed, Eccleston makes my top 5 favorite doctors. (Matt Smith, Tom Baker, David Tennant, Jon Pertwee, and Christopher Eccleston) Troughton is pretty close to making the list too.

I do agree that part of the issue with Colin Baker is the outfit. At the same time, his version of the doctor seemed very arrogant and driven entirely by ego at times. I'm also not a fan of the 5th Doctor as he was too... indecisive.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

It's very different to American scifi and to be honst the new series is a bit patchy, sometimes brilliant*, sometimes fairly poor. I really enjoyed the special though and the Five(ish) doctors webisode is brilliant** so on the whole a good 50th anniversary.

*Strax, Vastra, Jenny...

**Seriously, [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy"]watch it now[/URL]
    Okay, that was bloody brilliant and hilarious. Everyone should watch it now.

"Sylvester who?"
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Yup, so much humour and good natured poking fun. I loved John Barrowmans secret shame lol. I do love that the remaining Doctors not in the Day ofthe Doctors basically got their own show consisting of the actors poking fun at themselves and all the things, a fitting tribute really, rather than shoving them in the main episode for 20 seconds or something.

The top photo is Stuart Crouch at age 7 with Tom Baker, taken during the celebration for the 15th anniversary of Doctor Who in 1978, 35 years ago.

The bottom photo is Stuart’s 7-year old son this past weekend with Tom Baker at the 50th Anniversary celebration, exactly 35 years later.
    I don't know but this gets me right in the feels...
    Last edited by eldargal; 11-26-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Dr%20Who%20Scarf]I'll just leave this here then, I shall[/url]

Roll on the days when I've got money to spend once again!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Yup, so much humour and good natured poking fun. I loved John Barrowmans secret shame lol. I do love that the remaining Doctors not in the Day ofthe Doctors basically got their own show consisting of the actors poking fun at themselves and all the things, a fitting tribute really, rather than shoving them in the main episode for 20 seconds or something.
    Or were they in the main episode? Did they make it?

Mystery, I'm pretty sure you could get a relative to knit you one of those for Christmas at no cost at all (at least not to you).
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast