BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Painting Wash Issue

Having had a break from Blood Angels for a little bit, I have come back and using the new GW paints. But I am running into issue with one of the new Washes. Each time I use it, the following happens. (See image below) Like a white substance collects in the corner, but only visible once dried.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-15 12.31.26.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	5661Click image for larger version. 

ID:	5661

I then tried a Vallejo wash, same thing.

I am told I have to shake the washes a LOT... and the above image is after 3 minutes of shaking

What am I doing wrong? Is there a solution to this? I even tried putting it on neat.. hence the brush marks :/

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Skyphox

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Skyphox View Post
    Having had a break from Blood Angels for a little bit, I have come back and using the new GW paints. But I am running into issue with one of the new Washes. Each time I use it, the following happens. (See image below) Like a white substance collects in the corner, but only visible once dried.

Click image for larger version. 

ID:	5661Click image for larger version. 

ID:	5661

I then tried a Vallejo wash, same thing.

I am told I have to shake the washes a LOT... and the above image is after 3 minutes of shaking

What am I doing wrong? Is there a solution to this? I even tried putting it on neat.. hence the brush marks :/

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Skyphox
    You may be applying too much at once. The newer GW washes seem to not work as well as the older ones. If you over saturate an area, it dries in the way yours has. Almost the same as inks used to do, but this is more forgiving.

Iron Father

I admit I have never seen this before. A few questions, what colour wash are you using ? Also what was the temperature like. Colder than usual or warmer ?
    I could be wrong but are you using the wash all over your model, as a glaze ? If this is the case you could try using the badab black wash and paint into the recesses to get the effect your looking for.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 11-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Battle-Brother

That's unusual. Try using an old tooth brush to clean off some of that white stuff, it could be hard water from cleaning your brushes dries in the corners and leaves a white mineral residue.

House Cawdor is right, too much wash at once, you're saturating the area and thats not what you should do. On big things like this, you need to just use a little on the brush, then pull it toward where you need the shade to go, little models with a lot of details are fine with the wash thrown all over it but big, flat areas need a gentle approach

Chapter-Master

If this happened with 2 different manufacturers washes, I would be thinking it is what is underneath the paint layer. Did you wash the parts but not get all the soap off? Did you use something funny in an airbrush? I have never had this with a GW wash, neither had I heard that the new batch is worse than previous washes, nor seen any evidence of that.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Veteran-Sergeant
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

I get this problem a lot. I believe it is caused by a combination of to much applied and/or the wash drying too quickly. A fix I have found is to brush Lahmiam Medium over the area straight from the pot. This rehydrates the powdery white areas that didn't dry properly and allows them to re-set fixing the problem.
    Last edited by Night System; 11-18-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Night System View Post
    I get this problem a lot. I believe it is caused by a combination of to much applied and/or the wash drying too quickly. A fix I have found is to brush Larriman Medium over the area straight from the pot. This rehydrates the powdery white areas that didn't dry properly and allows them to re-set fixing the problem.
    Thank you all for the replies! I used to always use this technique with the old paints. Basically Blood Red covered with Baal Red wash, never had an issue. So you are probably right, I use it more as a glaze.

Usually put some wash on my palette, add water and then use a large brush to apply. Though I had this happen with some terminators too, but I stripped them thinking it was to do with the Army Painter red spray paint I had used.

I'm glad someone has had this issue, maybe I do just have to be more sparing with the application. So basically I need to use this Lahmian Medium and the white will just fade?

Veteran-Sergeant
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Pretty Much, it will fade in front of your eyes as you apply it. Sometimes it will return afterwards but it will be smaller and so a second coat should do it.

To be honest Lahmiam Medium is such an awesome product I would reccomend it to anyone who paints miniatures as it has a fair few good uses.

Thy will be done! Will purchase some now. Thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast