BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Battle-Brother

It's a mix very much so even on the same planet (fighting not raised)

and why do people think bureaucrats direct battles *cough*deviluknow*cough*

Also the pdf is not a part of the guard

overall B is my favorite , the reason being the each planet raise it's own troops and if their not the best they can give, the govener is meant to be shot/killed in general
    Last edited by bob; 08-15-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    In cog we trust

Chaplain

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Magos;2365]Im curious. Having read different accounts of how the Imperial Guard conducts itself, either

A-Horde
    B-Trained, Professional Military Force

Really depends on which IG Army you think about.

Cadian: Very disciplined.
    Mordian Iron Guard: Extremely disciplined.
    Catachan: Pretty "Wild"
    Valhallans: Dogged, wont retreat.
    Steel Legion: Disciplined.
    Chem Dogs: Just a rabble!
    Tallarns: Gurrilla type force.

Anyway just my take. Iam sure others would have another view.
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

Couldn't it be both? Look at the Chinese Army. They are a horde but professional and well trained. I would say the type of IG would be the result of of the area where they live. Cadia produces hordes of well trained IG. I am sure many planets for for quantity rather then quality.

Brother-Sergeant

Well disciplined and devoted to Chaos? Yeah, that's the Blood Pact. Truthfully, even the Vraks renegades seem to be quite organized, beating the Death Korps at every turn, using tactical withdrawls, and many other nifty tricks to turn the war in their favor.

It's worth mentioning that how an army is trained and how disciplined they are etc doesn't nessicarily have any bearing on how they're going to be USED.

You could have super elite uber trained regiments, and the target is a giant bastion with no way to break it open, the result will still be the same, unless they have a particularly caring commander - send them in to the meat grinder en masse.

I would say nearly all IG regiments are trained to a certain standard as a military unit, along the lines of what we have in real life. It just so happens that tactical doctrine in the Imperium can be pretty retarded, and they always have that one thing in mind - the only abundant resource we have is manpower. It may be Sci-fi but there are alot of primitive, medieval sort of battlefields, as in sieges mostly, and never any respect for infrastructure or care for the condition of the field. Whereas we in real life tend towards elite covert op units and stuff since we value human life above all and our objectives are never on such a grand scale (and if they are, infantry are never involved), Imperial commanders just hammer to death anything in their way.

So who cares about using them to do a complicated array of manuevers and counter-strikes when we can just have them swarm the target to death? Remaining forces seems to always take a backseat to the most valued outcome, which is how fast a war can be ended. They generally don't care whos left at the end, only that it's finished as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by Forhekset; 08-16-2009 at 05:24 AM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceSpringsteen! View Post
    Once I complete my Empire pirate army for fantasy, i will embark upon another A style guard army......SPACE PIRATES!

ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!(In Space!)

HAHAHA love it, although after 5 years at Bournemouth University i can say that the official way to spell it is

JEAAARRGG!!!

anything else sounds like screaming

in reply to the thread, ive gone for a combination, the main force is a hard bitten downtrodden bunch of skilled cityfighters after a long grinding campaign. the discipline is supplied by the commissariat who have taken control of the army.

and the horde element is from the mass recruiting of conscripts to boost the numbers of the army.

the veterans are squads of men who during the campaign were cut off from the main forces, and simply fortified themselves in buildings and awaited the arrival of friendly troops
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Bournemouth has a University????????????? Damm.....
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Bournemouth has a University????????????? Damm.....
    hehe yes, its where us pirates go to learn about the seven seas, and we have workshops to make ornate wooden legs and cutlaces... too much?
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12