BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 170 of 338 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 3377
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    There are some unbelievable visuals capable on consoles that the PC hasn't quite yet caught up to, most notable being The Order: 1886 and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. It is absolutely insane how good the former looks in particular; currently there's nothing that tops it for pure image quality and photo-realism on the PC, though there will of course be a successor in a few months.
    For graphical output if thats what we're after the consoles were already 12-18 months behind at launch.
    If they look any worse on PC its down to lazy porting. go compare PC skyrim and console skyrim, the first thing steam does is links you to the HD texture pack, and then theres all the fan made mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    Just an FYI, resolution and frame-rate are hardly the only indicators of how good a game looks. They tend to be the most important aspects of visual quality and performance, but (a crude example here) that is like saying Final Fantasy VI running at 1080p and 60fps (more like 300fps) means the hardware running it is more competitive than one that runs Crysis at 900p and 50fps. I know you probably understand this but the way your comment was worded seems to indicate you believe the Wii U has a technical advantage over the PS4 and Xbox One which, let's be perfectly honest, is about as wrong as could be.
    I do. I was just prodding the console gamers, plus I'm rather fond of the wii u even if I haven't got my own yet, and it does seem to have the better games.
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 01-01-2015 at 01:30 PM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I used exaggerated rhetoric to mildly mock your writing style. If you didn't mean to communicate that you thought the ps4 was better than the xbox because of a neglible difference in graphics, your lengthy essays didn't communicate that very well. In general, you have a tendancy to use too many words to describe things that can be stated more simply.
    Fair enough. My apologies, my cat is sick at the moment and I am a little jumpy; sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    For graphical output if thats what we're after the consoles were already 12-18 months behind at launch.
    If they look any worse on PC its down to lazy porting. go compare PC skyrim and console skyrim, the first thing steam does is links you to the HD texture pack, and then theres all the fan made mods.

I do. I was just prodding the console gamers, plus I'm rather fond of the wii u even if I haven't got my own yet, and it does seem to have the better games.
    It's obviously an issue that the new consoles can't pull off 1080p and 60fps consistently, however - as was the case with last-gen - developers often sacrifice resolution and frame-rate to push image quality and assets further. As all consoles and modern televisions natively upscale their displays to match the resolution of the TV, it's easy to notice a difference but many feel it is worth it to see visuals such as those introduced by The Last of Us and Ryse. This is why everyone on Neogaf is jumping up and down about The Order; it's technically a letter-box display but it still looks breath-taking in motion, so much so that many - myself included - think it easily beats out anything you can currently view on a PC short of perhaps a game like Metro: Last Light running at 4K resolution.

As far as games looking worse on PC, I wasn't referring to multi-platform games. The Order: 1886 and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End are PS4 exclusives and look better than anything you could get on any console or PC at the moment on a technical level. For the same reason that a PS3 with 256MB of RAM was able to produce stunning visuals with The Last of Us, you will see immensely impressive games on the two power-house consoles despite their actual raw hardware being equivalent to a high-end mid-tier PC; optimization. Consoles don't run Windows, and developers only have to develop for one set of hardware specifications, not an unlimited amount as is the case with PC's.

Comparing PC Skyrim and console Skyrim is kind of a moot point as console Skyrim was released on last-gen consoles, not current-gen consoles. Modded Skyrim with the HD texture pack looks gorgeous, but I - and many others - are still firmly in the camp that The Order in particular is the game to show off a shiny new screen or TV and will be for at least a few months.

I recommend getting a Wii U for sure, if someone asked me whether to get one at this time last year my answer would have been a flat "no" as pretty much everyone believed Nintendo were going to pull the plug in 2014 or 2015. I'm one of the many still in disbelief that they managed to turn it around! As for better games, that generally revolves around the exclusives when it comes to the Wii and Wii U as they don't get anywhere near the same amount of love with multi-platform games as the Xbox and PS do.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

Yes skyrim was last gen, but I disagree its just an example of the differences.

I'm not sure where this idea came from that nintendo were going to pull the plug on the Wii U, you're the third person I've found that had that impression.
    Is it just something these clickbaity "gaming" websites came up with on a slow news day?

Wii U is a nice little console. Perhaps not for hardcore gaming and graphics, but it's still a sexy wee thing in it's own right.

Granted so far I've only used mine to play SNES games (so good!), but I do have Hyrule Warriors and Mario to play.

Me, I'm not massively fussed for graphics. Probably because I started on the Speccy. As long as the game is fun, and doesn't have glitches, I'm happy!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

loading old cassette games was a game itself, a game of "will it load?"

And it's prequel - 'It's Still Not Done Yet', usually played just after dinner.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Yes skyrim was last gen, but I disagree its just an example of the differences.

I'm not sure where this idea came from that nintendo were going to pull the plug on the Wii U, you're the third person I've found that had that impression.
    Is it just something these clickbaity "gaming" websites came up with on a slow news day?
    My point is that I feel that currently there's nothing on PC that is more impressive than The Order: 1886 on a technical level. There obviously will be in a few months, but it speaks volumes about what developers are capable of when working on mid-tier preset hardware specifications.

The idea came about because the Wii U had a full year of sales to enjoy before the PS4 and Xbox One released, and yet the PS4 managed to surpass the Wii U's global sales in the space of 4 months. It took the PS4 4 months to surpass or at least equal what the Wii U managed in 16 months. I'm not as certain of where the Xbox One is in relation to the Wii U as Microsoft are being very quiet about their own sales figures, but it is widely accepted that the Wii U and Xbox One are at the very least neck-and-neck. From the perspective of a share-holder, the Wii U looked like a colossal failure. I'm surprised you haven't heard more people share that view a year ago as it was the widely accepted theory, and no, it wasn't just some flavour of the month article designed to stir the pot. When your two direct competitors blitz you in sales in the space of a few months despite you having a year's head-start in the market even though the previous iteration of your console was the highest selling of its generation by a significant margin (the Wii), it's standard to assume the product is dead in the water. It wasn't (and still isn't, albeit to a far lesser degree) helped by the fact that many third-party developers completely abandoned the console. This is why despite the Wii U not selling anywhere near as much as the PS4 and presumably the Xbox One as well in 2014, many gamers have labeled 2014 the "year of the Wii U" as Nintendo have done an unbelievable job of turning it around and restoring faith to their consumers.

As an aside, even though the PS4 is enjoying a huge total sales gap over both the Xbox One and Wii U, it is important to note that the Xbox One is actually selling more than the Xbox 360 did in the same amount of time. The Xbox 360 took 2 and a half years to reach the 10 million sales mark, whereas the Xbox One has already reached (rough estimate) 6-8 million sales in the space of 1 year.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 01-02-2015 at 10:53 PM.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

just played a little bit of Wasteland 2, made by the guy who did the original Fallout I believe. seems interesting, but then it crashed fairly quickly, and is meant to be played on a 64bit system. Currently playing Metro 2033 Redux on PS4 which is quite entertaining.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Occuli Imperator

I picked up Metro 2033 for free awhile ago.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I am really enjoying it. nobody does post apocalyptic despair like the eastern europeans...
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.