BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Loneliest 40k Outpost on Earth: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Howdy,

I've been a long time BoLs fan/member, but never posted before. My family and I are a little over half way through a two year assignment to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and I've got four 40k armies (Tau, Guard, Dark Angels, Orks) which comprise the sum total of miniatures in our community. At least, so far as I'm aware.

What makes Riyadh so unfriendly to 40k and gaming in general is the utter lack of game stores, complete unfamiliarity with the hobby, and local laws which tightly control art and outlaw anything deemed related to witchcraft.

As you can imagine, this does not present the most hospitable environment for Warhammer 40k or roleplaying games. The irony is that this would be the perfect place to operate a game industry. There are thousands of young men with lots of leisure time and disposable income, who aren't allowed to associate with women. Could you ask for a better customer base?

At any rate, those of us who wargame out here are few and far between. If any random soul in the Kingdom reads this and is looking for a match, please let me know.

Riyadh out.

Chapter-Master

Hello,
    come to the oubliette we have new tangents

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

Hello and welcome aboard!

After 5 posts you can get enhanced privileges so you can start to do sightly more!
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

hallo,
    just arrived in Riyadh. I am mainly into FoW (haven't played 40k in some years although I have SM and IG armies)
    would love to catch up

Thumbs up Eager warhammer gamer in Riyadh with 6 armies to mess around with

Quote Originally Posted by FSO View Post
    Howdy,

I've been a long time BoLs fan/member, but never posted before. My family and I are a little over half way through a two year assignment to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and I've got four 40k armies (Tau, Guard, Dark Angels, Orks) which comprise the sum total of miniatures in our community. At least, so far as I'm aware.

What makes Riyadh so unfriendly to 40k and gaming in general is the utter lack of game stores, complete unfamiliarity with the hobby, and local laws which tightly control art and outlaw anything deemed related to witchcraft.

As you can imagine, this does not present the most hospitable environment for Warhammer 40k or roleplaying games. The irony is that this would be the perfect place to operate a game industry. There are thousands of young men with lots of leisure time and disposable income, who aren't allowed to associate with women. Could you ask for a better customer base?

At any rate, those of us who wargame out here are few and far between. If any random soul in the Kingdom reads this and is looking for a match, please let me know.

Riyadh out.
    Hey there,

Here i thought *I* was the only warhammer enthusiast in Riyadh. I've been basically playing myself for the last 2+ years which gets old bit i love the game.

I don't know if you're still here, but if you are it would be really great to meet another warlord and in Riyadh, Terra of all places!!

Riyadh..... That's a little ways away....