BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Eldar Shooty List (1986 points)

I had a bunch of 2nd ed. Eldar - including LOTS of Dark Reapers. I made this Dark Reaper-heavy list to test the limits of Eldar mid-range weaponry - tell me what you think (including what you think I've overlooked!)

HQ(2):
    Eldrad(205)
    Farseer (125)(Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing)

Elites(1):
    6 Howling Banshees: (90)
    +1 Howling Banshee Exarch: (40) (Executioner, Disarming Strike, Shield of Grace)

Troops(6):
    6 Dire Avengers(91)
    +1 Dire Avenger Exarch(30)(Diresword & shuriken pistol)
    +Wave Serpent Dedicated Transport(130)(TWL scatter laser, shuriken cannon)

6 Dire Avengers(91)

7 Rangers(84)

7 Rangers(84)

5 Windrider Jetbike Squad(95) (4Xtwin-linked shuriken catapult, 1Xshuriken cannon)

5 Windrider Jetbike Squad(95) (4Xtwin-linked shuriken catapult, 1Xshuriken cannon)

Heavy Support(3):
    4 Dark Reapers (182)(Reaper launcher w/starswarm, starshot missiles)
    + 1 Dark Reaper Exarch (40) (Eldar missile launcher w/ plasma, starshot and flakk missiles, Fast Shot)

+ 1 Dark Reaper Exarch (40) (Eldar missile launcher w/ plasma, starshot and flakk missiles, Fast Shot)

Total: 1986 points

Eldrad gives pre-game shenanigans with the Dark Reapers or whatever other unit you need to re-position.

Dark Reapers are your firebase - 48" range w/ 2 shots at S5 or 1 shot at s8, and the exarch has flakk and "precision shot."

Rangers squat on your-side objectives, Dire Avengers and Jetbikes are your maneuver elements to challenge for objectives on the other side of the board (with fire support from your Reaper infantry.) Howling Banshees are counter-charge defense to chase infiltrators or other aggressive units away from the Reapers.

2 powerful psykers take guide and doom effects standard and roll for addl. awesomeness - they are your "force multiplier."
    Last edited by Captain Bubonicus; 11-19-2013 at 03:35 PM.

I think list looks funs lots of fire power but very very lacking in reliable air defense, which is what i feel dark reapers are great at.

How?

Aegis Defense Lines. You are clearly playing at 2k pts so use double force org, drop the 2 units of rangers and get yourself 2 aegis defense lines with icarus lascannons

Your dark reaper exarch with fast shot will be able to pump 2 lascannon shots at enemy flyers with deadly accuracy

dark reaper exarchs are practically made to operate an icarus lascannon.
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts

Chaplain

I hear ya...anti-air is more important now than it ever has been before!

I think I've got reasonable anti-air covered, though - all three Reaper exarchs have the flakk upgrade (and "Fast Shot") so they're each popping off 2 BS5 S8 shots with "no jink" (bless you, Reaper rangefinder!), plus whatever re-rolls the two HQ psykers can bring to bear.

...plus, I don't have the groovy scenery (defense line and lascannon) to bring to the table!

*Edit*

Ah, you're right - the "split fire" power was Maugan Ra and not an exarch upgrade. That downgrades the exarch flakk abilities considerably. Still, they should be able to shoot down 3-4 aircraft over the course of a game.
    Last edited by Captain Bubonicus; 11-19-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Chaplain

Hmm...here's a thought:

Swap out the Howling Banshee unit (130 pts) for the following:

Elites(1)

5 Striking Scorpions (102)
    + 1 Striking Scorpion Exarch(40) (Scorpion's claw, crushing blow)

Good at hiding in cover, and can be deployed offensively as well when need be.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bubonicus View Post
    HQ(2):
    Eldrad(205)
    Farseer (125)(Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing)
    Buying the Runes is pretty pointless, they aren't worth it. Take the Spirit Stone of Anath'lan instead, in case you roll any Warp Charge 2 powers that you want to use.

Elites(1):
    6 Howling Banshees: (90)
    +1 Howling Banshee Exarch: (40) (Executioner, Disarming Strike, Shield of Grace)
    No need for Shield of Grace when Disarming Strike will let you use your 3+ armour save anyway.

Troops(6):
    6 Dire Avengers(91)

6 Dire Avengers(91)
    Exarchs with Shimmershields are good for squads on foot, but you aren't likely to make use of Diresword/Pistol, you're wanting to do more shooting. I don't bother with Exarchs at all in Wave Serpent mounted squads. At the very least count it as a Power Sword, the AP2 and Instant-Death rule probably aren't going to come up often enough for it to be worth paying the extra points.

Get Holo-Fields for the Wave Serpents.

7 Rangers(84)

7 Rangers(84)

Good, but try to get a sixth Bike with another Shuriken Cannon in each squad as soon as possible.

Heavy Support(3):

Flakk Missiles are just so bad in every codex. In this case they're even worse because they waste the rest of the squad.

Total: 1986 points
    Comments in red, hope they help.

You don't actually have any way of dealing with high AV, so you're going to need to buy some Lance/Melta/Distort weaponry.
    Last edited by Anggul; 11-21-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Chaplain

Good advice - thanks! I was hoping that the S8 shooting from the reapers would suffice for anti-vehicle work, but only glancing on 6s is no fun. Maybe I can sub 2 small squads of Guardian Defenders with a bright lance for the Rangers - I've already got plenty of anti-infantry firepower, so their sniper shooting won't be missed.