BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default The Imperial Guard

Im curious. Having read different accounts of how the Imperial Guard conducts itself, either

A-Horde
    B-Trained, Professional Military Force

Which do people prefer for the Imperial Guard.

I must say I personally rather prefer a trained, military force, becouse its sorta like rooting for a little guy when they do their best to fight a bloodthirster or something.

I'm for this one

B-Trained, Professional Military Force

Although every worlds military would fight differently, I think option B is the better of the 2.

Veteran-Sergeant

Semi-trained Military Rabble in my opinion

At least on average, the fact that the Guard is such a massive entity, there will be different standards among the different regiments, for instance the Cadians are highly trained, and battle-hardened from constantly defending their borders, whereas planetary defence militia are often untrained or extremely poorly trained, but still part of the Imperial Guard as a whole, and then you get the other planets that aren't as advanced as places like Cadia and have rudimentary training for their regiments. Essentially, you can take your pick when you start your Guard army

My opinion of course
    +++The Imperator Contego Indomitable Fortress+++
    +++The 23rd Joint Assault Group+++

Scout

I'm pretty sure that varies through the different regiments. Some are A some are B. My Cadians are definitely B. But for example Valhallans strike me more as A. Both flavours can be fun, in my opinion, though I lean on to B.

Battle-Brother

B is what I prefer. Then again if you run a traitor guard/LatD army or a Penal legion I'd say A is awesome.
    Actually a massive penal legion army would be awesome-Conscripts everywhere, Arbites as squad leaders....Hm an idea is forming

Veteran-Sergeant

Do it!

Though I rather actually rather like the idea of a disciplined, trained, military force. That is loyal to chaos.

Brother-Sergeant

I kind of like the idea of the Munitorium using math to win wars.

"A heavy bolter can kill 20 guys at 100 yards, so we'll send 40 at it and win"

its way more grimdark and fits into the blundering behemoth of headless beurocracy image GW always paints of the Imperium
    The Astartes and the Inquisition are supposed to be the elite strike teams.

I guess I fall into the A category (and calls me out as an SM player)

Chaplain

Well, personally, I always felt that a mix of A and B was fun. Like, if anyone's read the Gaunt's Ghost novel Necropolis, how after months of siege warfare, some of the regiments, especially the PDFs, devolved for B somewhere into the neighborhood of A, and the more cut off and desperate they got, the more A they got. I always liked that idea for my Guard, a unit that HAD been very disicplined and well-supplied at one time, but months of constant warfare had forced to become more... flexible in both those respects.

Brother-Sergeant

Once I complete my Empire pirate army for fantasy, i will embark upon another A style guard army......SPACE PIRATES!

ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!(In Space!)

Veteran-Sergeant

I gotta say, a Space Pirate IG army is a cool concept

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast