BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite Sized 40k Game?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Above 2500 (Apoc and up for me!)

12 9.16%
  • 2000-2500 (A grand game)

36 27.48%
  • 1500-1850 (A good solid game)

70 53.44%
  • 1000 (Short and sweet)

6 4.58%
  • Below 1000 (Kill-team like games)

7 5.34%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Your favourite size game?

As the title says, how many points do you think per side is the best size game of 40k? (not apocalypse)
    Does number of players also help for you?

For me its between 3500-5000pts as it lets me use my siege assault vanguard in all its glory.

Moderator note: Poll added
    Last edited by Bigred; 11-22-2013 at 11:16 AM.

I prefer 1500-2500 points, normally that means about two games in one day...last game was 3000p and it took the whole day...it was still great game thou!
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Personally, I'm partial to 1750, it still goes pretty quickly, but there's just enough points for some really fun toys.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Occuli Imperator

It is small and quick, but most importantly, you have to make some seriously hard choices for every item, each upgrade is a hard thought out. As you get larger the points are not so hard to come by so a 15 point upgrade isn't a problem but at 1000pts it is a challenging decision.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Small games just arent an option with the seige vanguard, 1000pts wont allow purchases of the units neccessary to counter the seige objective rule.
    1750 is just about the minimum the vanguard can be used in. That relies on choosing the cheapest units in the sm codex across the board (cant have scouts, bikes or drop pods tho), as the advantages of the vanguard are 4 heavy slots and dreads as troops.

I prefer 1500 points, as it restricts your options, you can't have everything you want and need to make hard choices about what to drop while still allowing different combinations to be fielded. Another point that I like about 1500 and smaller games is that even if you take your time to think your moves through, the game still doesn't take too long.

1000 points is good, forces you to write concise lists, the game is over before I get bored and people don't get to use those netlist combos that break the game

Oh theres a net list for any game size buddy.
    If 1000pts became tournie standard they would be found.
    Back in 4th ed my group did 400pts for a good period of time. Turned out guard were pretty much unbeatable due to the sheer amount of cheap av12 tanks they could get (salamander scout tanks being down right nasty).
    You just mainly see netlists at 1500 to 2000 because thats tournie territory.
    Another reason i prefer bigger games (tho i loath apoc).

Veteran-Sergeant

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	if you dont like big games.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	5751

For me it falls between 1500-1850, or local tournament size. I won't play in 2,000+ point standard games because of the additional FOC abuse that begins at that level.

I will jump in on the occasional Apoc game to field 6,000-19,000+ points of Necrons.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast