Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Pre-orders are up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	escalation-cover.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	5836
    [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod2330 053a"]Warhammer 40,000: Escalation[/URL] $49.50

Please note, this supplement is currently only available in English language.

Across the battlefields of the 41st Millenium, desperate commanders loose their greatest weapons of war. Classified “Lords of War” by the Imperium of Man, these vast and deadly assets bring a new level of destruction to the galaxy’s eternal war.

Warhammer 40,000: Escalation contains full rules for adding super-heavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures to every Warhammer 40,000 army. This means you can now use these massive models in games of Warhammer 40,000 as well as games of Apocalypse.

This 96-page, full colour, hardback supplement contains:

· A background section introducing Lords of War units and their terrifying impact on the battlefield.
    · All the rules needed to play with super-heavy vehicles (including Flyers and Walkers) and Gargantuan Creatures, as well as rules for their potent wargear.
    · An amended force organization chart that allows players to choose Lords of War units as part of their standard Warhammer 40,000 armies.
    · Datasheets for every plastic super-heavy Citadel miniature, plus a selection of super-heavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures from Forge World.
    · A showcase of expertly painted Lords of War Citadel miniatures.
    · New Altar of War and Gauntlet Challenge missions that can be played instead of the Eternal War missions in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

You will need a copy of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook and relevant codexes in order to use the contents of this book.
    via Father Gabe 12-5-2013
    Escalation book in hand.

- For Standard (what some refer to as
    "regular") Warhammer 40,000
    - Not Expansion (like Planetstrike, Cities
    of Death, etc)
    - Lord of War choice is optional (like Fortifications,
    Allies)
    - Lord of War Rules: If you use a Lord of War your
    opponent receives a +1 bonus to Seize the Initiative and for every 3 Hull Points
    or Wounds you cause on a Lord of War choice you gain +1 (like Slay the Warlord,
    First Blood, etc).
    - I won't go into details concerning the data
    sheets but don't expect Reavers, Mantas or Hierophants.
    - Str D weapons, AV 15 and all other Apocalypse based rules remain the
    same, but now crossover to Standard ("regular") Warhammer
    - No Imperial titans.
    Datasheets included:
    IG: Baneblade (all varieties)
    Ork: Stompa (all varieties)
    Chaos: Lord of Skulls
    Astartes: Thunderhawk
    Tyranid: Harridan
    Tau: Tigershark
    Eldar/Dark Eldar: Revenant
    Necrons: Tessseract Vault, Transcendant C'Tan, Obelisk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stronghold-assault-cover.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	5837
    [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod2330 037a"]Warhammer 40,000: Stronghold Assault[/URL] $33.00

Armoured bastions and towering bulwarks stand as imposing sentinels on almost every battleground in the 41st Millennium. To assault such fortifications is invariably to charge in the face of death, and only the most determined army has any hope of survival.

Warhammer 40,000: Stronghold Assault provides a plethora of background material and rules to turn any game of Warhammer 40,000 into full-blown siege warfare.

This 48-page, full colour, hardback supplement contains:

· New art, background, and timeline entries conveying the horror of siege warfare in the 41st Millennium.
    · 17 fortifications datasheets for the full range of Warhammer 40,000 scenery that can be used by any Warhammer 40,000 army.
    · Updated rules for buildings and fortifications for games of Warhammer 40,000.
    · Additional rules for weapons and battlefield debris.
    · Includes three new Siege War missions that can be played instead of the Eternal War missions in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

You will need a copy of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook and relevant codexes in order to use the contents of this book.
    via [URL="http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?383920-Upcoming-expansions&p=7000171&viewfull=1#post7000171"]Avatar_exADV[/URL] 12-5-2013
    Books both in hand.

The Aquila Strongpoint does mount strength D weapons, but is still exploded on a 2+ on the Strength D table. No special defenses against Strength D weapons, though at AV15 (!) and -1 on the damage table, it's rough to take down with just about anything else.

That said, there's also terrain which projects void fields, which each soak a destroyer hit...

Stronghold Assault book has rules for kits that haven't been released yet, even if it's just a couple of 'em. (void shields...)
    Last edited by Bigred; 12-05-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Would I be right in thinking that Escalation is an expansion like Planetstrike or Cities of Death, where it's an extra optional set of rules, while Stronghold Assault is like a Codex or Codex supplement where all the rules are available as standard? Or have I got all this totally the wrong way around?

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by FallenTalon View Post
    Would I be right in thinking that Escalation is an expansion like Planetstrike or Cities of Death, where it's an extra optional set of rules, while Stronghold Assault is like a Codex or Codex supplement where all the rules are available as standard? Or have I got all this totally the wrong way around?
    We can only hope.

Scout

Torn... i hope more codex/death from the skys... but realistically it sounds more like a planet strike.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenTalon View Post
    It actually sounds like it's the other way, since Escalation mentions additions to "standard" 40K games.

"An amended force organization chart that allows players to choose Lords of War units as part of their standard Warhammer 40,000 armies."

It sounds like they're trying harder to move all those large plastic models that they made for Apocalypse. Sure, I have a Stompa and I'm about to get a Lord of Skulls, but I don't necessarily want to pull them out in a basic 1500 point list to combat my opponent bringing a Baneblade. And with the Orks, that's practically what I'd have to do, since Orks don't have much to deal with armor, especially a super-heavy. (Sure, Dreads and Kans in an assault, but a reasonably smart opponent will blow them up before they get anywhere.)

i just hope my warhound titan is on the list as it doesnt get so see much action and i would love to bring it with my marines ...it gets killed so easy though...usually a pesky squad of firedragons or some nasty termies hammer it to death...but its fun to see it on the table. i think this expansion is gona be great for 40k...we will forge some 'ard narratives with it hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    It actually sounds like it's the other way, since Escalation mentions additions to "standard" 40K games.

"An amended force organization chart that allows players to choose Lords of War units as part of their standard Warhammer 40,000 armies."

It sounds like they're trying harder to move all those large plastic models that they made for Apocalypse. Sure, I have a Stompa and I'm about to get a Lord of Skulls, but I don't necessarily want to pull them out in a basic 1500 point list to combat my opponent bringing a Baneblade. And with the Orks, that's practically what I'd have to do, since Orks don't have much to deal with armor, especially a super-heavy. (Sure, Dreads and Kans in an assault, but a reasonably smart opponent will blow them up before they get anywhere.)
    If it is like the FW Lords of War, they can only be 25% of the points of your force, meaning larger games, but with the normal rules and not the Apoc rules.

Scout

Everyone's getting very frightened unnecessarily. Your chum asks if you can take a superheavy vehicle and you do, or you don't.

For example, if a Daemon player aims for a 2500 point battle to take a Lord of Skulls (leaving the maths aside) you could then take something vastly more effective to counter that model such as three vanquishers/Necron royal court/Dark Eldar/Tau Hammerheads/deepstriking thunderhammer terminators.

Every army has a unit that can counter super heavies. It's very simple. At that points level you just account for the possiblity.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles15 View Post
    Everyone's getting very frightened unnecessarily. Your chum asks if you can take a superheavy vehicle and you do, or you don't.

For example, if a Daemon player aims for a 2500 point battle to take a Lord of Skulls (leaving the maths aside) you could then take something vastly more effective to counter that model such as three vanquishers/Necron royal court/Dark Eldar/Tau Hammerheads/deepstriking thunderhammer terminators.

Every army has a unit that can counter super heavies. It's very simple. At that points level you just account for the possiblity.
    My problem becomes... in my group of friendly gamers we have that guy who thinks "It'll be cool to use SH in 2000 points or less" then he'll do it. So the game becomes "Did I kill your SH before you use it?" Check yes, you win. Check no, you lose. No thanks, I'd rather not play that at all.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by n00bzilla99 View Post
    My problem becomes... in my group of friendly gamers we have that guy who thinks "It'll be cool to use SH in 2000 points or less" then he'll do it. So the game becomes "Did I kill your SH before you use it?" Check yes, you win. Check no, you lose. No thanks, I'd rather not play that at all.
    It's a supplement, end of. Why are we even still talking about this?

Now I wonder though, what tier of superheavies will actually be legal. I'm guessing GW won't be like forgeworld and publish the contents page, but it sure would be useful.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast