BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 338 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default The General Pooter Games Thread.

Realised we don't actually have one of these, and the conversations tend to get spread around the other threads.

So I thought 'meh, why not' and started this one. Hurrah!

Me, I'm a pretty casual gamer. Don't care for online, and will drop in and out of games to my hearts content. PS3 (soon enough, PS4) is my gaming platform of choice.

So....Force Unleashed. Tried the first one, found it a bit clunky at first, so threw in the towel and traded it in. As a Star Wars fan, can anyone confirm if it's worth me picking it up on the cheap again?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

From what little I played of it it's just another button basher like god of war etc....

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I likes those sorts of games. Main thing that honked me off about Force Unleashed was coming up against the AT-ST. The 'magic button' window was really short, and usually popped up whilst in the middle of a combo, causing Starkiller to be stepped on otherwise lightly mangled.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I intensely dislike both button bashing games, and quicktime events so I've never thought much of any of them

Alpha Legion Operative

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Realised we don't actually have one of these, and the conversations tend to get spread around the other threads.

So I thought 'meh, why not' and started this one. Hurrah!
    Huzzah!

I'm a PC gamer through and through, seriously gaming SP and MP since the 90's. I even played in competitive EU teams for MoH:AA and CoD1 in my youth!

Currently, I play a mucky mix of things, from BF3/4 and borderlands, past FTL & Trine, and through to Bloodbowl, DoW2, Talisman, and AoEII.

I'll play pretty much anything, but having previously dabbled in SWG, SWTOR, WoW, Rift et al, MMORPG's are out. Too much time sink and pressure to keep a raid organised, not enough pick up and play fun.

I do also own: 360, N64, Mega Drive, 'steam box HTPC', wii.

Some of my favourite ever games in no particular order and for a variety of reasons:

Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
    Super Mario 64
    Goldeneye
    MOH:AA
    Battlefield 2
    Sonic The Hedgehog
    Sega Rally Championship
    Sid Meier's Gettysburg
    Portal
    Mass Effect 2
    SWKOTOR 2
    Fallout 2
    Lemmings
    RTCW
    Duke3d
    Commander Keen

Chapter-Master

SW Unleashed - the first was a pretty fun if button bashy game. The second is dire.

As for favourite games....in no particular order

- Metroid Prime
    - Star War Knight of the Old Republic
    - Bioshock
    - OoT
    - Mass Effect 2
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Anything with stealth. (Tenchu, Hitman: Blood Money, Far Cry 3 (where guns are for animals and nothing else), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Splinter Cell are particular favourites)

Any Doom-style FPS (i.e. one with more than two guns and a stupid plot, preferably where I'm killing monsters, so Doom 1-3, Quake (all), Borderlands 1 and 2, etc... nothing where I'm limited to less than four guns, or a modern military shooter of any kind. Apart, bizarrely, from Tom Clancy games, of which Rainbow 6: Vegas 1 and 2 are two of the best games I've EVER played.)

Anything where morality is intelligently discussed (Spec Ops: The Line is about it so far, although Bioshock 1 comes close. Fails, but comes close. Mass Effect aspires, but also fails. The aspiration is welcome, though.)

Any Capcom beat-'em-up. No exceptions.

Anything interesting (Yume Nikki, Ilomilo, Katamari, etc...)
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

I'm probably more on the casual/old-school end - I don't enjoy spending long periods playing games, instead I prefer little 20-30 min sessions of something I can jump right into and get into without much complexities is perfect for me and good for breaks inbetween doing other stuff.

Quake (the original, hated the sequels)
    Total Annihilation
    Mortal Kombat (the old ones)
    Super Mario Bros 1-3/Lost levels(smb2j)
    Old PC games like Space Quest, Commander keen ect

I also enjoy some indie-games that are free to DL or play online such as Matt Thorson's Jumper series and other "masochistic" platformers. I really do love my 2D platformers.
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 11-20-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    From what little I played of it it's just another button basher like god of war etc....
    Force Unleashed is not even remotely similar to God of War, having played all/most offerings for both series'. That's before mentioning how God of War trumps Force Unleashed all around on quality. They might seem similar when you watch gameplay videos of them but actually holding a controller in your hands....no comparison. Similar to how some were hyping up Ryse as a God of War clone, sure it seems similar, but nope. Gameplay is nowhere near as deep or refined.

God of War games are only button mashers if you play on Easy. Any other difficulty, particularly the harder ones, and "button bashing" will get your back-side handed to you in the tutorial.

Sorry if that comes off as a bit rude, I'm not trying to be offensive Just, I've played through the three numbered God of War games at least four times each on varying difficulties, and have completed both 2 and 3 on Titan difficulty. I've also played both the first and second Force Unleashed games through at least twice each. To me, they are entirely distinct. The God of War games have a crap tonne of depth, Force Unleashed just doesn't offer that at all.

@Mr Mystery, the first Force Unleashed is a very decent pick-up. It isn't a bad game, just one that isn't as good as it could have been. Avoid Force Unleashed 2 though unless you can get it for a few pounds, I paid full RRP for it (in AUD mind) and was left with a disappointing at best 5 hour game. It is fun on its own, but it is so darn short and the story/voice acting aren't nearly as good as the original.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 11-20-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

they felt the same to me, but i've barely played either as I hate that style of game...

I started Catherine on hard the other day, that really is hard...

Page 1 of 338 1231151101 ... LastLast