BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 169 of 338 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 3377
    Occuli Imperator

Finally succumbed to the steam sale and picked up democracy 3.

Voters are so irritating
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Finally succumbed to the steam sale and picked up democracy 3.

Voters are so irritating
    I picked that up at the same time as "South Park: The Stick of Truth," which seemed like a healthy dose of irony to me. Anyway, I tried the UK as a challenge, and promptly wanted to throw my hands up and give up. People are unhappy because of the insane taxes, but they want all kinds of freebies which can't be afforded without the huge taxes. Lower either, and you have a revolt. What the heck, voters? (Note that this isn't an actual commentary on the real UK.)

I need to fire it up again. I wonder if I can get assassinated...

Occuli Imperator

I've been sniped and exploded...

The capitalists don't like me for some reason.

I've had massive success 96% vote in Germany, but no such luck in the UK, or the USA.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    If it's xbox vs playstation, then rabid xbox fan because I vastly prefer the xbox's exclusives and I hate the playstation controller. But nintendo is cool too, and would be about ten times cooler if they stopped with the gimmicky systems and released an awesome new zelda game or something instead of mario tennis. But yeah, I remember when Learn2Eel was "reviewing" the xbox vs ps4 and basically decided that because the ps4 had a marginally better framerate, it was infinitely superior in every possible way. Seriously? If you want good graphics more than anything else, go PC. Otherwise, just pick the system that has the games you want to play and get over yourself.
    I still think the gamecube has the best controller. But it seems to have been swept under the rug that the wii runs generally runs at 1080 and 60fps but both the "superior" systems still don't always. *shrugs*
    yes when it comes to consoles I'm definitely a fan of Nintendo
    but mostly because if I have a nintendo and a PC I can play pretty much anything I want to.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

If it's xbox vs playstation, then rabid xbox fan because I vastly prefer the xbox's exclusives and I hate the playstation controller. But nintendo is cool too, and would be about ten times cooler if they stopped with the gimmicky systems and released an awesome new zelda game or something instead of mario tennis. But yeah, I remember when Learn2Eel was "reviewing" the xbox vs ps4 and basically decided that because the ps4 had a marginally better framerate, it was infinitely superior in every possible way. Seriously? If you want good graphics more than anything else, go PC. Otherwise, just pick the system that has the games you want to play and get over yourself.
    I take it you haven't been paying attention to the Wii U lately? 2014 may as well be the year of the Wii U, it is still lagging dangerously behind the PS4 and Xbox One in terms of sales but it has got it where it counts; games. Nintendo accomplished a miracle by pretty much turning around the fortunes of a previously doomed console entirely. Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Donkey Kong Country, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8....utterly phenomenal year. I also wouldn't call it "gimmicky", the gamepad is pretty darned awesome.

Also, eh? I was posting heavily at a time when people were still trying to determine which console they should pick up. You are heavily misquoting me, it's quite laughable really. I never said the PS4 was "infinitely superior in every possible way", I don't know how you extrapolated that from my comparisons that used established facts to support my arguments. Besides, at the time and onwards I have recommended the Xbox One to numerous people, so that point of yours is utterly moot. A lot of people were asking which was the most powerful console at the time, and the answer remains the PS4; now, how significant the raw performance gap is will only be determined later in the generation once developers are comfortable with both consoles (as was the case with the overly complex Cell architecture on the PS3).

As for "marginally better framerate", I don't think you quite understand what I was talking about. The primary game used for performance comparison between the two consoles back when they released was Call of Duty: Ghosts. While the assets and frame-rate were identical, the resolution was not; the PS4 version natively output at 1080p (1920x1080), while the Xbox One version output at 720p (1280x720). I don't need to be a computer tech expert to tell you that the former outputs over double the pixels of the other. That is not "marginal" in any way, that is a ridiculously huge gap - that the two both had a stable 60fps performance indicated (at the time) that there was a significant gap in terms of raw power between the two consoles. Since then, the gap has mostly closed thanks to Microsoft releasing what was essentially an over-clocking update for the Xbox One; the majority of games do still favour the PS4 in direct feed comparisons, but generally the differences are infinitesimal.

Regardless of the above, I find it quite humorous that you are labeling my opinion as determining a small advantage for one console and then screaming its overall praises. At the time of release, the PS4 was the cheaper and more powerful console; it's a no brainer which I would recommend to most people. However, for those who aren't as keen on getting the absolute best visuals (usually the difference is indeed tiny with recent releases) then the exclusives should sway them - which is what I've been telling people in my gaming group from day one. If Bloodborne or The Order: 1886 attract you more as opposed to Halo 5: Guardians and Scalebound, go for them and vice-versa. Whatever you might think, I was providing probably the fairest analysis of the two for everyone who has asked me; if you haven't guessed, I own both and am loving my time with them.

As for the PC comment, while that is mostly true, when I am asked to provide my opinion on which console to pick and the question of "which is the most powerful" comes up as it inevitably does - people want to make the most of their shiny new TV's after all - I'm going to be honest and I would expect nothing less of anyone else. There are some unbelievable visuals capable on consoles that the PC hasn't quite yet caught up to, most notable being The Order: 1886 and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. It is absolutely insane how good the former looks in particular; currently there's nothing that tops it for pure image quality and photo-realism on the PC, though there will of course be a successor in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    I still think the gamecube has the best controller. But it seems to have been swept under the rug that the wii runs generally runs at 1080 and 60fps but both the "superior" systems still don't always. *shrugs*
    yes when it comes to consoles I'm definitely a fan of Nintendo
    but mostly because if I have a nintendo and a PC I can play pretty much anything I want to.
    I only got to play around with a Gamecube a few times, unfortunately. Such a great console, almost everyone forgets it had more power under the hood than both the PS2 and Xbox. I couldn't say which is the best controller honestly, too many to really point a finger at.

Just an FYI, resolution and frame-rate are hardly the only indicators of how good a game looks. They tend to be the most important aspects of visual quality and performance, but (a crude example here) that is like saying Final Fantasy VI running at 1080p and 60fps (more like 300fps) means the hardware running it is more competitive than one that runs Crysis at 900p and 50fps. I know you probably understand this but the way your comment was worded seems to indicate you believe the Wii U has a technical advantage over the PS4 and Xbox One which, let's be perfectly honest, is about as wrong as could be.

This is an in-engine screenshot of The Order: 1886. The Wii U simply isn't capable of producing anything like this on a technical level. Before anyone says "that's not gameplay", the visuals you see in cut-scenes are identical to those found in gameplay; something that Ready at Dawn have specifically made a point of so that there is no visual disparity or compromise when viewing the world. Below is a gameplay screenshot of Ryse: Son of Rome;

Where resolution and frame-rate become most important when used for comparisons are in PC stress-tests and console multi-platform games, as the assets are usually identical (some aberrations such as the original Bayonetta are the exceptions). If you look at the exclusives, however, even if I had rose-coloured glassed for a Wii U (which I wish I owned) there's no way I could say it is capable of outputting visuals on a level equivalent to either of the PS4 or Xbox One.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 12-30-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

Still as rambling as ever, I see.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Still as rambling as ever, I see.
    How mature of you. It's not that difficult to apologize for misquoting me, but hey, I'm not fussed.

In other news, The Witcher II is available on Steam for $3. That's a crazy good holiday deal!
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Banned

Oh, Bioware.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    How mature of you. It's not that difficult to apologize for misquoting me, but hey, I'm not fussed.
    I used exaggerated rhetoric to mildly mock your writing style. If you didn't mean to communicate that you thought the ps4 was better than the xbox because of a neglible difference in graphics, your lengthy essays didn't communicate that very well. In general, you have a tendancy to use too many words to describe things that can be stated more simply.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.