BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite Sized 40k Game?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Above 2500 (Apoc and up for me!)

12 9.16%
  • 2000-2500 (A grand game)

36 27.48%
  • 1500-1850 (A good solid game)

70 53.44%
  • 1000 (Short and sweet)

6 4.58%
  • Below 1000 (Kill-team like games)

7 5.34%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm not terribly fond of the points spread as they're listed here. We play 1850 or (more often) 2000, where as 2500 basically never gets played outside of the occasional tag match. 2000 to me fits into the range of "standard" 40k, with plenty of tournaments falling in to that range as well, while 2500 falls into that awkward gap between a "standard" game and Apoc, and really doesn't tend to see much one-on-one play in my experience.

Chapter-Master

1000 points and about 20-30 models is just right for me.

Chaplain

I particularly enjoy the very small "skirmish" battles (500pts) AND the very large "Apocalypse" size battles (5000! pts). I guess I play enough mid-range points games that I particularly enjoy playing something a bit different!

1750 to 1850 for me.

No overly large table needed (4" or 6" by 4 should be sufficient), game plays for a good while and it doesn't take ages for your opponent to finish his movement and whatever he's doing in his turn (though this might depend on the player and being a bit more skilled in playing the game itself).

Anything bigger and it really depends on the army you both play. Playing 2500 points of Deathwing clearly is different than playing 2500 points of Orks (though that many Orks look impressive).

I would like to play smaller games at some point, and maybe mess around a bit more with different armies (since obviously 1000 points of an army is less of a money issue than having a 1500+ point army) or even armylists. Some armies I have will play differently in low points games... Fateweaver and/or a daemon prince in 1000 points is a significant expense there, and chances are it will die faster due to small arms fire cause people don't bring lots of tanks in general I guess.

And since, if I play at a store and have to travel by public transport... small games might be less of a transport issue.

Small games and Zone mortalis actually sound like fun. But then again, I guess there's other gamesystems for skirmish type of games as well.

As for apocalypse, I don't think I'd mind anything really big there... I played a 15k apoc battle once at the local GW store with 7 other people.. that was a mess. Later I played a 7k battle one on one and that was more of a success... so it's either the amount of players or just some players in general where I felt it dragged the game down a lot.
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

Librarian

for me its always been between 1850-2000 points this covers standard tournament lists and test lists at 1850 and honestly i like bigger games so 2000 is a nice round number. i know id like to try playing 2250 or 2500+ games every so often. i usually average a game a week mainly on the weekends. So one big game a week wouldn't bother me and it would allow me to play around with some different combinations. i know i have yet to actually fill an entire roster this edition. so more point means more chances to do so

Scout

I am definately APOC level... but if not dedicating the weekend i want it 750 (+/- 250) for a game that will run under 2 hours.

I like 1850+ i love double force org as long as people don't completely abuse it. I love big games so i can use all of my sons of medusa really cool to see them all on the field. But i under stand the hate of double force org. Personally i welcome it. You still have to do 2hqs and 4 troops. So honestly not that bad. Unless its chaos cultists with 6 turkeys. But with me i can use all my termis, dreads, and sternguard. Then heavy i have way too many choices, but hell i can use at least 6! I know a lot of people don't like double force org because they simply don't have the models.
    Purge the Weak!

Brother-Sergeant

I put 1500-1850, but thats only because 1250-1500 wasnt actually an option for some reason. I like the choices you have to make in list building, and the emphasis on troops that occurs in the smaller games, while still allowing heroes to be heroes and hammers to be hammers.

1750 is a good compromise if time is tight... have started playing 1400pts in a 2hour maximum... seems to work ok

1250-1500. I like it when you have to make hard choices and not get everything you want in a list. I feel that playing these point levels makes me a better player and I learn what my units are actually good at.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast