BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 221 of 338 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 3377

Anyone here played 'Doorkickers'? I got it for a pound in the GOG summer sale, and it's really very good, but blisteringly hard.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

One problem with computers... Drivers and finicky hardware. My graphics card has been crashing the driver lately, possibly due to overheating, so I need to try to get more fans for it. Part of the problem is that the tower is quite open, lots of holes to vent. That leads to issues with dust as it is. But then my cats decided that hey, it's beside me, and it's warm, so a good place to sleep. But that prevents air being pushed out the top (also resulting in kitties being way too warm), and ends up with fur being dropped down into the computer as well. Just not an ideal scenario. I've taken to covering the top of the PC with darts to keep them off.

The video card doesn't have a problem with a lot of games. Civ V, no trouble. Fallout New Vegas, runs okay. But in World of Warcraft, it will crash multiple times when I'm in a dungeon, forcing me to end the process on the game and then reload it and log back in ASAP so I don't miss an important fight or get booted.

But the worst is NBA 2K15... I've been having a lot of fun with it, but I don't think I can run more than one game without letting the computer sit off for a while to cool down. I've been in a game, with the team leading by a good bit, my player's performing well, it's coming down to the closing minutes... and boom. Driver crashes, shuts down the game. Luckily the game auto-saves between pretty much everything it does (though sometimes things change, like my trash-talking session with Kevin Durant prior to a game changed to a more respectful tone, which is cool with me). But when you play the same matchup four times just to see the game crash as it's getting toward the end... it's brutal.

Also in soul-destroying moments... Had a match where the other team got up quite a bit, I think 16 points, and somehow the team I was playing for started playing good defense and scoring better, and it was in the closing seconds, I got the ball, ran down the court, boom! Put the team ahead by a point with 4.8 seconds to play. "YEAH! I WON THE GAME!" Ha. Other team had a timeout left, used it, got the ball, flung it to a guy at the other end, he went to get it in, and rather than make a good block, the guy on my team fouled him, letting him get two free throws, which he made, leading us to a one-point loss. After the game it showed a scene in the arena tunnel and the player who's basically my player's mentor walks up and says, "You look like someone stole your puppy." Yeah. Something like that. So elated I might have a heart attack all the way down to "I hate everything" in a moment.

Never thought I'd get that into a basketball game, but the presentation around the player career game style is pretty good.

In other news, playing New Vegas, I accidentally blew up a bunch of NCR, killed an NCR hit squad, pissed off my companion, and then got pardoned. (Helios One. Hey, you put a giant death laser in front of me, why would I NOT use it?)

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    just spent several minutes creeping up on an enemy apc. knifed a dude from behind on the way, was awesome. got right up close, threw my C4, and it phased out as I threw it and my C4 just landed on the ground...
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Anyone here played 'Doorkickers'? I got it for a pound in the GOG summer sale, and it's really very good, but blisteringly hard.
    I hadn't even heard of it, it looks a bit like a top down version of the original rainbow six.

@Erik, how old is your gpu? I was using a second hand card about five years ago that was crashing under load, and all it needed was the two capacitors on the pcb replacing (not the surface mounted ones).

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Sounds about right
    Using C4 does seem like a waste of time, only being able to carry one and it doesn't do much
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

One? I'm pretty sure last time I played I had two. That might be a platform difference.

Chapter-Master

I don't know why it would be.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

you had to cert into two slots on pc

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    @Erik, how old is your gpu? I was using a second hand card about five years ago that was crashing under load, and all it needed was the two capacitors on the pcb replacing (not the surface mounted ones).
    Maybe three years now? Can't recall exactly. It's a GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Not the newest or hottest thing, and I could probably get more performance by replacing it by now.

I think it was the heat issue. Last night, after leaving the computer off all day, I was able to get through four games in NBA before it crashed in the fifth one (also probably a good hint it was time to get ready for bed). At some point soon I need to either make a trek to a store or place in a quick-ship order for a fan or two and some canned air to really blow all the gunk out of the cracks and crevices. Clean it more, add some extra cooling, should be able to handle things better, until I decide on a new card.

Might start looking for a card in the $200-$250 range. I'll have a bit of extra cash in a couple of weeks, maybe I can keep myself from throwing it all at a local convention.

Chapter-Master

Put some fresh thermal paste on the heatsink?

Going to take a break from Arkham Knight for now. Hunting down the Riddler trophies is starting to feel a bit tedious.

So....onto Alien Isolation! And yes, I have just done my laundry, so many clean pairs of pants are available in case of the jumpies.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks