BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Daemon-Prince

hehehehee FW Keeper of secrets at 2k sounds fun.
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Fly Lord

Pre-orders are up

Attachment 5836
    [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod2330 053a"]Warhammer 40,000: Escalation[/URL] $49.50

Please note, this supplement is currently only available in English language.

Across the battlefields of the 41st Millenium, desperate commanders loose their greatest weapons of war. Classified “Lords of War” by the Imperium of Man, these vast and deadly assets bring a new level of destruction to the galaxy’s eternal war.

Warhammer 40,000: Escalation contains full rules for adding super-heavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures to every Warhammer 40,000 army. This means you can now use these massive models in games of Warhammer 40,000 as well as games of Apocalypse.

This 96-page, full colour, hardback supplement contains:

· A background section introducing Lords of War units and their terrifying impact on the battlefield.
    · All the rules needed to play with super-heavy vehicles (including Flyers and Walkers) and Gargantuan Creatures, as well as rules for their potent wargear.
    · An amended force organization chart that allows players to choose Lords of War units as part of their standard Warhammer 40,000 armies.
    · Datasheets for every plastic super-heavy Citadel miniature, plus a selection of super-heavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures from Forge World.
    · A showcase of expertly painted Lords of War Citadel miniatures.
    · New Altar of War and Gauntlet Challenge missions that can be played instead of the Eternal War missions in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

You will need a copy of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook and relevant codexes in order to use the contents of this book.
    via Father Gabe 12-5-2013
    Escalation book in hand.

- For Standard (what some refer to as
    "regular") Warhammer 40,000
    - Not Expansion (like Planetstrike, Cities
    of Death, etc)
    - Lord of War choice is optional (like Fortifications,
    Allies)
    - Lord of War Rules: If you use a Lord of War your
    opponent receives a +1 bonus to Seize the Initiative and for every 3 Hull Points
    or Wounds you cause on a Lord of War choice you gain +1 (like Slay the Warlord,
    First Blood, etc).
    - I won't go into details concerning the data
    sheets but don't expect Reavers, Mantas or Hierophants.
    - Str D weapons, AV 15 and all other Apocalypse based rules remain the
    same, but now crossover to Standard ("regular") Warhammer
    - No Imperial titans.
    Datasheets included:
    IG: Baneblade (all varieties)
    Ork: Stompa (all varieties)
    Chaos: Lord of Skulls
    Astartes: Thunderhawk
    Tyranid: Harridan
    Tau: Tigershark
    Eldar/Dark Eldar: Revenant
    Necrons: Tessseract Vault, Transcendant C'Tan, Obelisk

Attachment 5837
    [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod2330 037a"]Warhammer 40,000: Stronghold Assault[/URL] $33.00

Armoured bastions and towering bulwarks stand as imposing sentinels on almost every battleground in the 41st Millennium. To assault such fortifications is invariably to charge in the face of death, and only the most determined army has any hope of survival.

Warhammer 40,000: Stronghold Assault provides a plethora of background material and rules to turn any game of Warhammer 40,000 into full-blown siege warfare.

This 48-page, full colour, hardback supplement contains:

· New art, background, and timeline entries conveying the horror of siege warfare in the 41st Millennium.
    · 17 fortifications datasheets for the full range of Warhammer 40,000 scenery that can be used by any Warhammer 40,000 army.
    · Updated rules for buildings and fortifications for games of Warhammer 40,000.
    · Additional rules for weapons and battlefield debris.
    · Includes three new Siege War missions that can be played instead of the Eternal War missions in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

You will need a copy of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook and relevant codexes in order to use the contents of this book.
    via [URL="http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?383920-Upcoming-expansions&p=7000171&viewfull=1#post7000171"]Avatar_exADV[/URL] 12-5-2013
    Books both in hand.

The Aquila Strongpoint does mount strength D weapons, but is still exploded on a 2+ on the Strength D table. No special defenses against Strength D weapons, though at AV15 (!) and -1 on the damage table, it's rough to take down with just about anything else.

That said, there's also terrain which projects void fields, which each soak a destroyer hit...

Stronghold Assault book has rules for kits that haven't been released yet, even if it's just a couple of 'em. (void shields...)
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Brother-Sergeant

So, ultimately, my question is this:

Is there any good reason to own a copy of Escalation if I already own a copy of Apocalypse? (and the tweak to FoC, bonus points for damaging Superheavies, and other rule changes that can easily be memorized do not constitute 'good reasons')

The answer is yes. You can now play regular games of 40k with FOC and all normal restrictions (as loose as they are becoming) and use supers etc.
    This as said above appears to be "official" too, not an expansion like planet strike or such. Its for players that dont like apoc but like the odd super hev or such like.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    The answer is yes. You can now play regular games of 40k with FOC and all normal restrictions (as loose as they are becoming) and use supers etc.
    This as said above appears to be "official" too, not an expansion like planet strike or such. Its for players that dont like apoc but like the odd super hev or such like.
    Right but what he's saying is that there's really no rules in the book that are unique enough to warrant purchasing the book.

I believe there are some new warlord tables, some modifications to reserve rolls and changes to scoring (all of which can be easily memorized) but mostly its "Apoc-lite 40k"

I think this is a supplement thats probably good to have a copy for the store or club and thats about it.

How much is the digital version? If its more than $20USD then I'll probably pass.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    And indeed those who want the big shiny dakka toys but who don't have the time or opportunity to regularly partake in Apocalypse.

For me, it's a rare pass. Though being a completist nerd, I'll likely pick it up eventually. Just in absolutely no rush.

Strongholds however...that appeals to me!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yeah i suppose it really comes down to wether your oppo wants all your rules handy for his perusal.
    I which case it saves lugging the apoc book around. The victory points for hull and wounds sounds good.

Stronghold could be the better buy. Im interested to see the points and rules for all the kits.
    I would like some trenches for my seige vanguard.

Apologies if previous post reads a little condescending. Just re-read it and thought I'd get a quick 'sorry, wasn't meant to' caveat in!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

None needed MM. But thanks anyway, your a true gent.

Brother-Sergeant

I think I'll pass then. The changes to FoC and scoring is something that can be easily kept track of without a book. I was hoping for more complex Superheavy rules that would have been left out of Apocalypse due to the possibility of slowing the game down too much, though I would have probably just used the more complex rules for 'lighter' games of Apocalypse (3-4000 pt range), if they were fully compatible.

Now, the advanced building/terrain rules in the other book, THAT sounds intriguing

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast