BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ulumeathi Plasma Syphon

This is a piece of wargear available to Ordos Xenos inquisitors. However, that means it now features in 2 codices, C:Grey Knights and C:Inquisition. In C:I, it has the following item description:

ULUMEATHI PLASMA SYPHON
    Models firing plasma weapons (as defined in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook) while
    within 12" of a model with an Ulumeathi Plasma Syphon will count as Ballistic Skill 1.
    Now, how I read this is that it means that any model firing a plasma gun, plasma pistol or plasma cannon within 12" of the bearer counts as BS1, as these are the weapons in the "plasma weapons" section of the rulebook.
    However, in the C:GK FAQ, an Ulumeathi Plasma Syphon affects the following weapons:

Q: What counts as a plasma weapon for the Ulumeathi Plasma
    Syphon? (p62)
    A: All Plasma weapons, as well as Eldar missile launchers firing
    plasma missiles, burst cannons, starcannons, all Tau pulse
    weapons and any weapon described as using ‘plasma’ as its
    effect or in its special rules.
    Now, this affects a far wider range of weapons than the C:I version, and is much more useful. Both cost the same number of points. The C:GK version also seems much more fluffy, and also actually worth the points.

If I included an Ordo Xenos inquisitor with an ulumeathi plasma syphon in my army, which rules would take precedent? If it depends on which codex you've selected the Inquisitor from, then does that mean I could have a GK main army, with an Inquisitorial detachment, and have 2 Ordos Xenos inquisitors with the same piece of wargear creating different game effects? If this is going to be updated, I seriously hope it goes the way of the GK version.

First-Captain

The FAQ is for Grey Knights. If that was the case other many marine armies can justify other factions fa ts as theirs. Rhinos and skyfire missiles come to mind.

Chapter-Master

If it uses the same wording, then use the GK FAQ. You're making an assumption when you, well, assume that it only refers to plasma pistols, rifles, and cannons. For one, there are several other plasma weapons in the game, plasma talons, that Leman Russ turret. Secondly, the FAQ basically explain what GW means by the vague term "plasma weapon". Since, for example, pulse rifles in the fluff fire small plasma bolts, GW considers them plasma weapons.

As for what chicop is saying... I'm not actually 100% sure what exactly chicop is saying. Just because an FAQ can apply to multiple codices doesn't mean that one army can start taking unit options from a different codex. Those are two very different situations, it's incorrect to compare the two.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I think the confusion is that the wording isn't the same ... not quite. Codex: Inquisition adds the phrase "(as defined in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook)," which Codex: Grey Knights does not have. Codex: Grey Knights instead says "(including plasma pistols, plasma guns and plasma cannons)."

I have to admit that I don't see any actual ambiguity in the C:I version - it looks to me like it applies to plasma pistols, plasma guns, and plasma cannons, as silly as that is (since it isn't even all Imperial plasma weapons with the word "plasma" in their names, let alone all plasma weapons). I certainly would allow an opponent to use the Grey Knights version. But I don't really see any reason to disregard what's written other than, "That's really silly."

Veteran-Sergeant

Best thing to do is ask Eddie on facebook - ask Eddie should be its own gw site tbh - anyway go on fb games workshop digital products page, ask him see what the reply is or if they are updating the digital book with that FAQ response.

Quote Originally Posted by Badtucker View Post
    Best thing to do is ask Eddie on facebook - ask Eddie should be its own gw site tbh - anyway go on fb games workshop digital products page, ask him see what the reply is or if they are updating the digital book with that FAQ response.
    That is a very good idea, going to do that now.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    That is a very good idea, going to do that now.
    dont forget to re post any response here

Ok, some else has asked the same question on the 20th of November, and Eddie's response was this:

I'll pass that on to our rules guys.
    For now, I'd probably say yes, as it's effectively the same item as the one in the Grey Knight Codex.
    (yes being to using the GK FAQ rules for it) So there may be an official update soon, but at the moment, use the FAQ.

So, next question.

Unit with the Plasma Syphon is lit up like a Christmas Tree by Marker Lights, and a unit of Firewarriors within 12" lets rip, boosting their BS up using the Market Light hits.

So they're boosting, Syphon is reducing. Officially, which is applied first?

I ask because I've always been aware you apply positives, followed by negatives. But for the life of me I couldn't tell you if that's just a general house rule!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    So, next question.

Unit with the Plasma Syphon is lit up like a Christmas Tree by Marker Lights, and a unit of Firewarriors within 12" lets rip, boosting their BS up using the Market Light hits.

So they're boosting, Syphon is reducing. Officially, which is applied first?

I ask because I've always been aware you apply positives, followed by negatives. But for the life of me I couldn't tell you if that's just a general house rule!
    Looking at the multiple modifiers section of the rulebook (pg2), you apply multipliers, then additions and subtractions simultaneously, and then finally any set values. So in the case of markerlights and syphon, the fire warriors would get the BS boost, then have it set at BS1, making the markerlights a wasted resource. I think thats how it would work anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast